Any point in getting that PhD?

• Thread starter Meta14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Point
In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to pursue a PhD in physics and the factors that should be considered before making the decision. It is important to consider personal motivations and goals, as well as the expectations and sacrifices that come with a PhD program. Ultimately, a PhD is a training course for becoming a researcher and may not be the best fit for everyone.
Meta14
For the longest time, I've wanted to get a PhD in physics, because I just found everything involving it facinating. I found both the microscopic and the macroscopic worlds it describes very interesting. In light of my academic progress in maths, I don't appear to be getting it, despite my efforts, and wonder if it I should even attempt it.

Care to share your tales of gallantry and woe in pursuing this quest?

Physics news on Phys.org
The real question to ask yourself is why do you want a PhD? I'm a biologist and I'm hoping to start a PhD later this year (got a place just need the funding). I completed my BSc and MSc and want to continue to a PhD because I love research and want to have an academic career in regenerative medicine research. For that a PhD is a logical step.

There are many reasons not to do a PhD; if you want a Monday-Friday 9-5 job where you can go in, do a bit of science or engineering and go home then a PhD isn't for you. If you want to earn lots of money and have a good social life then a PhD isn't for you. If you want a PhD because you find a subject interesting then a PhD maybe isn't for you (you have to really care to want to spend so much time and energy).

So that's it really, why do you want a PhD?

A PhD is a 3+ years training course to become a researcher.

If you don't want to be a researcher, don't do a PhD

Ryan_m_b said:
If you want to earn lots of money and have a good social life then a PhD isn't for you.

Disagree with that statement. Physics Ph.D.'s can make either decent or outstanding amounts of money. If you want to maximize income with minimal effort, there are better ways, but having a Ph.D. isn't a permanent vow of poverty.

Also, "good social life" depends on what you mean by good social life. If you are a hyper-geek that likes to stick together with other hyper-geeks, then Ph.D.'s are good. Anyone that gets a Ph.D. has to be a little crazy, and good things happen when Ph.D.'s get together.

I can understand your fascination with physics and your desire to pursue a PhD in the field. It is a challenging and rewarding path to take, and I commend you for your efforts thus far. Pursuing a PhD is a significant commitment, both in terms of time and effort, and it is important to carefully consider if it is the right path for you.

I cannot speak for everyone's experiences, but I can share my own journey in pursuing a PhD. It was certainly a challenging and at times, a daunting task. However, the knowledge and skills I gained, and the contributions I made to my field, were well worth the struggles. It is a journey that requires determination, perseverance, and a strong passion for the subject.

That being said, it is also important to keep in mind that a PhD is not the only path to a successful career in physics. There are many opportunities in research, industry, and academia for those with a bachelor's or master's degree in physics. It ultimately depends on your individual goals and interests.

If you are truly passionate about physics and determined to pursue a PhD, I would encourage you to continue your efforts and seek guidance from mentors and advisors in the field. They can provide valuable insights and advice on your academic progress and potential paths for your future. Ultimately, the decision to pursue a PhD should be based on your own personal goals and aspirations, and not solely on external factors such as academic progress.

I wish you all the best in your academic journey, and I hope you find success and fulfillment in whatever path you choose. Remember, the pursuit of knowledge and understanding is a lifelong journey, and a PhD is just one step on that journey.

What is the benefit of getting a PhD?

Obtaining a PhD can open up a variety of opportunities in both academia and industry. It can lead to higher salary potential, increased job security, and the ability to conduct independent research.

How long does it typically take to earn a PhD?

The length of time it takes to earn a PhD can vary depending on the field of study and the individual's pace. On average, it takes 4-6 years to complete a PhD program, with some programs lasting up to 8 years.

Is a PhD necessary for a successful career in science?

While a PhD can certainly enhance one's career prospects in the field of science, it is not always necessary. Many successful scientists have made significant contributions without holding a PhD. However, a PhD can provide a strong foundation for a career in research and can open up opportunities for advancement.

What is the difference between a PhD and a master's degree?

A PhD is a more advanced degree than a master's and typically requires a longer period of study. While a master's degree focuses on building knowledge in a specific area, a PhD involves original research and the creation of new knowledge in a particular field.

What are the common requirements for earning a PhD?

The specific requirements for earning a PhD can vary depending on the university and program. However, common requirements include completing coursework, passing comprehensive exams, conducting original research, and defending a dissertation. Many programs also require students to teach or assist with teaching courses in their field.