Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anybody know what these are?

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    I found these little objects on the floor of a building I am in the process of demolishing. I have no idea what they are or what they do, so I thought I would pop them on here to see if anyone can shed some light.
    There is a circuit on one end, covered in clear plastic.
    They unscrew, Inside there is a little tiny battery array that appears to have 2 cells.
    The end oposite the circuit is a magnet.
    There are 2 of them
    Here is a link to some photos.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v697/23224/strange object/
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Those are bugs.

Or maybe some kind of legal monitoring device. I like to think they are bugs. What was the building you are demolishing?

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3
    A petro canada gas station! Do you mean they are tracking devices or radio transmitters? What kind of bugs?
    Thanks for the reply!

5. Oct 3, 2008 #4
    That's a pretty remarkable little circuit on that thing. And based on the pictures, it looks custom made. I'd def. consider talking it to a spy museum to see what they say.

Was the owner of the gas station an arab?

The only problem is that it would require changing the batteries. It would make more sense for a bug to be hooked into a power line.

6. Oct 3, 2008 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think they're tiny magnetic space invaders glow lights. Or musical cuff links, with the clip removed.

What does the writing in the battery cap say?

7. Oct 3, 2008 #6
    The owner was an Arab. The battery is a c/l button cell ag3. There are 2 tiny cells shrinkwrapped together. There are tiny rubber "o" rings to keep them sealed when screwed shut. A couple of little washers as well. The Battery side of the circuit piece is very presisely perforated with tiny square holes in a grid pattern with ! small round hole near the edge. I terms of construction it is built more with the attributes of a medical device than say, an auto part, if you get my meaning. Well made I guess is my point.[​IMG]

8. Oct 3, 2008 #7
    You never know..............the gov. could have been listening to him.

I mean, looking at that circuit. Wow, its just SO small.... it's not something you see everyday. And given the form factors are different on each of them indicates they are custom made things (or at least they look to be).

Whats on the opposite end? I saw something with holes like for a microphone.

But then again, what exactly would they listen to a guy in a gas station for? Hi Mr. Customer what pump are you on?

9. Oct 3, 2008 #8
    Eh, but the battery placed inside would totally block that grid. So, probably not for a microphone.

Puzzles me why they would have a mesh back there.....the battery isnt going to over-heat on such a small device.

10. Oct 3, 2008 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But don't you think the government's bugs wouldn't look so much like, well, bugs?

11. Oct 3, 2008 #10

Art

Presumably they were concealed with the magnet used for gripping in which case it wouldn't matter what they looked like as no-one was ever meant to see them.

12. Oct 3, 2008 #11
    Maybe they are tracking devices? Little transmitters? They would stick right nicely to a car...
    [​IMG]

13. Oct 3, 2008 #12

Art

Mesh is used to filter out background noises such as wind and such in microphones. Maybe that's it's function?? I've never seen any commercial bugs that small and a quick look on the net confirms that which suggests gov't involvement.

14. Oct 3, 2008 #13
    No, what I'm saying is that the batter goes flush against that mesh. At least, it appears so from the picture. So unless there is a mic reciever there (which I dont see) I question the purpose of that mesh.

Looking at that bigger picture of the circuit. WOW! That's on the scale of what you would see inside a microprocessor. You need something very fancy to make that!

15. Oct 3, 2008 #14
    I'm going to vote bugs also. The government spies on a lot of people. They tapped my arabic professors phones and were spying on him. So why not a gas station clerk that could be part of the underground movement.

16. Oct 3, 2008 #15
    Did you put fresh batteries in them yet? They might light up and play jingle bells.

17. Oct 3, 2008 #16
    Actually, given the small, small, size of that thing. It could last for quite some time on that battery.

But it would have really bad transmitting range due to power losses 1/R^2. The person listening would have to be parked in a van pretty close to the thing.

This is really quite an amazing thing you found! Where did you find it? The location within the gas station.

18. Oct 3, 2008 #17
    The link isn't working for me. Are we having an Art Bell moment or is everyone else still able to access the pic?

19. Oct 4, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not a guess: They are decorative, high intensity, LED flashers.

The magnet normally allows them to be worn as earrings - I guess you are missing one piece - but maybe these are just intended to be attached to other objects.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  20. Oct 4, 2008 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

21. Oct 4, 2008 #20

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Aw.

Those'd be huge mofungo earrings. The depth of the things kinda suggests they are not. ALso the scoring on the sides suggests they were embedded into something.

Maybe they were used to flash some secret spy code in infra red!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?