Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any tips on studying please?

1. May 29, 2008 #1
    If you could offer any tips for studying for an Algebra test for tomorrow morning it would be great.
    It covers:

• Vector quantities and [tex]$\mathbb{R^n}$[/tex]
    • [tex]$\mathbb{R^2}$[/tex] and analytic geometry
    • Points, line segments and lines. Parametric vector equations. Parallel lines.
    • Planes. Linear combinations and the span of two vectors. Planes though the origin.
    • Parametric vector equations for planes in [tex]$\mathbb{R^n}$[/tex]. The linear equation form of a plane.

• Introduction to systems of linear equations. Solution of 2 × 2 and 2 × 3 systems and geometrical interpretations.
    • Matrix notation. Elementary row operations.
    • Solving systems of equations via Gaussian elimination.
    • Deducing solubility from row-echelon form. Solving systems with indeterminate right
      hand side.
    • General properties of solutions to Ax = b.
    • Matrix operations.

No calculators are allowed and it goes for 20 minutes.
    Last edited: May 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

tip: if the test is tomorrow morning, all studying should be pretty much completed before tonight. only mild review should be appropriate.

i say this now that the test is over so as not to upset you before the test, but to help on the next test.
  4. May 30, 2008 #3
    Hmm yeah I got the harder paper and when I solved for the intersection between two planes I was lost when I got infinite solutions after using Gaussian Elimination.

And I still couldn't grasp the concept of linear combination of vectors, i.e. I haven't found a mechanical way to solve questions like these.

Well I guess it all really counts in the end since my final exam is worth 64% of the entire assessment over the semester.
  5. May 31, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

of course one should expect two planes to intersect in a line, i.e. infinitely many points.

try to think geometrically.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?