1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any recommendation for a book about Electromagnetic waves and radio communications

1. Aug 28, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I am completing the study of telecommunications. As I've lost some lecture notes and I like to keep references on my bookshelf I am looking for a good book about Electromagnetism, electromagnetic radiation and radio communications. From the comprehensive online offer it is not easy to pick a book just by reading description so I would really appreciate if anyone of you could suggest any title.

Thanks!

Niko

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Any recommendation for a book about Electromagnetic waves and radio communication

niko2000

It depends upon what you mean by "radio communcation." Do you mean communication theory (modulation, coding, information, etc...), RF hardware / microwave engineering, wave propagation, all of these, or something else?

My favorite book on antennas is "Antennas and radiowave propagation" by Collin. It is out of print, but used copies can be found. He basically derives everything from first principles, sometimes multiple ways. The chapter on propagation is pretty good, too. But the book does assume you already have a good grasp of undergrad electromagnetics.

For electromagnetism, it really depends upon what you are looking for: basic level vs grad level, applied with lots of stuff on transmission lines and waveguides vs more fundamental physics, etc.

How much money you want to spend (and how happy you are with used copies of old editions - my favorite approach) also matters.

Jason

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3
    Re: Any recommendation for a book about Electromagnetic waves and radio communication

For electromagnetics:

1) William H. Hayt, Engineering electromagnetics (have articles for both undergraduate and post graduate courses)

2) David K. Cheng, Field and wave electromagnetics (chapters for both electromagnetics and microwave. Undergraduate only)

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Along those lines, since the OP is looking for a reference (as opposed to a great textbook suitable for self-study), I would recommend "Fields and waves in communication electronics" by Ramo, Whinnery and Van Duzer. The new 3rd edition has maybe 25 extra pages than the 2nd edition, so for a reference a used copy of the 2nd edition is what I would recommend.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook