Is Ruby Still Relevant in the World of Programming?

• Thread starter G037H3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ruby
In summary, the conversation is about preferences between Ruby and Python as programming languages. One person prefers Ruby for its flexibility and syntax, but the other person mentions that Python has a more mature implementation and a good visual debugger. They also mention that they learned Ruby as one of their first programming languages but now use Python more frequently. One person also dislikes duck-typed programming.
G037H3
Any other Ruby developers? :)

Pure Ruby or RoR, I don't care. Anyone else love this language? :D

Technology news on Phys.org

I finally get around to learning Python and you go and swap focus. Not impressed.

JaredJames said:
I finally get around to learning Python and you go and swap focus. Not impressed.

Haha! It's too inflexible for me. I really prefer TMTOWTDI. I'm too right-brained I guess :wink:

G037H3 said:
Pure Ruby or RoR, I don't care. Anyone else love this language? :D
I do! I actually learned to program in it before learning Python...

Having said that, I actually do more Python programming than Ruby although I still do a fair bit of Ruby programming. The problem is that while I prefer the Ruby syntax, Python still has a more mature implementation. For example, Python 3.0 has done away with lists as default containers and have moved onto generators. After all, you rarely actually need the list and, in the rare times that you do, you can make one out of your generator! Ruby is still using lists, for now...

Also, and this is the real kicker for me, there exists a good visual debugger for Python called WinPDB. Sadly, there's nothing like it for Ruby...

It was amongst the first programming languages I've learned. I still use it for occasional tinkering but it's far too slow for me to love, that and I very much dislike duck-typed programming.

1. What is the average salary for a Ruby developer?

The average salary for a Ruby developer varies depending on factors such as location, experience, and company size. According to Glassdoor, the national average salary for a Ruby developer is $89,000 per year.

2. What skills are necessary for a Ruby developer?

In addition to a strong understanding of the Ruby programming language, a Ruby developer should also possess skills in object-oriented programming, web development, and database management. Familiarity with other web development languages such as HTML, CSS, and JavaScript is also beneficial.

3. What is the job outlook for Ruby developers?

The job outlook for Ruby developers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 21% between 2019 and 2029 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is much faster than the average for all occupations.

4. Are there any certifications or training programs for Ruby developers?

Yes, there are various certifications and training programs available for Ruby developers. Some popular options include the Ruby Association Certified Ruby Programmer exam, the Ruby on Rails Tutorial course, and the Rails Girls program. Additionally, many universities and coding bootcamps offer courses in Ruby and web development.

5. What are some common projects or tasks for Ruby developers?

Ruby developers may be responsible for tasks such as building web applications, creating and maintaining databases, implementing security measures, and troubleshooting issues. They may also work on projects such as e-commerce websites, content management systems, and mobile applications.