Any PCB designers out there.

• Thread starter Jobrag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pcb
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of soldered-in fuses in PCB designs and the reasoning behind it. It is suggested that this ensures a competent person will replace the fuse and avoids the potential danger of using a larger fuse. Additionally, the conversation highlights the importance of designed-in safety, citing examples from early Ford vehicles. The conversation concludes by suggesting that the use of soldered-in fuses may be a preventative measure or simply for ease of assembly.
Jobrag
Any PCB designers, why oh why oh why do you inflict those (insert profanity) awful fuses that are soldered to the board, fuses in fuse holders make life so much easier.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've been frustrated by those myself.

Only reason i can think of is this -
in some circles the fix for a blowing fuse is to put in a bigger one. Ever heard the phrase "Put a penny behind the fuse" ? That has burned down a lot of homes.
The soldered in fuse assures that it will be replaced only by somebody who has at least an inkling of what he is doing.

I like designed-in safety. Henry Ford was a genius at such things - headlight circuits in early Fords were protected by thermal overloads that cycled as they heated and cooled, so a faulted wire to a headlight would cause them to cycle on and off allowing you to limp home. A fuse would have left you with no lights at all. My '53 Ford was so wired and i think it dates back to 1929 Model A.

Some 1980's Fords have a headlight fuse inside the dimmer switch, which assures that should the headlight circuit develop a short it'll get fixed by somebody with at least the competence to find it, instead of putting in a bigger fuse and setting the car afire.

I don't know how it's done today.

So the answer to your question might be the proverbial 'ounce of prevention'
or it might be simply saving a step in assembly.

When studying designs it is often fruitful to ask yourself "Why would a rational man have done this?"

old jim

1. What is a PCB designer?

A PCB designer is a professional who designs printed circuit boards (PCBs) used in electronic devices. They are responsible for creating the layout, placement of components, and routing of electrical connections on the PCB.

2. What qualifications or skills are required to become a PCB designer?

To become a PCB designer, one typically needs a degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or a related field. They should also have strong skills in computer-aided design (CAD) software, knowledge of circuitry and electronics, and attention to detail.

3. What is the process of designing a PCB?

The process of designing a PCB typically involves several steps, including schematic capture, component placement, routing, and verification. Schematic capture involves creating a diagram of the circuit to be designed. Component placement involves selecting and placing electronic components on the PCB. Routing involves creating the electrical connections between components. Finally, verification involves checking the design for errors and ensuring it meets specifications.

4. What are some common challenges faced by PCB designers?

Some common challenges faced by PCB designers include managing complex designs with a large number of components, ensuring proper signal integrity and power distribution, and meeting design constraints such as size, cost, and manufacturability. They also need to keep up with advancements in technology, materials, and manufacturing processes.

5. What are the important considerations for designing a high-quality PCB?

Some important considerations for designing a high-quality PCB include selecting appropriate materials, ensuring proper thermal management, minimizing signal interference, and optimizing the design for manufacturability. It is also important to thoroughly test and verify the design before production to ensure functionality and reliability.