Analogies for Gravitational Attraction in Physics

In summary, the video is a demonstration of how mass affects space and how space affects mass. It uses an analogy of a trampoline to show how gravity works.
geordief
TL;DR Summary
We have the trampoline to be sure but are there others?
I am thinking of the mechanism that causes mass-energy to curve spacetime

We have the Wheeler (was it ?)description, viz approx "mass tells spacetime how to curve and spacetime tells matter how to move...".

Are there any analogous circumstances in other areas of physics where all (or a subgroup of)objects attract each other and never repel?

I am just asking for the sake of being able to get some kind of intuition as to the effect and not in any hope that this might offer any real insight...

Physics news on Phys.org
The trampoline is a terrible analogy because it's demonstrating spatial curvature, which is only a tiny part of gravity in all but the most extreme circumstances. The ##tt## component of the Schwarzschild metric, which is responsible for almost all day to day gravitational effects, is not illustrated at all.

@A.T. produced this video, which is a much more honest illustration. I believe he says it is based on representations in the book "Relativity visualised" by Lewis Carroll Epstein.

Likes Dale
Ibix said:
The trampoline is a terrible analogy because it's demonstrating spatial curvature, which is only a tiny part of gravity in all but the most extreme circumstances. The ##tt## component of the Schwarzschild metric, which is responsible for almost all day to day gravitational effects, is not illustrated at all.

@A.T. produced this video, which is a much more honest illustration. I believe he says it is based on representations in the book "Relativity visualised" by Lewis Carroll Epstein.

Yes,I have seen that one.

I would class that as an analogy too (and yes,I am asking for analogies) but I was fishing for some kind of a circumstance where all (or all of a class of) objects exert a force of attraction on each other-no repulsion involved.

As I say ,it is just a request based on personal curiosity rather than based on anything of threal importance.

Edit: see you have changed the video.Will have a look at it later

Edit#2 the video seems to have "reverted back" Apologies.

Seems to be a smorgasbord of related videos showing .I can't keep up with this new fangled youtube thing.

Last edited:

1. What is gravitational attraction in physics?

Gravitational attraction is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is one of the fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies.

2. How does gravitational attraction work?

Gravitational attraction works by the principle that objects with mass are attracted to each other. The strength of the force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass and the closer the distance, the stronger the gravitational attraction.

3. What is the role of analogies in understanding gravitational attraction?

Analogies can help us understand complex concepts like gravitational attraction by comparing them to simpler, more familiar concepts. For example, comparing the attraction between two objects with mass to the pull of a magnet can make the concept easier to visualize and understand.

4. Can you provide an analogy for gravitational attraction?

One analogy for gravitational attraction is the rubber sheet analogy. Imagine a rubber sheet stretched out and a heavy object placed in the middle, causing the sheet to sag. This represents how mass causes space to curve, and objects with less mass will be pulled towards the heavier object, just like how objects on the rubber sheet will roll towards the center.

5. How does the equation for gravitational attraction (F = Gm1m2/r^2) relate to the concept of analogies?

The equation for gravitational attraction is a mathematical representation of the concept, but it may be difficult for some to understand. Analogies can help bridge the gap between the equation and the concept by providing a visual or relatable comparison. For example, the equation can be represented by a magnet pulling a paperclip, with the magnet's strength representing the mass and the distance between them representing r in the equation.