Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any of you gals out there want to be on TV?

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1
    :rofl: Another stupid reality show coming soon.

www.nerdgirls.com

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2
    Not so stupid.

4. Aug 24, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Why do they all look slutty? How about smart girls that don't look like a tramp? If I was that age, I would NOT want to be associated with that type of image, partying, vacuous fashion trends?

:yuck:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  5. Aug 24, 2010 #4
    I wouldn't mind :biggrin:

But on serious account, how successful the show would be if they don't use those kind of girls? From what I read, I believe this show is not targeting smart girls in science but rather girls who are not in science.

As for personal preference/opinion, partying/fashion following girls are not so "beautiful".

6. Aug 24, 2010 #5

Evo

Sure there are smart women/girls that like to party and have a vacuous side, but I think this will do more to intimidate smart girls that are not exhibitionists.

7. Aug 24, 2010 #6
    There are too many different kind of people but more important question is if those girls need external motivation, and there is no show that can target everyone. One thing I did not understand why a smart girl would get intimidated from a stupid show.

8. Aug 24, 2010 #7

Evo

The supposed goal of the show is to encourage girls to go into "nerdy" studies. :uhh:

9. Aug 24, 2010 #8
    Looks like the original intention of the site (nerdgirls.com) is pretty pure hearted. There is a visible lack of women in tech/science in general. I just have a hard time believing that this reality show will turn out to be little more than another "Real World" knock off with a trivia theme.

10. Aug 25, 2010 #9
    The original "nerd girl" group, started at Tuft University I think not sure, started out with good intentions. The goal was to try and bring more girls into STEM instead of the "helper roles" that girls usually go into. It seems that some network marketing jerk-off stumbled upon this idea and decided to twist into some kind of inane television show to make a buck.

11. Aug 25, 2010 #10
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook