1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any UC schools vs. UCLA

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    I'm not sure which forum to ask about this...so I will hesistantly ask this question here...and it might be a dumb question.

What's the difference bet. any other UC schools and UCLA?

For example, is UCLA more difficult than UCI, UCSF, etc.? Are they all have the same level of difficulty? How about other colleges like University of Chicago..does it have the same level of difficulty like UCLA..and such? I'm talking about the level of education...if that makes sense.

I hope that makes some sense...

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2006 #2
    UCLA was a tad more difficult than UC Irvine, and both are much more difficult than CSU Northridge (at last for math and physics - the graduate differential geometry at CSUN used the same book as the undergrad at UCLA). I'm not familiar with UCSF, and I imagine Chicago is more difficult than UCLA. Of course, YMMV since it alldepends on the individual instructor and how difficult they decide to make their classes.

4. Jan 6, 2007 #3
    The short answer is, "it depends." UCSF is primarily a bio/medical school, and as such is very well regarded. I'd say UCLA is a consistant second to Berkeley, and at times on par with UCSB and UCSD (think physics for 'SB, and math for 'SD). All in all, UCLA is a very good school.

The University of Chicago is on an entirely different level. My experience with U of C undergraduates has been very impressive. I'd rank that program very near the top, if not at the top, of teaching Universities in math right now.

5. Jan 6, 2007 #4
    I'd say UCBerk would be the best in the UCs and UCLA would be second, but it also depends on what you want to specialize in. Berkeley is more liberal arts/engineering oriented than UCLA and UCLA has a nice med program so it realy depends on what you want to do with your life

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?