Cropping Panoramas in Photoshop: How to Maintain Original Pixel Size?

• Thread starter Physics is Phun
  • Start date
In summary, the person has recently started using Photoshop and a panoramic program called Autopano. They have successfully created large panoramas and are now trying to crop them without losing the original pixel size. However, it seems that the crop tool can only choose between regular photo dimensions and a chosen resolution, which is not helpful for their large panoramas. After some experimentation, they figure out that they can delete the preset crop options and the image will automatically crop to the native resolution. They also mention that the image size can be adjusted in centimeters or inches, but this may affect the quality of the image. They have successfully figured out how to crop their images while maintaining the original pixel size and are excited to make prints.
Physics is Phun
so I've picked up photoshop and this awesome panoramic program called Autopano this last week.
i've made some big panoramas in the 20000x10000 pixel range and I'm trying to crop them in photoshop.
is there a way to crop and keep your original pixel size? as far as I can see you can only choose between your regular photo dimensions for the crop and then input any resolution you want. which is what I do for when I'm dealing with normal pictures because i can just do the math and get the correct dimensions with the pixels. however with these crazy panoramas there's no was I can calculate the crop resolution so I won't be going too high or too low. So is there a way I'm not finding where I can crop to the dimensions I want, and keep the native resolution of the image?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have an older version, but I wouldn't think it would be any different in a newer version - Just use the crop tool, outline what you want to crop, and hit the "commit changes" button.

Not entirely sure what you mean here. The image consists of a certain amount of pixels and information about how much the resolution is in dots per inch, so that it'll get correctly scaled in layout programs and prints (otherwise I don't think it matters).

What you're looking to do is to crop the image, that is cut away pixels, and yet not lose any pixels? You can't do that - but you can crop it, and then click image - image size and type in the original amount of pixels so that it'll get resized back up. You'll lose some quality by doing that. In the image size thing you'll also be able to resize the image in centimetres or inches - play with it to see how it works.

ok i got it figured out. you can just delete the preset 4x6 at 300dpi things and it will automatically crop to native resolution.
what I meant though, was that it would normally default to a 4x6 at 300dpi crop. so if i cropped something slightly it would reduce the file to an 1800x1200 image even though there are more pixels than that there. I wanted it to keep the exact pixel size that was coming out of the camera, not force it to keep 300dpi at 4x6. but it seemed I got that figured out and workin. time to make some big prints!

Physics is Phun said:
ok i got it figured out. you can just delete the preset 4x6 at 300dpi things and it will automatically crop to native resolution.
what I meant though, was that it would normally default to a 4x6 at 300dpi crop. so if i cropped something slightly it would reduce the file to an 1800x1200 image even though there are more pixels than that there. I wanted it to keep the exact pixel size that was coming out of the camera, not force it to keep 300dpi at 4x6. but it seemed I got that figured out and workin. time to make some big prints!
I think you're talking about the resolution? I don't understand.

1. What is Photoshop?

Photoshop is a software program developed by Adobe that is used for image editing and manipulation.

2. Can anyone learn how to use Photoshop?

Yes, anyone can learn how to use Photoshop with practice and the right resources. There are many tutorials and courses available for beginners to learn the basics and more advanced techniques.

3. Is Photoshop only used for editing photos?

No, Photoshop can be used for a variety of purposes such as graphic design, digital art, and creating animations. It has a wide range of tools and features that can be used for different types of projects.

4. Are there any alternatives to Photoshop?

Yes, there are other software programs that offer similar features to Photoshop such as GIMP, Corel PaintShop Pro, and Affinity Photo. However, Photoshop is still considered the industry standard and is widely used by professionals.

5. Do I need a powerful computer to run Photoshop?

While a powerful computer can make the editing process smoother and faster, Photoshop can still be used on less powerful devices. It is recommended to have at least 8GB of RAM and a dedicated graphics card for optimal performance.