How does regular running affect daily learning and energy levels?

• Thread starter CrunchBerries
  • Start date
In summary, runners typically run about 1-2 miles per day. This helps them to learn and stay motivated.
CrunchBerries
I like keeping a decent amount of km/mile of running per day/week.

Any runners here? How many km/mi per day? Does it help with your daily learning? How so?

Physics news on Phys.org
Adds structure to your day IMO. Also a common trait runners have is resilience and persistence, mirror that as one of your academic prerequisites and you'll fly!

CrunchBerries said:
Any runners here? How many km/mi per day? Does it help with your daily learning? How so?

I used to run for PT in the Air Force. I can't say it ever helped me with anything though, as I haven't noticed any change in myself since I stopped running regularly.

CrunchBerries said:

When I'm not in a self-pitying self destructive mode, I typically run/jog about 1-2 miles first thing in the morning 4-5 days a week. It's not that I particularly enjoy jogging, but it's something I can do right away when I wake up to kill the funk of morning depression. If you suffer from mild to moderate depression, as I do, mornings are the worst. Ask any junkie and they'll tell you that the morning is the best time to get high just because of that reason. Wake and bake :oldtongue:

But I don't do that anymore so I need alternative means. Typically I'll wake up in the morning and pull the covers over my head and bemoan my continued tortured existence on the planet for a spell. But then I'll force myself out of bed and into the kitchen where I'll have half a cup of lowfat yogurt, a small cup of diluted orange juice, a multivitamin/mineral supplement, fish oil capsule, 2 ginko biloba capsules, and a tablespoon of Barleans fresh-pressed flax seed oil, and then I walk strait out the door and start jogging (after a 5 minute walking warm up and stretch). So from the time I roll out of bed until I'm on the street jogging is typically less than 20 minutes. And that's what makes it work. Chase that with a 4-shot iced mocha or Americano and it's instant "funk-be gone."

That "runner's high" will typically last most of the day until I go to the gym at night and do a real workout. This essentially consists of playing basketball for about 20-30 minutes, which I typically do as a warmup for weight training because I hate the treadmill or elliptical machines, and lap swimming. However, since I broke my wrist recently, I can't swim nor do any weight training, plus I had to quit my Taekwondo class, so all I can do now is walk/run around the track at the YMCA like the old timer mall walkers until my wrist heels.

But to answer your initial question, yes, I definitely think it helps with "daily learning" insofar as I get amped up after my morning jog and coffee chaser and seem to get a lot more work done than when I'm lazy and don't jog.

Last edited:
DiracPool said:
But then I'll force myself out of bed and into the kitchen where I'll have half a cup of lowfat yogurt, a small cup of diluted orange juice, a multivitamin/mineral supplement, fish oil capsule, 2 ginko biloba capsules, and a tablespoon of Barleans fresh-pressed flax seed oil, and then I walk strait out the door and start jogging (after a 5 minute walking warm up and stretch).

Your breakfast makes me cry. :cry:
Although, now that I think about it, I usually don't even have one... :rolleyes:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Drakkith said:
Although, now that I think about it, I usually don't even have one...

That's why I do the yogurt, it's quick and easy and can get you through till lunch. I got this trick from the "Zone" diet. Remember this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0060391502/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'm not the kind of guy to put any effort into cooking (or actually anything) early in the morning but to eat nothing at will catch up with you within a couple hours. So spooning out some yogurt onto a plate and chasing down with some OJ to tide you over until lunch has been a workable solution for me over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for replies. Depression is a good point. Starting the day depressed is horrible for motivation. We all know how much motivation is important for someone going to school or self studying physics/math..

I just got a nice pair of runners, getting a sport watch for fathers day and going to start a solid running routine this summer.

I also enrolled in an online calc 1 course, and planning to do calc1 -> phys 1 -> calc2 -> phys 2 over the next year. Phys is calc based and courses are at athabasca university.

Im very excited.

So i guess 3 mi runs 3 times a week should work decently. With a focused cooldown.

Im 33, married with 3 kids. Its going to be a challenge lol..

I should run. But when I get busy its the first thing to go :(

Haven't been for two weeks now with writing a thesis and trying to make a good presentation.
When I have time I go 2 or 3 times a week for 4-5 km.

I run often. I generally run 3-5 miles three times a week on weekdays and on Saturday and Sunday I go for 10-12. It's a bit easier with one real leg and one blade. :D

12-15 km a week, usually run 2 times a week. If I don't run for a long time I feel that a jog helps a lot alleviating stress, but regularly I don't notice it. It gives you a lot of physical resistance though, so you'll be less tired every day.

I'm currently working on a 15 km loop with two rather large hills that I try to do once a week. My personal record is 14.4 km in 1:21. I've had to change the loop due to construction though, which has slowed my times because of the added distance and it's turned one of the longer slower declines into a shorter steeper one where I have to slow down to run under control.

I've found exercise a massive help, both when I was a student and now during my professional career. I've always exercised in one form or another, but tend to have a lot more focus when I'm exercising more.

Try to get in a decent run 3-4 times a week. No set distance, usually in the 2.5-5km range at a pace fast enough to keep your heart going and sweat pouring. Atleast once a week I'll do 100m sprints, or fartlek training. I'll tack on a quick workout consisting of nothing more than pushups, pullups, and planks afterwards. Nothing serious, just enough to keep the body in shape.

I find I concentrate better after exercising, and sleep much much better if I have physically exerted myself during the day. Plus, you just feel better after a solid run/workout.

I try to run a couple of times a week, usually just a few miles, but every so ofter I'll run ten or so.

I run 4km every 3 days, and sprint at the end of every run to get my heart rate maxed. Other then that i do sit ups and push ups, and sometimes hang ups (if i can find a bar i can hang from). Plus i eat relatively healthy, but yeah this all helps a lot with my mood and stamina through out the day and also long term. I just can't get away with not doing physical exercise and eating junk food anymore, maybe I'm too old now and my body / mind just won't accept that crap. I am only 27 now, but I definitely feel like I don't have the same energy / flexibility as when I was in the military 8 years ago. So it is more like just what I have to do, to keep the "engine" well maintained and running smoothly for the years ahead.. o0)

I try to run two cooper tests each week and one run of 6 km. It keeps my energy level up, no doubt. Any sport which breaks a sweat will.

Just in case, a cooper test is running as far as possible in 12 minutes. Some say it's too little time to improve my running. But I can confidently say they are wrong.
i0YODh8.png

1. What is the purpose of asking "Any runners here?"

Asking "Any runners here?" is a way to connect with others who share a common interest in running. It can be used to start a conversation, find a running partner or training group, or simply to connect with a like-minded community.

2. Do I have to be a professional runner to answer "Any runners here?"

No, you do not have to be a professional runner to answer "Any runners here?". This question is open to anyone who enjoys running, regardless of their level of experience or skill. It is a way to connect with other individuals who have a passion for running.

3. Is this question only for a specific type of runner?

No, this question is open to all types of runners. Whether you are a casual runner, marathon runner, trail runner, or any other type of runner, you are welcome to answer "Any runners here?". This question is about connecting with others who enjoy the activity of running, regardless of their specific style or preferences.

4. Can I ask "Any runners here?" in any setting?

Yes, you can ask "Any runners here?" in any setting where you think there may be individuals who enjoy running. This could be at a gym, a park, a running event, or even online through social media or forums. It is a broad question that can be asked in various settings to connect with different groups of runners.

5. What other questions can I ask after "Any runners here?"

After asking "Any runners here?", you may want to follow up with additional questions to get to know the individuals who respond. These could include questions about their favorite running routes, upcoming races they are training for, their go-to running gear, or any other related topics. This can help to foster a deeper conversation and potentially build new connections within the running community.