Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any runners here?

1. May 20, 2016 #1
    I like keeping a decent amount of km/mile of running per day/week.

Any runners here? How many km/mi per day? Does it help with your daily learning? How so?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2016 #2
    Adds structure to your day IMO. Also a common trait runners have is resilience and persistence, mirror that as one of your academic prerequisites and you'll fly!

4. May 21, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I used to run for PT in the Air Force. I can't say it ever helped me with anything though, as I haven't noticed any change in myself since I stopped running regularly.

5. May 21, 2016 #4
    When I'm not in a self-pitying self destructive mode, I typically run/jog about 1-2 miles first thing in the morning 4-5 days a week. It's not that I particularly enjoy jogging, but it's something I can do right away when I wake up to kill the funk of morning depression. If you suffer from mild to moderate depression, as I do, mornings are the worst. Ask any junkie and they'll tell you that the morning is the best time to get high just because of that reason. Wake and bake :oldtongue:

But I don't do that anymore so I need alternative means. Typically I'll wake up in the morning and pull the covers over my head and bemoan my continued tortured existence on the planet for a spell. But then I'll force myself out of bed and into the kitchen where I'll have half a cup of lowfat yogurt, a small cup of diluted orange juice, a multivitamin/mineral supplement, fish oil capsule, 2 ginko biloba capsules, and a tablespoon of Barleans fresh-pressed flax seed oil, and then I walk strait out the door and start jogging (after a 5 minute walking warm up and stretch). So from the time I roll out of bed until I'm on the street jogging is typically less than 20 minutes. And that's what makes it work. Chase that with a 4-shot iced mocha or Americano and it's instant "funk-be gone."

That "runner's high" will typically last most of the day until I go to the gym at night and do a real workout. This essentially consists of playing basketball for about 20-30 minutes, which I typically do as a warmup for weight training because I hate the treadmill or elliptical machines, and lap swimming. However, since I broke my wrist recently, I can't swim nor do any weight training, plus I had to quit my Taekwondo class, so all I can do now is walk/run around the track at the YMCA like the old timer mall walkers until my wrist heels.

But to answer your initial question, yes, I definitely think it helps with "daily learning" insofar as I get amped up after my morning jog and coffee chaser and seem to get a lot more work done than when I'm lazy and don't jog.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  6. May 21, 2016 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Your breakfast makes me cry. :cry:
    Although, now that I think about it, I usually don't even have one... :rolleyes:

7. May 21, 2016 #6
    That's why I do the yogurt, it's quick and easy and can get you through till lunch. I got this trick from the "Zone" diet. Remember this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Enter-Zone-Dietary-Road-map/dp/0060391502

I'm not the kind of guy to put any effort into cooking (or actually anything) early in the morning but to eat nothing at will catch up with you within a couple hours. So spooning out some yogurt onto a plate and chasing down with some OJ to tide you over until lunch has been a workable solution for me over the years.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. May 21, 2016 #7
    Thanks for replies. Depression is a good point. Starting the day depressed is horrible for motivation. We all know how much motivation is important for someone going to school or self studying physics/math..

I just got a nice pair of runners, getting a sport watch for fathers day and going to start a solid running routine this summer.

I also enrolled in an online calc 1 course, and planning to do calc1 -> phys 1 -> calc2 -> phys 2 over the next year. Phys is calc based and courses are at athabasca university.

Im very excited.

So i guess 3 mi runs 3 times a week should work decently. With a focused cooldown.

Im 33, married with 3 kids. Its gonna be a challenge lol..

9. May 22, 2016 #8
    I should run. But when I get busy its the first thing to go :(

Haven't been for two weeks now with writing a thesis and trying to make a good presentation.
    When I have time I go 2 or 3 times a week for 4-5 km.

10. May 22, 2016 #9

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I run often. I generally run 3-5 miles three times a week on weekdays and on Saturday and Sunday I go for 10-12. It's a bit easier with one real leg and one blade. :D

11. May 22, 2016 #10
    12-15 km a week, usually run 2 times a week. If I don't run for a long time I feel that a jog helps a lot alleviating stress, but regularly I don't notice it. It gives you a lot of physical resistance though, so you'll be less tired every day.

12. May 22, 2016 #11

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm currently working on a 15 km loop with two rather large hills that I try to do once a week. My personal record is 14.4 km in 1:21. I've had to change the loop due to construction though, which has slowed my times because of the added distance and it's turned one of the longer slower declines into a shorter steeper one where I have to slow down to run under control.

I've found exercise a massive help, both when I was a student and now during my professional career. I've always exercised in one form or another, but tend to have a lot more focus when I'm exercising more.

13. May 22, 2016 #12
    Try to get in a decent run 3-4 times a week. No set distance, usually in the 2.5-5km range at a pace fast enough to keep your heart going and sweat pouring. Atleast once a week I'll do 100m sprints, or fartlek training. I'll tack on a quick workout consisting of nothing more than pushups, pullups, and planks afterwards. Nothing serious, just enough to keep the body in shape.

I find I concentrate better after exercising, and sleep much much better if I have physically exerted myself during the day. Plus, you just feel better after a solid run/workout.

14. May 23, 2016 #13
    I try to run a couple of times a week, usually just a few miles, but every so ofter I'll run ten or so.

15. May 23, 2016 #14
    I run 4km every 3 days, and sprint at the end of every run to get my heart rate maxed. Other then that i do sit ups and push ups, and sometimes hang ups (if i can find a bar i can hang from). Plus i eat relatively healthy, but yeah this all helps a lot with my mood and stamina through out the day and also long term. I just can't get away with not doing physical exercise and eating junk food anymore, maybe I'm too old now and my body / mind just won't accept that crap. I am only 27 now, but I definitely feel like I don't have the same energy / flexibility as when I was in the military 8 years ago. So it is more like just what I have to do, to keep the "engine" well maintained and running smoothly for the years ahead.. o0)

16. May 25, 2016 #15

TheBlackAdder

Gold Member

I try to run two cooper tests each week and one run of 6 km. It keeps my energy level up, no doubt. Any sport which breaks a sweat will.

Just in case, a cooper test is running as far as possible in 12 minutes. Some say it's too little time to improve my running. But I can confidently say they are wrong.
    i0YODh8.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted