Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Any undergrads done summer work at a Uk university?

1. Feb 15, 2005 #1
    I am considering going in for summer at my university before my graduation year but being a first year i do not have any insight as to what it entails. Could anyone who has had such an experience advise me what its like.

I'm doing a masters degree in physics so it will either be physics or maths related. All insights appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2005 #2
    Ok anyone with any experience in a physics department?

4. Mar 2, 2005 #3
    You seem starved of replies, so here's some thoughts...

I spent the summer after my second year helping out in a physical chemistry research lab (doing luminescence and other stuff) and I would unreservedly recommend it. I learnt more about how experimental science works (and doesn't work...) in 3 months than in any number of undergraduate lab sessions. I'm guessing you are on a MPhys - if you are and you want to do a PhD, not only will it good on your applications, but it will give you a real insight into how research works day to day.

Hope that is helpful

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook