Finding Lower Bounds for Integrals: Exploring Simple Functions

• Thread starter ssd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bound
In summary, the conversation is about finding simple functions that are less than or equal to two given integrals. The first integral can be simplified by replacing the y in the denominator with e^y, while the second one can be integrated to e^{-x}(1+x). There is also a discussion about replacing y in the denominator with other expressions, but it is suggested that the current solutions are the best options.
ssd
Looking for some positive valued simple functions which are less than (or equal to) the following two integrals (given in the following post).By simple I mean that they may not involve integrals or imaginary components or some infinite series. Again, the functions may not be as simple as f(x) =0.

Please find the integrals in the following post, as I could not fix the latex problem in this post.

Thanks for any idea.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The integrals as referred in the previous post are as follows:

[tex] 1/ \int_{x}^{\infty}\frac {e^{-y}}{y}dy [/tex] , x>0

[tex] 2/ \int_{x}^{\infty} y e^{-y}dy [/tex] , x>0

Last edited:
The second one can be integrated to (exactly) [tex]e^{-x}(1+x)[/tex].

In the first one you can replace the y in the denominator by [tex]e^y[/tex] which will give you an easy integral. It will be a pretty bad lower bound though.

Eighty said:
The second one can be integrated to (exactly) [tex]e^{-x}(1+x)[/tex].

In the first one you can replace the y in the denominator by [tex]e^y[/tex] which will give you an easy integral. It will be a pretty bad lower bound though.

Thank you very much, I missed the substitution in that.
EDIT: I also missed that it simply can also be done 'by parts'.

What I thought was to replace y in the denominator by [tex]e^y/2[/tex] or [tex] e^{y-1}[/tex] in the other problem.
Any better idea about the second?...EDIT: I mean the other, problem no.1.

Last edited:
Better how? It's an exact antiderivative. What do you want?

edit: You can edit your posts, you know. :) Click the EDIT button next to the QUOTE button.

Last edited:
Eighty said:
Better how? It's an exact antiderivative. What do you want?

edit: You can edit your posts, you know. :)
Sorry for the misunderstanding, by 'second' I meant the other problem.
Thanks again for the help though.

Last edited:

1. What is a lower bound in scientific research?

A lower bound in scientific research refers to the minimum or smallest possible value that can be measured or observed in a given situation or experiment. It serves as a reference point for determining the accuracy or limitations of a particular study or finding.

2. How is a lower bound determined?

A lower bound is typically determined through rigorous experimentation and statistical analysis. Scientists use various methods and tools to collect data and calculate the range of possible values, ultimately identifying the lowest or minimum value that can be observed or measured.

3. Can a lower bound change over time?

Yes, a lower bound can change over time as new research and technologies emerge. As our understanding of a particular phenomenon or process improves, the previously identified lower bound may be adjusted or refined to reflect more accurate or precise measurements.

4. What is the significance of a lower bound in scientific research?

A lower bound is significant because it helps scientists establish a baseline for their findings and assess the reliability of their data. It also allows for comparisons between different studies and can inform future research and advancements in a particular field.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when determining a lower bound?

Yes, there may be ethical considerations when determining a lower bound in scientific research. For example, if the research involves human subjects or animals, researchers must ensure that the lower bound does not cause harm or violate any ethical guidelines. Additionally, the potential impact of the research on society and the environment should also be taken into account.