Publishing a Book: Tips and Tricks from Experienced Authors

• Thread starter The_Thinker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Authors
In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for tips and tricks on how to get their book published, specifically in India. Some suggestions are given, such as finding a reputable agent or using websites for writers and publishers. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of making money from publishing and the importance of writing a good book. The conversation ends with the advice to focus on one's own writing and not worry about others.
The_Thinker
Hey,

Anyone here have any experience with publishing books? I wrote a book and am trying to get it published. Any Tips / tricks on how to go about the thing? :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
you went to the trouble of writing a book and you don't know how to get it published? that's just crazy. Is it a children's book? Is it in final draft? I've had some short stories published, but mailing the stories was all I had to do.
If you really have a finished book I'd get a reputable agent. Find an agent, make sure they have other publishing authors as clients, and let your agent to the leg work. He'll be working for a percentage so he's going to get the best deal he can.
The best advice I have though is to ask your question in the appropriate place. I don't go to my ophthalmologist when I need gardening tips. Head over to someplace like zoetrope.com where there are people who know about writing and publishing.

Ah, yeah... Its pretty simple overseas. But there are a few reputable publishers in India. Its not the same thing. I have been to many sites, I just thought there maybe someone here.

seriously. zoetrope.com. check it out
It's actually owned by Francis Ford Coppola. There are a lot of nice people there, at least there used to be. If you are serious about writing it's a good place to check out.

Since you're asking here, is this a science book? Perhaps one covering your own views on relativity, quantum mechanics and/or cosmology?

Have you tried http://writingforums.com/ ? That forum is filled with experienced and published writers. Your question is a common topic there, so they have useful information for you.

Good luck!

I am a book published author.
I have published a book about science.
I am a book published crank.

In Korea, to make a publish company is very easy thing.
I made a book publishing company to publish my book.
but I abandoned to make a money, and distributed in charge free.

To publish a book which have a ISBN is different to personal document making.
That require complex process and more money.
And most important differences are copyright and prior right.
If you publish your theory in a book, your prior right will be absolutely protected.

I do not know about the publishing industry in India,
and do not know about your book.
But I can say you as following.
If you want to make a money by book publishing, that will be very difficult.
but if you want to spend money by book publishing, you have many options.

Last edited:
Jang Jin Hong said:
If you want to make a money by book publishing, that will be very difficult.
but if you want to spend money by book publishing, you have many options.

:smile:

ha, lol. That I know, I am fully aware of vanity publishers.

And naw, its nothing about physics at all. Its just story about a guy who just gets out of college and tries an Idea about some software. He then realizes that things are not that easy and basically what happens after that. Its a true story in fact..:approve:

Anyway, Since, I am in India, I am looking for some publisher in India. Sent it to a couple of publishers. No luck so far. Besides, they took close to 3 months to reply...:rolleyes: So, I was looking for other options.

you could always put it in pdf format and sell it as an ebook through your own website.

The_Thinker said:
ha, lol. That I know, I am fully aware of vanity publishers.

And naw, its nothing about physics at all. Its just story about a guy who just gets out of college and tries an Idea about some software. He then realizes that things are not that easy and basically what happens after that. Its a true story in fact..:approve:

Anyway, Since, I am in India, I am looking for some publisher in India. Sent it to a couple of publishers. No luck so far. Besides, they took close to 3 months to reply...:rolleyes: So, I was looking for other options.

In a viewpoint of publisher. I guess your publicaton is very difficult.
It is very difficult to publish a book for a author who is not famous in their field
except self-publishing.

3 months for editorial reading is too long. After 2 weeks ask to editor, if they do not give positive answer, that can be considered as rejection.

There is two way,
One is to persuade publishing company,
The other is self-publishing.

other option?
Nothing

Proton Soup said:
you could always put it in pdf format and sell it as an ebook through your own website.

No, that can not be a book.
Book can be maden only by publishing company.
Official book can not be published that kind of method.
If a document has not ISBN, that is not considered as a book.

Does the Bible have an ISBN? The Quran? The Torah?

binzing said:
Does the Bible have an ISBN? The Quran? The Torah?

Of course, Bibles have ISBNs in Korea.
That is regared as a book which is published by publisher.
that will be similar in almost every other nations.

Last edited:
The_Thinker said:
Hey,

Anyone here have any experience with publishing books? I wrote a book and am trying to get it published. Any Tips / tricks on how to go about the thing? :wink:

My advice is following.

"DO NOT CHASE FOR TIPS OR TRICKS."

Write a good contents,
that is a most poweful method to persuade others.

Nah, it is not about the Idea itself. Its just a fun read. Anyway, I was asking about query letter tips and the like. For example, check this site out:

http://www.indiahowto.com/list-of-publishers.html

anyway... thx. Let's see how it goes.

The_Thinker said:
Nah, it is not about the Idea itself. Its just a fun read. Anyway, I was asking about query letter tips and the like. For example, check this site out:

http://www.indiahowto.com/list-of-publishers.html

anyway... thx. Let's see how it goes.

You are author, you are a person who knows best about your book.
Do not study other's face.
Just write the reason for publication in your own opinion.

ah.. okay... cool... :smile:

Jang Jin Hong said:

that's ridiculous.

Does a book of matches have an ISBN?

Proton Soup said:
that's ridiculous.

Difference between regular book and bounded document is legal one.
Almost every nations have legal criteria about regular book.

Last edited:
Jang Jin Hong said:

Given that the ISBN was only invented in the '60s, I think it's safe to say that this statement is false.

Jang Jin Hong said:
Difference between regular book and bounded document is legal one.
Almost every nations have legal criteria about regular book.

i live in a nation that recognizes freedom of speech and freedom of press. i don't need anyone's permission to write or publish.

cristo said:
Given that the ISBN was only invented in the '60s, I think it's safe to say that this statement is false.

Publishing license has long history,
ISBN is outform of that which was invented recently.
In this time, ISBN means that book was published in the license of government.
What I means really is licensed book.
and ISBN is a mark of license.

Last edited:
Proton Soup said:
i live in a nation that recognizes freedom of speech and freedom of press. i don't need anyone's permission to write or publish.

Yes, you can publish your thought in form of book without government license.
But there is no evidence about the real author.
If other person steal your contents, you will confront difficulty in proving
your originality.
And if you sell your book. that will provoke tax problem.

Jang Jin Hong said:
Yes, you can publish your thought in form of book without government license.
But there is no evidence about the real author.
If other person steal your contents, you will confront difficulty in proving
your originality.
And if you sell your book. that will provoke tax problem.

there's only a tax problem if you don't pay your taxes. if defending your copyright is an issue, you may need to register for copyright. but copyright for an author is normally understood to exist at the time the work is created, and does not require registration. if it did, then most artists could not make a living and the only source of art would be corporations.

Proton Soup said:
there's only a tax problem if you don't pay your taxes. if defending your copyright is an issue, you may need to register for copyright. but copyright for an author is normally understood to exist at the time the work is created, and does not require registration. if it did, then most artists could not make a living and the only source of art would be corporations.

But there must be a material evidence of right.
Electronic data can be vapored and changed,
and human memory become vage in the course of time.
Regular book is the most clear material evidence.

In the case of music, artist is recorded as a creator.
I can not understand your comment about art.

Jang Jin Hong said:

What is an "official book"? And why must a book have a number to be considered as a book?

Jang Jin Hong is right. If you want a real, honest to god, put this book in a library, book. you need an isbn.

I should like to point out that my brother published his own book, without ISBN, and sells it on his website as pdf and print-on-demand. It's doing quite well, though in large part because he's a leading expert in that industry.

If you want a copy in the library of congress you need an isbn.

Jang Jin Hong said:
But there must be a material evidence of right.
Electronic data can be vapored and changed,
and human memory become vage in the course of time.
Regular book is the most clear material evidence.

In the case of music, artist is recorded as a creator.
I can not understand your comment about art.

I don't know about India, but in the United States, an author can go to http://www.copyright.gov/eco/ and register the work electronically.

tribdog said:
If you want a copy in the library of congress you need an isbn.
Please cite this. I think you're confusing CIP with ISBN.

I should emphasize that I'm not advocating against applying for an ISBN, but just want to make clear what the laws and obligations are. There are many benefits to obtaining an ISBN, of course.

To address The Thinker's original problem, I suppose it might be worthwhile to hunt down a good agent instead.

Last edited:
OAQfirst said:
Please cite this. I think you're confusing CIP with ISBN.

This is GD, I'm just making stuff up.

OAQfirst said:
I don't know about India, but in the United States, an author can go to http://www.copyright.gov/eco/ and register the work electronically.

that seems like a not unreasonable fee