What is your favorite branch of physics?

In summary, the conversation centered around the participants' favorite branches of physics. Some mentioned astronomy and nuclear physics, while others enjoyed quantum physics and space travel. Mathematically beautiful theories and holography were also mentioned. General relativity, statistical mechanics, topological field theory, and classical electrodynamics were other branches of interest. The participants also discussed their struggles with quantum mechanics and the importance of understanding it in the field of physics. Some mentioned their interest in applied areas such as fluid mechanics and optics. Overall, there was a wide range of favorite branches and interests among the participants.
Alexander*GR*
Guys can you tell me your favorite physics branches (even theories) i want to start reading one

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronomy and nuclear physics here.

I personally enjoy quantum, and anything to do with space travel.

Difficult to pick a single branch. Dare I say that it's impossible?

I really like mathematically beautiful theories, this I've learned the past year while studying GR and analytical mechanics (the manifold kind). A course in QM I'm studying now has my full attention as well. The level of mathematical rigour is probably related with the fact that our instructor is a mathematical physicist.

What I also liked is the little taste of Holography (AdS/CFT mostly) we got in an elective course. It's awesome to see how really involved calculations become rather easy when switching between the field theory and it's gravity dual.

On the more 'practical' side of the spectrum, non-equilibrium stat. mech. was great to study as well. Although I'm a long way of really grasping all subtleties.

-Joris

For me it is GR with statistical mechanics a close second.

General relativity, although I am not very good at it! T_T

Topological Field Theory is the area I would like most to learn more about

That's tough, but I'd say it's classical electrodynamics for me. Then probably stat mech for second.

Since my first physics lecture I always had a special place in my heart for "measurements and units".

George Jones said:

Oh very nice, thank you! A proper GR book by Choquet-Bruhat is definitely awesome, her other GR book was too hard for me. But I can't buy this for a while because I just dropped some 80 bucks on Eric Poisson's new book on GR and Post-Newtonian mechanics, which you should definitely check out because the book is extremely, extremely good and is lush with calculations. The title is "Gravity: Newtonian, Post-Newtonian, Relativistic".

Alexander*GR* said:
Guys can you tell me your favorite physics branches (even theories) i want to start reading one

I like most (probably all :tongue2:) branches of physics, since I seem to have had a fundamental interest in physics all my life. What I mean is that I haven't yet stumbled upon an area which I found uninteresting. But I am a layman; I have studied basic classical physics and basic experimental physics, beyond that I have studied some other physics on my own, because I felt like it (I couldn't keep away from it).

But if I had to choose some favorite branches, let's say three, the first one would be particle physics. I've been interested in it since I first saw a picture of the atom (Bohr model) at age 13 ca. I haven't lost my interest in particles since then. And I'm still learning...

The second favorite would be quantum physics, and the third one would be astrophysics/cosmology.

Last edited:
I'm kind of all over the map as a general rule, but currently I am really interested in special relativity and the concept of quantum mechanical linear vector spaces.

If I was to go to graduate school, I'd choose something that doesn't involve quantum mechanics. I took a quantum mechanics class and I was lost. I passed somehow, but I just did not understand it. The problem, though, is that if you want to get involved in any physics field, it seems like you're going to have to know at least a little bit about quantum mechanics. It's how the universe works.

I'd say fluid mechanics, thermal physics, and optics (namely lasers).

Definitely the more applied areas.

Last edited:
General Relativity and its alternatives
Quantum field theories and Quantum gravity
Foundational and philosophical issues related to quantum mechanics, measurement problem and a little quantum information and quantum computing

Fluid dynamics (Engine and airframe related) and general astronomy with a touch of planetary geology and paleontology.

Special and General Relativity. Interest is growing for Statistical mechanics and Fluid dynamics.

What is your favorite branch of physics?

As a scientist, I have a deep appreciation and interest in all branches of physics. However, if I had to choose, my favorite branch would be astrophysics. I am fascinated by the study of the universe and its celestial objects, and the application of physics principles to understand their behavior.

Why do you prefer astrophysics over other branches of physics?

The vastness and complexity of the universe never cease to amaze me. Astrophysics allows me to explore and understand the fundamental laws of physics in extreme environments, such as black holes, supernovas, and galaxies. It also has practical applications, such as in satellite technology and space exploration.

What makes astrophysics different from other branches of physics?

Astrophysics is unique in that it deals with objects and phenomena that are beyond our immediate reach and observation. This requires the use of advanced theories, models, and technology to study and understand the universe. It also involves collaboration with other scientific disciplines, such as astronomy, mathematics, and computer science.

What are some current research topics in astrophysics?

Some current research topics in astrophysics include the study of dark matter and energy, the formation and evolution of galaxies, the search for habitable exoplanets, and the detection of gravitational waves. These topics are constantly evolving and expanding as we continue to learn more about the universe.

What advice would you give to someone interested in studying astrophysics?

I would encourage them to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as a curiosity and passion for the unknown. It is also important to have a strong understanding of computer programming and data analysis, as these skills are essential in conducting research in astrophysics. And most importantly, never stop asking questions and never stop learning.