Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any PF Burners?

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    On the off chance that there are, I thought this would be a good place to get a discussion going.

For those that are interested and don't know, I'm referring to anyone that has, or plans to, attend(ed) Burning Man. It would be interesting to see who is out there.

Also... this would be a good way to throw out ideas for theme camps if there were enough of us who wanted to do something science related.

DISCUSS!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2011 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Nov 6, 2011 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Hasn't BM become so mainstream that it's now exclusively populated by hipsters who only attend ironically? :uhh:

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What exactly is Burning Man?

6. Nov 7, 2011 #5
    I went this past year for the first time... and I would say not at all. Even all the 'veteran burners' I talked to said this past year had as good of a feel as any. There are some hipsters mucking about, as well as those who go just to party, but if you read up on the event, you come to see that it's not about all that. And the majority of people who go are awesome.

I ended up having a great conversation with a couple Google executives about random stuff, as well as a little about their jobs. They are so many people from so many backgrounds (and countries) that go, that it's already worth it. I can't wait to get my tickets again for next year.

7. Nov 7, 2011 #6

Yeah... that one got a little hostile for no reason near the end. That's really cool that it's on your list. Next year would be a great year to do it! See above post... I had such a blast it was ridiculous. It can also be very life changing.

8. Nov 7, 2011 #7
    http://burningman.com/first_timers/

If anyone has questions about the event or my experience from this past year (2011), feel free to PM me.

9. Nov 7, 2011 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seems to me like a long Mardis gras, hotter maybe... fewer beads. If anyone's been there, is it mostly college age folks? Any lumberjacks? Bikers? CEOs?

10. Nov 7, 2011 #9
    I'm 24 and I was probably below the average and/or median age while there. But it's hard to tell... there are all sorts of people and ages. The oldest I saw was a guy who must have been around 85 or higher, and there are a few kids here and there (5-10).

Also... while I didn't meet any lumberjacks, I'm sure there were at least one or two there. I met some bikers (who made their bikes into art vehicles) and I met two Google executives, or higher-ups. Not CEO's, but pretty close from what they told me.

11. Nov 7, 2011 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I gotta say, it's intriguing. I'm in between my "freaky days," what with small kids in my care. I'm also assuming it's not completely a drug-crazy thing, but more of a bizarre collection of people. Any good music?

The heat would be the worst part, for me.

12. Nov 7, 2011 #11

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Is it a dry heat? I can handle that. Building bombs or transporting cruise missiles in 100+ weather with 75%+ humidity has built up my heat resistance. There's nothing like getting rained on for 10 minutes and having the blazing sun come right back out about 5 times a day on a tropical island while you're wearing a full pants and a shirt to make you heat resistant.

13. Nov 7, 2011 #12
    There are all kinds of music. The majority you'll hear is house/techno/dance, however it's VERY GOOD house/techno/dance, which if you haven't heard of that quality can be quite intriguing. You have to look a little harder for other music, but I saw a great performance of Cello Joe, a nice indie rock band, some blues singers, and a performance violinist while there without even trying. I myself am a pianist, so that was a real treat for me!

The heat is super dry. I'm from the west coast of Michigan and the summers there are brutally hot with very high humidity (something akin to New York City on a really bad summer day). The temperature for the week was probably an average of 90-95 degrees everyday, and maybe a little hotter during the middle of the day in the sun... but it didn't feel like anything at all. You just have to make sure to drink lots of water and get some salts into your body. Shade makes a big difference as well (more than you're probably used to).

It's not an event for the faint of heart, that's for sure. However, it's not like climbing Mount Everest or something. All sorts of people go and have a great time. However, you must PREPARE PREPARE PREPARE. It's a TON of work getting there and having everything you need (you need to provide your own food, water, amenities, and way to dispose of everything for a whole week!) so it's very important you read every document on the BM website for months before you go. If you prepare though, you'll have a blast. Plus, it's a gifting community, so if you accidentally forgot something people are very willing to help out. But don't go thinking you can just mooch off of people, obviously.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook