Optimal Methods for Factoring Equations

• Thread starter uperkurk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses factoring equations and the preferred method of factoring, with mention of Wolfram not always listing the correct way and the importance of using the distributive law.
uperkurk
I'm factoring some equations and the way I do it seems correct and Wolfram often lists my way of factoring it but it's like the 5th or 6th one down.

Just wondering if it's like fractions where the best answer is the lowest the fraction can be reduced to.

For example I say that:

[tex]3a+6a^2+15a^3 = 3a(1+2a+5a^2)[/tex]

Wolfram doesn't list my way of factoring it when I input the equation to be factored, but I know it's correct because when I input my factored form instead of the original problem, it lists the original problem as a solution.

Any particular way to be factoring these? Like highest exponenets first, not using 1 ect?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
uperkurk said:
I'm factoring some equations and the way I do it seems correct and Wolfram often lists my way of factoring it but it's like the 5th or 6th one down.

Just wondering if it's like fractions where the best answer is the lowest the fraction can be reduced to.

For example I say that:

That is simply the "distributive law": a(b+ c)= ab+ ac.

Wolfram doesn't list my way of factoring it when I input the equation to be factored, but I know it's correct because when I input my factored form instead of the original problem, it lists the original problem as a solution.
I am puzzled by your saying this. When I put "3a+ 6a^3+ 15a^3" into Wolfram alpha, it gives me quite a lot of information- such as the real root, 0, and two complex roots, and one thing it tells me is that it can also be written as "3a(5a^2+ 2a+ 1)".

Any particular way to be factoring these? Like highest exponenets first, not using 1 ect?

Last edited by a moderator:
uperkurk said:

For example I say that:

Mathematica 8 gives your answer with either of the following inputs: Factor[3 x + 6 x^2 + 15 x^3] or Factor[3x + 6x^2 + 15x^3]. What version or format are you using? Note "Factor" must begin with a capital F and the expression must be put within square brackets, etc.

Last edited:
What I mean is which is prefered?

http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP28661e08b41157f5gd7f000040c225hah823i3e2?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=44&w=117.&h=18.

http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP6901egf7iaae09973c30000473gfi1489a2g5df?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=62&w=120.&h=18.

http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP37931i702gba3e39i9350000348g19dci0927517?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=16&w=116.&h=22.

Are these all completely 100% equivalent or would an examiner prefer to see a certain layout?

uperkurk said:
What I mean is which is prefered?

http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP28661e08b41157f5gd7f000040c225hah823i3e2?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=44&w=117.&h=18.

http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP6901egf7iaae09973c30000473gfi1489a2g5df?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=62&w=120.&h=18.

http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP37931i702gba3e39i9350000348g19dci0927517?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=16&w=116.&h=22.

Are these all completely 100% equivalent or would an examiner prefer to see a certain layout?
I don't know what an examiner would prefer, but the layout you used in the original post is both my preferred way and what Mathematical used. I don't see a bunch of choices like you suggested. Mathematica 8 only gave me 3 a ( 1 + 2 a + 5 a^2)!

1. How do I know when to use a particular way to factor?

The best way to determine when to use a particular way to factor is to first identify the type of polynomial you are trying to factor. Different methods work best for different types of polynomials, so understanding the characteristics of the polynomial can help guide your decision.

2. Is there a specific order in which I should try different ways to factor?

There is no set order in which you should try different ways to factor. Some people prefer to start with the most commonly used method, such as factoring by grouping or using the quadratic formula, while others may prefer to try different methods until one is successful. Ultimately, it depends on personal preference and the specific polynomial you are trying to factor.

3. Can I use more than one method to factor a polynomial?

Yes, you can use multiple methods to factor a polynomial. In fact, some polynomials may require the use of multiple methods in order to fully factor them. It is important to be familiar with different factoring methods so that you can use them effectively and efficiently.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for factoring polynomials?

While there are no universal shortcuts or tricks for factoring polynomials, some methods may be quicker or more efficient for certain types of polynomials. For example, if a polynomial has a common factor, factoring by grouping may be faster than using the quadratic formula. It is important to practice and become familiar with different methods in order to find the most efficient approach for each polynomial.

5. What do I do if I can't seem to factor the polynomial using any particular method?

If you are having trouble factoring a polynomial using a particular method, it may be helpful to try a different method or to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor. Some polynomials may require a combination of methods or more advanced factoring techniques, so it is important to have a solid understanding of the basics and to be open to trying different approaches.