Any tips on studying please?

• Thread starter CGUE
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

If you could offer any tips for studying for an Algebra test for tomorrow morning it would be great.
It covers:

Vectors:
  • Vector quantities and [tex]$\mathbb{R^n}$[/tex]
  • [tex]$\mathbb{R^2}$[/tex] and analytic geometry
  • Points, line segments and lines. Parametric vector equations. Parallel lines.
  • Planes. Linear combinations and the span of two vectors. Planes though the origin.
  • Parametric vector equations for planes in [tex]$\mathbb{R^n}$[/tex]. The linear equation form of a plane.

Matrices:

• Introduction to systems of linear equations. Solution of 2 × 2 and 2 × 3 systems and geometrical interpretations.
  • Matrix notation. Elementary row operations.
  • Solving systems of equations via Gaussian elimination.
  • Deducing solubility from row-echelon form. Solving systems with indeterminate right
    hand side.
  • General properties of solutions to Ax = b.
  • Matrix operations.

No calculators are allowed and it goes for 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
tip: if the test is tomorrow morning, all studying should be pretty much completed before tonight. only mild review should be appropriate.

i say this now that the test is over so as not to upset you before the test, but to help on the next test.

tip: if the test is tomorrow morning, all studying should be pretty much completed before tonight. only mild review should be appropriate.

i say this now that the test is over so as not to upset you before the test, but to help on the next test.
Hmm yeah I got the harder paper and when I solved for the intersection between two planes I was lost when I got infinite solutions after using Gaussian Elimination.

And I still couldn't grasp the concept of linear combination of vectors, i.e. I haven't found a mechanical way to solve questions like these.

Well I guess it all really counts in the end since my final exam is worth 64% of the entire assessment over the semester.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
of course one should expect two planes to intersect in a line, i.e. infinitely many points.

try to think geometrically.