1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any point in getting that PhD?

1. Mar 30, 2012 #1
    For the longest time, I've wanted to get a PhD in physics, because I just found everything involving it facinating. I found both the microscopic and the macroscopic worlds it describes very interesting. In light of my academic progress in maths, I don't appear to be getting it, despite my efforts, and wonder if it I should even attempt it.

Care to share your tales of gallantry and woe in pursuing this quest?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2012 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The real question to ask yourself is why do you want a PhD? I'm a biologist and I'm hoping to start a PhD later this year (got a place just need the funding). I completed my BSc and MSc and want to continue to a PhD because I love research and want to have an academic career in regenerative medicine research. For that a PhD is a logical step.

There are many reasons not to do a PhD; if you want a Monday-Friday 9-5 job where you can go in, do a bit of science or engineering and go home then a PhD isn't for you. If you want to earn lots of money and have a good social life then a PhD isn't for you. If you want a PhD because you find a subject interesting then a PhD maybe isn't for you (you have to really care to want to spend so much time and energy).

So that's it really, why do you want a PhD?

4. Mar 30, 2012 #3
    A PhD is a 3+ years training course to become a researcher.

If you don't want to be a researcher, don't do a PhD

5. Apr 3, 2012 #4
    Disagree with that statement. Physics Ph.D.'s can make either decent or outstanding amounts of money. If you want to maximize income with minimal effort, there are better ways, but having a Ph.D. isn't a permanent vow of poverty.

Also, "good social life" depends on what you mean by good social life. If you are a hyper-geek that likes to stick together with other hyper-geeks, then Ph.D.'s are good. Anyone that gets a Ph.D. has to be a little crazy, and good things happen when Ph.D.'s get together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook