Transfer Dilemma: UBC vs U of T ECE Engineering for Top Grad School Goals

• Thread starter kougou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ece
In summary, the speaker is a student from U of T ECE engineering who is considering transferring to UBC due to high living costs and his parents' desire for him to stay in Vancouver. He is worried about UBC's engineering program not being as good as U of T's, but the speaker assures him that both schools have equal research opportunities for undergraduates. The speaker recommends transferring to UBC if the student feels it will benefit him, but is curious about why UBC is asking him to wait another year. The student explains that UBC's first year courses are not exactly the same as U of T's and only 21 credits are granted, but the speaker advises him to stay another year and then make a decision.
kougou
llo, I am from U of T ECE engineering too. I am having a problem right now, could you please help me out? I just finish my first year engineering, and I applied transfer to UBC. The reason for transferring is because of high living costs and also because my parents want me to stay in Vancouver with them. So I am having trouble to decide where to go.

My goal is going to top grad school in the U.S. But apparently, from what I heard (from the Tas and friends), they told me UBC is not that good in engineering. Since I am interested in pursuing a master, research opportunities will definitely help. What I am worrying about is not the ranking of these two universities (because both are good university actually), is the fact that UBC might not be able to offer that much research opportunities as compare to U of T.

Also another thing is that UBC is asking me to stay another year. I don't know what to do.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, I don't know where you have heard that UBC's engineering program isn't very good -- as far as I'm aware of, UBC is a great school, with plenty of top-notch research performed by its engineering faculty, and many of its alumni pursuing graduate programs, both within Canada and the US.

As far as research opportunities are concerned for undergraduates, both UBC and U of T are about equal in terms of opportunities for students, especially if you pursue the NSERC USRA.

The bottom line is that I do not think you will be any worse off transferring to UBC than staying at U of T, so long as you maintain good grades, so if you feel you will be better off transferring there, I would say go for it.

I am curious though as to why UBC is asking you to wait another year -- the first year programs in both schools should be roughly equivalent. Did the registrar at UBC give a reason why?

StatGuy2000 said:
First of all, I don't know where you have heard that UBC's engineering program isn't very good -- as far as I'm aware of, UBC is a great school, with plenty of top-notch research performed by its engineering faculty, and many of its alumni pursuing graduate programs, both within Canada and the US.

As far as research opportunities are concerned for undergraduates, both UBC and U of T are about equal in terms of opportunities for students, especially if you pursue the NSERC USRA.

The bottom line is that I do not think you will be any worse off transferring to UBC than staying at U of T, so long as you maintain good grades, so if you feel you will be better off transferring there, I would say go for it.

I am curious though as to why UBC is asking you to wait another year -- the first year programs in both schools should be roughly equivalent. Did the registrar at UBC give a reason why?

Oh, because the course contents at U of T there are not "exactly the same" when comparing to UBC first year. Only 21 credits are granted. But as stated on the faculty's website, the minimum credit to promote into second year is 27, therefore, they want me to stay another year.

StatGuy2000 said:

But the main point is, these first year courses from UBC engineering are not related to its second year courses. (they are not per-requisite)

kougou said:
But the main point is, these first year courses from UBC engineering are not related to its second year courses. (they are not per-requisite)

Well, different schools offer slightly different ordering of courses, so that is not much of a surprise. But I'm not sure I understand when you say that 1st year courses from UBC engineering are not related. Are there specific courses required to be completed in 1st UBC that are not part of the curriculum in the U of T program? (please note that I did not study engineering, but I know people who have graduated from engineering programs at both U of T and UBC -- but I didn't ask them about the curriculum in detail).

Anyways, the bottom line for me is that if UBC said you need to stay another year, then you should stay another year, and then make your decision then. If you're still committed to transferring, then do so; otherwise stay at U of T. It's that simple!

1. What is the difference between UBC and U of T for ECE engineering?

Both UBC and U of T are highly reputable universities for ECE engineering, so the difference may not be significant. However, U of T is known for its research-intensive focus and has a larger faculty for ECE engineering compared to UBC. On the other hand, UBC has a more hands-on and practical approach to learning and offers a co-op program for students to gain work experience.

2. Which university will better prepare me for top graduate school programs?

Both UBC and U of T have strong ECE engineering programs that can prepare students for top graduate school programs. U of T's research-focused curriculum may be beneficial for students interested in pursuing a research-oriented graduate program. However, UBC's co-op program can provide students with valuable work experience that may make them more competitive for graduate school admissions. Ultimately, the best preparation for graduate school will depend on the individual student's goals and interests.

3. What are the job prospects after graduating from UBC or U of T with an ECE engineering degree?

Both UBC and U of T have strong reputations in the engineering industry, so job prospects for graduates from either university are generally good. However, UBC's co-op program may give its graduates an edge in the job market as they would have gained practical experience during their studies. It is also worth noting that job prospects may vary depending on the specific field within ECE engineering.

4. Will attending UBC or U of T give me a better chance of getting into a top graduate school?

Graduate school admissions are based on various factors such as academic performance, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. While attending a prestigious university like UBC or U of T may enhance your application, it is not a guarantee for admission into a top graduate school. It is essential to focus on excelling academically and gaining relevant experience to strengthen your graduate school application.

5. Can I transfer between UBC and U of T if I change my mind about my university choice?

It is possible to transfer between UBC and U of T, but it is a complex process and not guaranteed. Transferring between universities would depend on various factors such as the availability of spots in your desired program, your academic performance, and the compatibility of the courses you have completed at your current university with the curriculum at the new university. It is always best to thoroughly research and make an informed decision before choosing a university to avoid the need for transferring.