Any of you guys out there followers of the NHL season?

• Thread starter Wellsi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone watching NHL games in Australia and learning the rules of the game, specifically the concept of a point. The point is awarded for both goals and assists, and is used to track a player's total contribution to the team's score.
Wellsi
Any of you guys out there followers of the NHL season?
Im here in Australia, watch every broadcasted game (yep only 2 per week how sad) and am loving it!
Took me a while to work out a few of your rules thou namely the offside and icing rules but that's ok now. But tell me. WHAT THE HELL IS A POINT? They give player stats and have goals, assists and points. WTF is a point?

Physics news on Phys.org
A player gets one point for each goal, and one point for each assist, so the points are the total number of goals + the total number of assists.

oh i see... but why do u add them up? what purpose does that serve?

1. How many teams are in the NHL?

The NHL currently has 31 teams, with 7 teams located in Canada and 24 teams in the United States.

2. When does the NHL season start and end?

The NHL season typically starts in early October and ends in early June, with the playoffs lasting until mid-June.

3. How is the NHL season structured?

The NHL season is divided into two conferences (Eastern and Western) and four divisions (Atlantic, Metropolitan, Central, and Pacific). Each team plays 82 regular season games, with the top three teams from each division and two wild card teams from each conference advancing to the playoffs.

4. Who are the current champions of the NHL?

The current champions of the NHL are the Tampa Bay Lightning, who won the Stanley Cup in the 2020-2021 season.

5. How can I watch NHL games?

NHL games are broadcasted on various channels and streaming services, such as NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, and NHL.tv. You can also attend games in person at your local team's arena.