1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Any undergrads done summer work at a Uk university?

1. Feb 15, 2005 #1
    I am considering going in for summer at my university before my graduation year but being a first year i do not have any insight as to what it entails. Could anyone who has had such an experience advise me what its like.

I'm doing a masters degree in physics so it will either be physics or maths related. All insights appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2005 #2
    Ok anyone with any experience in a physics department?
  4. Mar 2, 2005 #3
    You seem starved of replies, so here's some thoughts...

I spent the summer after my second year helping out in a physical chemistry research lab (doing luminescence and other stuff) and I would unreservedly recommend it. I learnt more about how experimental science works (and doesn't work...) in 3 months than in any number of undergraduate lab sessions. I'm guessing you are on a MPhys - if you are and you want to do a PhD, not only will it good on your applications, but it will give you a real insight into how research works day to day.

Hope that is helpful
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?