Find Support & Answers on Superfish - Marlin's RFQ Linac Design

• Thread starter Strat-O
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is having trouble finding documentation for using Superfish, a software downloaded from LANL, and is interested in using the software for analyzing RFQ linac designs. However, they are unable to confidently alter the source .af files due to a lack of description for the .af format. They are also looking for an online forum to discuss and clarify details about Superfish. The response suggests using Google to find tutorials and videos on Superfish.
Strat-O
Hi, I downloaded Superfish recently from LANL and I'm not finding the documentation I need to use it properly. In their examples they provide some interesting analyses that I'd like to use as a basis for analyzing cross-sections of an RFQ linac I'm designing. However, I can't alter the source .af files with confidence because it seems that the .af format is not described anywhere.

What would be nice is to try to work out some of these details in an online forum. Any such service available?

Thanks,

Marlin

Physics news on Phys.org
Nine years after the thread has been posted, I believe anything can be found out using Google. Searching "superfish tutorial" returns a number of useful results and youtube videos.

1. What is Superfish?

Superfish is a computer program used for the simulation of electromagnetic fields in RF structures. It is commonly used in the design of linear accelerators (linacs) for particle accelerators.

2. What is Marlin's RFQ Linac Design?

Marlin's RFQ Linac Design is a specific design for a Radio Frequency Quadrupole (RFQ) linear accelerator. This design is optimized for high-frequency operation and is widely used in particle accelerators.

3. How can Superfish be used in the design of Marlin's RFQ Linac?

Superfish can be used to simulate and analyze the electromagnetic fields in Marlin's RFQ Linac design. This allows for optimization of the design and identification of potential issues before construction begins.

4. What are the benefits of using Superfish in the design process?

Using Superfish in the design process can save time and resources by identifying potential issues and allowing for optimization before construction. It also provides a more accurate and detailed understanding of the electromagnetic fields in the RFQ Linac design.

5. Are there any limitations to using Superfish for Marlin's RFQ Linac design?

Superfish is a powerful tool, but it does have some limitations. It may not accurately model all aspects of the RFQ Linac design, such as thermal effects or material properties. It is important to use Superfish in conjunction with other design tools and physical testing for a comprehensive understanding of the design.