Any past physics olympians here?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of preparing for the Olympics and the experiences of the speaker, who participated in a previous Olympics in Cuba as a member of the Singapore team. The speaker also shares about the food, music, and beautiful surroundings in Cuba, as well as the participation of other countries and the resources they used for preparation.
rockinwhiz
I really would like to know the process of your preparation... Like how and when you started preparing, what growth you saw in your problem solving capacity and so on. Kindly share about the beautiful journey. If possible, give me some tips/resources as I'm also an aspiring olympian.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did it long ago when it was held in Cuba as a member of the Singapore team. Food in Cuba was great and so was the music. The beaches were stunning and old Havana was beautiful. The Americans did take part. One of their members won the prize for the highest score by a female, but she declined it as she did not want to be recognized on that basis. The Chinese won 5 golds. I studied Halliday and Resnick, bits of Beiser, and some of the problems of past Olympiads published by World Scientific.

Likes DennisN, wukunlin, rockinwhiz and 2 others
atyy said:
I did it long ago when it was held in Cuba as a member of the Singapore team. Food in Cuba was great and so was the music. The beaches were stunning and old Havana was beautiful. The Americans did take part. One of their members won the prize for the highest score by a female, but she declined it as she did not want to be recognized on that basis. The Chinese won 5 golds. I studied Halliday and Resnick, bits of Beiser, and some of the problems of past Olympiads published by World Scientific.
That's damn cool!

Likes atyy

1. How can I become a physics olympian?

To become a physics olympian, you must first participate in and excel at local and national physics competitions. Then, you can apply to represent your country at the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO) where you will compete against other top physics students from around the world.

2. What are the benefits of participating in the physics olympiad?

Participating in the physics olympiad can provide you with valuable experience in problem-solving, critical thinking, and teamwork. It can also open up opportunities for scholarships, internships, and further education in physics.

3. Is there an age limit for participating in the physics olympiad?

Yes, to participate in the IPhO, you must be under the age of 20 on July 1st of the year of the competition. However, some local and national physics competitions may have different age requirements.

4. What kind of topics are covered in the physics olympiad?

The physics olympiad covers a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. It also includes both theoretical and experimental components.

5. Can you give any tips for preparing for the physics olympiad?

Some tips for preparing for the physics olympiad include studying past competition questions, practicing problem-solving regularly, and seeking guidance from experienced mentors or coaches. It is also important to have a strong foundation in physics concepts and to stay updated on current developments in the field.