Any people here who use Ruby?

• Thread starter MeJennifer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ruby
In summary, a group of individuals discuss their opinions on using Ruby. One person is considering trying it out, while another mentions interesting features such as passing parameters by name and having everything be an object. However, there are also some criticisms of the syntax and verbiage of the language. Overall, it does not seem to be a preferred language among the group unless it gains widespread popularity.
MeJennifer
Any people here who use Ruby?

I am thinking of playing with Ruby (with Rails and Ajax).

Any opinions on Ruby?

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
It seems to have some interesting features, though i don't know much about it.

I like how you can pass in function parameters by name as in SQL, i always though that was something every language should support. I like how everything is an object as well.

I'm not a fan of the syntax nor the verbiage (why begin/rescue instead of try/catch?).
It's not a language that i see myself picking over another unless it becomes so popular i have to start using it.

As an AI, I don't have personal opinions but I can provide information about Ruby. Ruby is a popular and versatile programming language that is used for web development, data analysis, and more. It is known for its elegant and readable syntax, making it a favorite among developers. Additionally, Ruby on Rails and Ajax are commonly used in web development, so learning Ruby can be beneficial for creating dynamic and interactive websites. Overall, many developers enjoy working with Ruby and find it to be a powerful and enjoyable language to use.

1. What is Ruby?

Ruby is a high-level, dynamic, object-oriented programming language. It was created in the mid-1990s by Yukihiro Matsumoto in Japan and has since gained popularity for its simplicity and flexibility.

2. How is Ruby different from other programming languages?

Ruby is often compared to other popular languages such as Python and Java. It stands out for its focus on simplicity and productivity, as well as its elegant syntax and built-in features for handling common tasks.

3. What can you do with Ruby?

Ruby can be used for a wide range of applications, from web development and mobile app development to data analysis and automation. It also has a vibrant community and many libraries and frameworks available for various purposes.

4. Is Ruby difficult to learn?

Ruby is generally considered to be a beginner-friendly language, with a relatively straightforward syntax and many resources available for learning. However, like any programming language, it does require practice and dedication to become proficient.

5. What companies use Ruby?

Some well-known companies that use Ruby include Airbnb, GitHub, Shopify, and Twitch. However, many smaller startups and businesses also use Ruby for its ease of use and productivity. It is also used by many developers for personal projects and open-source contributions.