Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any questions?

1. Apr 5, 2004 #1
    I'm going to be around some astronaunts and aerospace engineers tomarrow. Also maybe some astrophysicists. Does anybody have some questions they'd like me to ask? I think it is about the Mars space missions, and the whole moon deal. Although, I think they will be looking for a wide range of questions. Bring em on!

Paden Roder
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

Some member asked this a few weeks ago: What sort of propulsion system is likely to be used for the first manned Martian mission? I wonder what they would say. Chemical propellants that are already in use today would be my guess. But then there's solar sails, ion propulsion, fission heating of an inert liquid, matter/antimatter, and probably several other possibilities.
  4. Apr 6, 2004 #3
    I did a little reading on this. Thanks.

Paden Roder
  5. Apr 6, 2004 #4
    Question for Mars team

Was this mission kinda nervewracking due to the current solar maximum and the not knowing if a big solar flair would come up during the flight? Were the computers and memories sheilded for a worst case solar wind?

It seems more optimal to go to mars 5 years from now at the low solar flair cycle.

Steve Stillman
    Shrewsbury MA USA
  6. Apr 6, 2004 #5
    Good question.

Paden Roder
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?