Is Your Computer Safe from the Zotob Worm?

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
In summary,Zotob is now full blown and infecting massive amounts of Windows machines around the world. Make sure you update to the lastest patches offered by Microsoft.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
As I reported in my Internet Security Alert, Zotob is now full blown and infecting massive amounts of Windows machines around the world. Make sure you update to the lastest patches offered by Microsoft.

What's funny is that while CNN was reporting this, their own computers where being infected. :rofl:

[edit] Here is the patch:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-039.mspx

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 – Download the update

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 – Download the update

Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition – Download the update

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 – Download the update

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems – Download the update

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition – Download the update

[edit2] Symptoms include spontaneous rebooting. Meaning you'll probably have to format if you get the worm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Beautiful, the week that I actually have no anti-virus protection (recently formatted), a massive virus goes on peeing on everyones computer. Beautiful.

Hey, I've been warning people since Sunday.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=713725#post713725

Last edited:
Good thing the worm was not released on a wednesday :smile:

uh oh. I'm on 2000 at home and I was having trouble last night - but suspected a hardware problem. I would get three beeps out of the BIOS and then the machine would attempt to load Windows and almost immediately shut down. I finally got it booted up and rescued my data but I may be looking at a reformat.

I need to pay more attention to your posts, dd. I didn't see this coming.

MIH, I'll add you to my official PF Internet Security Alert System aka buddy list. :smile:

If anyone else is interested just ask me.

dduardo said:
MIH, I'll add you to my official PF Internet Security Alert System aka buddy list. :smile:
Awesome -- thanks! :approve:

dduardo said:

If anyone else is interested just ask me.

Thanks, and yes. Usually I update regularly but had fallen behind.

it won't let me run the updates! it says I do not have access to the needed files?

hypatia said:
it won't let me run the updates! it says I do not have access to the needed files?

Go to the updates page and get the new engine.

They just announced on ABC News that anyone affected should contact the FBI! Can that be right?

hypatia said:

What version of windows do you have?

2000 ME I went to the updates page a few weeks back and installed all the new service packs

Ivan Seeking said:
Go to the updates page and get the new engine.

They just announced on ABC News that anyone affected should contact the FBI! Can that be right?

No, don't contact the FBI.

I was watching CNN right before Larry King Live and they had a security spokeswomen from microsoft talking about the worm. When asked directly how many people does she estimate are affected by the worm, all she says is that the worm is of low risk. But then later on in the conversation she changes her stance to moderate risk.

Can't microsoft get their story straight.

hypatia said:
2000 ME I went to the updates page a few weeks back and installed all the new service packs

Yeah, well the patch was released last week (Aug 9), so your probably not safe.

great...{tries to stop panic attack} I'm going out now to buy a truck load of floppys.{deep breaths...in nose out mouth in nose out mouth}

dduardo said:
Can't microsoft get their story straight.
some day...some day...

There are really 3 remote exploits methods. The link above only patches what the current worm is attacking. This is just the first worm of many to come. That's why I recommend you get all the patches available on microsoft's update site.

update: turned out to be virus free, but I patched my machine right away. I think I have a loose video card that was giving me trouble.

anyway, thanks for your alerts dduardo.

looks like I got off easy. It didn't hit my company (or at least we patched before it did) and I didn't get hit on my home systems.

1. What is CNN and what does it stand for?

CNN is a cable news network that stands for Cable News Network.

2. Is CNN a reliable source of information?

CNN is considered a reputable news source by many, but it is important to consume information from multiple sources to get a well-rounded understanding of current events.

3. Why do people watch CNN?

People watch CNN to stay informed about current events, politics, and other news stories from around the world.

4. How does CNN gather its news and information?

CNN has reporters and correspondents stationed all over the world, as well as partnerships with other news agencies. They also have a team dedicated to fact-checking and verifying information before it is broadcasted.

5. Is CNN biased towards a certain political party or ideology?

CNN has been accused of bias by both conservatives and liberals, but they claim to strive for objectivity and have a diverse team of journalists. As with any news source, it is important to critically analyze the information presented and consider multiple perspectives.