Can Free Online Resources Help Me Learn Algebra 2 and Calculus?

• Thread starter The Dreamer
  • Start date
In summary: There's a good chance they can find you funding.In summary, it sounds like you're doing well in math, but you may want to consider taking Algebra II and Pre-Calculus in the Fall and Spring semesters of your Junior year.
The Dreamer
Well, as of now I am a sophmore at my high school, my dream has been to be an aerospace engineer since childhood. Well i really messed up in middle school, i thought it didn't matter so i failed every single class both years. Then 7th grade i was in algebra and same with 8th.
Well, last year i got 1st semester 98% 2nd semester 96% in algebra, and now geometry, which was a struggle for me in the begining, i had a 1st semester A with 91% and now I've been getting 100% on most of my tests and quizzes. I, don't have the money to take Alegbra 2 in summer so is there anyway i could take algebra 2 or calculas online for free?
Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget about learning Calculus for now. You need a strong foundation first, and it's nonsensical to try to skip around. It sounds like you're a sophomore taking Geometry? Then take Algebra 2 junior year and take Pre-Calculus senior year. Taking Calculus as a freshman in college shouldn't be a problem.

Indeed, it would be nonsensical to learn calculus by now. But the videos of khan academy ( www.khanacademy.org/ ) are great for learning math topics, from algebra to differential equations. I suggest you check them out.

There's nowhere you can take it for free and get credit for it. You can learn it from various sites, a particularly good one being Khan Academy.

I would try to double up as much as possible. You story reminds me of myself. I messed up the opportunity to take Algebra I in 8th grade and also missed my chance to double up on math classes my Freshman year. But being behind doesn't mean you can't catch up. Take Alg II Fall semester and Precal Spring semester of your Junior year. That will allow you to take AP Calculus your senior year. For the vast majority, that AP Calc is seen as the highest possible math class in HS. (And it is, if you rule out dual enrollment.)

I would also look into getting funding. There are programs that fund kids who want to take summer classes. Have you contacted your guidance counselors about your interest in taking classes over the Summer? If not, you should.

First of all, congratulations on your improvement in math! It's great to see that you have a passion for aerospace engineering and are determined to pursue it despite the challenges you faced in middle school.

To answer your question, there are definitely websites and online resources that offer free calculus and algebra 2 lessons. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX. These sites offer video lessons, practice problems, and even online courses that you can take at your own pace.

It's important to note that while these resources may be helpful, they may not fully replace a traditional classroom setting with a teacher to guide you. If you are struggling with a particular concept, it may be beneficial to seek help from a tutor or your current math teacher.

Additionally, many schools and community colleges offer summer courses for students to catch up on credits or get ahead in their studies. It may be worth looking into these options as well.

No matter what route you choose, remember that hard work and determination will ultimately lead to success. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Best of luck in your academic journey!

1. How can I access the free Calculus lessons on this website?

The free Calculus lessons on this website can be accessed by simply visiting the site and clicking on the "Calculus" tab on the main navigation menu. This will take you to a page where you can browse through the available lessons and choose the ones you want to learn.

2. Are the free Calculus lessons on this website comprehensive enough for beginners?

Yes, the free Calculus lessons on this website are designed to cater to beginners as well as more advanced learners. The lessons are structured in a way that gradually introduces and builds upon concepts, making it easy for beginners to follow along.

3. Are there any additional resources or materials provided with the free Calculus lessons?

Yes, this website offers additional resources such as practice problems, quizzes, and interactive tools to supplement the free Calculus lessons. These resources are designed to help reinforce concepts and improve understanding.

4. Can I get personalized help with specific Calculus topics on this website?

While this website does not offer personalized tutoring, there is a community forum where you can post questions and get help from other learners and instructors. Additionally, each lesson has a comment section where you can ask questions and receive assistance from the lesson creator.

5. Is there a cost associated with using this website for learning Calculus?

No, all the Calculus lessons on this website are completely free to access and use. There are no hidden fees or subscriptions required. However, there may be optional paid features or materials available for those who want to further enhance their learning experience.