Telescope Recommendations for Viewing Galaxies & Nebulae in FL

• Thread starter Cladson
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has a Meade 2114 atts reflector telescope and is able to see Jupiter but not galaxies or nebulae. They are looking for recommendations for a telescope to view these objects and live in Florida. The conversation suggests that the speaker's location may not be suitable for viewing galaxies and that they should focus on planetary observing. They also recommend checking out Excelsis' Equipment Review for recommendations.
Cladson
Ok well I have a meade 2114 atts relfector telescope and it is great. I can see Jupiter and all sorts of other stuff(no galaxies or nebulae yet which i really hoped to see) is there like certain things that can be veiwed better in certain places. I live in florida anyone know of anything good I can see and also I soon will come into 800-900$ any recomendations on a good telescope for veiwing nebulae or galaxies?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Cladson said:
Ok well I have a meade 2114 atts relfector telescope and it is great. I can see Jupiter and all sorts of other stuff(no galaxies or nebulae yet which i really hoped to see) is there like certain things that can be veiwed better in certain places. I live in florida anyone know of anything good I can see and also I soon will come into 800-900$ any recomendations on a good telescope for veiwing nebulae or galaxies?
Are you in a location that occasionally gets really nice dark skies and seeing? For instance, can you ever see the Milky Way very prominently with the naked eye, and can you see M31 naked-eye? If not, your observing site is not going to be suitable for viewing other galaxies, and no amount of money will improve that significantly. Even Warren Buffet could not aford to build a decent observatory in suburban areas of Florida. You may want to concentrate on planetary observing if this is your circumstance.

Last edited:
Turbo is a real pro. I unwaveringly endorse his advice on equipment decisions.

1. What type of telescope is best for viewing galaxies and nebulae in FL?

The best type of telescope for viewing galaxies and nebulae in FL is a reflector telescope. This type of telescope uses mirrors to gather and focus light, making it ideal for viewing faint and distant objects like galaxies and nebulae.

2. What aperture size should I look for in a telescope for viewing galaxies and nebulae in FL?

The larger the aperture size, the better the telescope will be for viewing galaxies and nebulae in FL. Look for a telescope with an aperture size of at least 6 inches, but the larger the better. This will allow for more light to be gathered, providing a clearer and more detailed image.

3. Is it necessary to have a motorized mount for viewing galaxies and nebulae in FL?

While a motorized mount is not necessary, it can greatly enhance your viewing experience when observing galaxies and nebulae in FL. A motorized mount will allow for smoother and more precise movements, making it easier to track and view objects as they move across the night sky.

4. Can I use a telescope with a computerized system for viewing galaxies and nebulae in FL?

Yes, using a telescope with a computerized system can be very helpful when viewing galaxies and nebulae in FL. These systems can help locate and track objects, making it easier to find and view specific galaxies and nebulae in the night sky.

5. What is the recommended magnification for viewing galaxies and nebulae in FL?

The recommended magnification for viewing galaxies and nebulae in FL is typically between 100x and 200x. Going higher than this may result in a blurry or distorted image, especially in areas with high levels of light pollution. Keep in mind that the quality of the telescope and atmospheric conditions can also affect the optimal magnification for viewing these objects.