What is it like to own a pet fox?

• Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
In summary, owning a fox as a pet is not a good idea as they are not a domesticated species and may become dangerous if not raised correctly. A recent Nova episode about the evolution of dogs has a segment about foxes, and there are several issues with owning a fox as a pet such as their strong smell, need for large space, tendency to dig and risk of carrying rabies. It is also difficult to find a veterinarian who can treat a wild animal and the fox may become unhappy if removed from its natural habitat. Ultimately, it is not recommended to own a fox as a pet and it is best to admire them from a distance.
Benzoate
I've always wanted to either be a red fox or at least own one. :D The latter is my only realistic option :( For those of you who own a fox, what is it like raising a fox as a pet? Are they really dangerous if you do not domesticate them correctly, or is raising a fox like raising the hybrid of a cat/dog?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think foxes can be domesticated.

Even though I don't have first-hand knowledge of raising foxes, I don't think it's a good idea. They aren't a domesticated species.

There's a Nova episode that was recently aired about the evolution of dogs, and they did a bit about foxes. Here's the link:

I agree that foxes are beautiful animals, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foxes are beautiful animals but I would highly recommend against getting one as a pet, they just aren't meant to be domesticated. I remember by dad telling me about how one of the neighbours had found a coyote pup and tried to tame it, it was fine with people, just basically a like a puppy until it grew up. It got mean and they could not keep it from killing their chickens no matter what they tried.

scorpa said:
Foxes are beautiful animals but I would highly recommend against getting one as a pet, they just aren't meant to be domesticated. I remember by dad telling me about how one of the neighbours had found a coyote pup and tried to tame it, it was fine with people, just basically a like a puppy until it grew up. It got mean and they could not keep it from killing their chickens no matter what they tried.

There must be some way for scientists to lower there adrenaline level without changing their entire genetic makeup.

Why do you want to own a wild animal? Seems rather cruel.

Foxes are feral animals, and they belong in the wild. We have them around our place, but they are rarely seen. They prefer lands away from people. A few show up dead along the roadways now and then.

Feral cats can't be tamed either.

Baby and young foxes need others of their kind, so it would be detrimental to the fox to own one from infancy, which one would need to do to have a chance at taming it.

Best to admire them from a distance.

I rather suspect there are laws against owning wild animals like a fox.

http://www.foxes.org/urbanfox/part3.html
Here are a few of the major problems with owning a fox as a pet:

• They smell as strong as a skunk in close quarters, and although it is theoretically possible to have their scent glands removed, this is not very healthy and will not eliminate the smell of their urine, which is very powerful.
  • Foxes need a huge amount of space in which to run.
  • Foxes love to dig, and can easily dig out of a yard or through a sofa.
  • Foxes are at high risk to carry rabies. In many areas, there is no approved rabies vaccine for foxes; even if you have papers proving your fox has been vaccinated, some states will still have it destroyed and tested if it bites someone.
  • Because foxes are at high risk, you MUST get it vaccinated. This can prove very difficult. Veterinarians need a special license to treat wildlife, which many don't have, because it's a high-risk, low-reward proposition.
  • Lastly, it is very likely that a fox you own as a pet will be very unhappy. Many wild animals become depressed when removed from their natural habitat, and foxes are subject to depression as much as any other animal.

Or just do what I did, buy a Corgi that looks a little fox-ish and name her Foxylady
bestfoxy.jpg

hypatia said:
Or just do what I did, buy a Corgi that looks a little fox-ish and name her Foxylady
bestfoxy.jpg
You have the cutest dogs!

Yeah, its like the people who try to keep lions as pets. It just ends up going bad. Sure you may get them to jump through flaming hola-hoops one day but sooner or later your going to get bitten. Oh and ASTRONUC, your wrong about feral cats (if you were talking about feline domesticus) I adopted one at it has taken close to 6 months but "pepper" is all cute and cudley now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah man, owning wild animals is WRONG! It should not continue or be promoted, especially by an intellectual (?) like you. Its a stupid facination of humans and it makes me sick. Otherwise, it would be like a dog, what do you think would be different? I like the Corgi idea.

binzing said:
Yeah man, owning wild animals is WRONG! It should not continue or be promoted, especially by an intellectual (?) like you. Its a stupid facination of humans and it makes me sick. Otherwise, it would be like a dog, what do you think would be different? I like the Corgi idea.

But foxes are not lions ; It is easier to tamed a fox than a lion. A fox won't even attack a domesticated cat (based on the numerous observations I made of the interaction between a cat and a wild fox; in some case the cat will even chased the wild fox) , What makes you think a fox will prey on humans? Not all foxes are the same. Some will easily adapt to human environment and some won't . Each fox is different

Benzoate said:
But foxes are not lions ; It is easier to tamed a fox than a lion. A fox won't even attack a domesticated cat (based on the numerous observations I made of the interaction between a cat and a wild fox; in some case the cat will even chased the wild fox) , What makes you think a fox will prey on humans? Not all foxes are the same. Some will easily adapt to human environment and some won't . Each fox is different

Foxes are predators, they will kill things, that is just their nature. Trust me they can wreak havoc on a chicken coop. They may not "prey" on humans, that would be pretty silly of them to try to kill something so much larger than themselves but that isn't saying they won't bite you. They belong in the wild, leave them there. If you want a pet that bad then get a dog or cat, something that is actually meant to be a pet.

God, you don't get it at all do you? I wasn't saying that they will attack people or pets (they will attack cats, though) I was saying that its wrong to own an animal that should be free in the wild, not in someone's house. Its like feeding wildlife, no good ever comes from it.

scorpa said:
Foxes are predators, they will kill things, that is just their nature. Trust me they can wreak havoc on a chicken coop. They may not "prey" on humans, that would be pretty silly of them to try to kill something so much larger than themselves but that isn't saying they won't bite you. They belong in the wild, leave them there. If you want a pet that bad then get a dog or cat, something that is actually meant to be a pet.

Having a cat and dog is soo cliche. I want to own something that's pretty to look at and is playful. You know the ancient egyptians used to keep cheetahs as pets. In addition if people can own rottweilers, why shouldn't people own foxes

Benzoate, there is a general theme of the posts here.

I understand your feelings. It's human nature to want to be close to natural world. You're really into foxes, because they are such beautiful animals.

But think of it from the fox's point of view - you know, animals have emotions, too. Since they aren't domestic animals, you would have to steal one from its mother! It would be wrong to do that! Cruel, even!

I know you want what you want, but I don't think foxes want to be owned by humans. They want to be wild.

binzing said:
Dude, your being the stereotypical idiot. "Oh, I want something that will look cool, that isn't cliche" Its dumb. Besides, where do you plan to get the fox to domesticate? Trap it? If you do I truly hope it bites you and gives you rabies. Goodnight

Don't call me names . You don't know me. Your acting very sophomoric. Just because its against the law to own foxes doesn't make foxes dangerous animals to have as pets. Just look at this video of a cat and a fox playing with each other; the fox is even chasing a laser pointer just like a cat would. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr6B6TqYobM&feature=related

Benzoate said:
Just because its against the law to own foxes doesn't make foxes dangerous animals to have as pets.

Did you read this sentence once you wrote it? Sure a fox might not be dangerous as a pet, but as others have pointed out it wouldn't be a very good situation for the fox. And one would think that on top of it being illegal would be enough to deter most people.

d_leet said:
Did you read this sentence once you wrote it? Sure a fox might not be dangerous as a pet, but as others have pointed out it wouldn't be a very good situation for the fox. And one would think that on top of it being illegal would be enough to deter most people.

Wouldn't you rather have the fox be raised as a pet , than be preyed upon by hunters/poachers and natural predators? As long as you spend time with your fox like you would with your child I see no problem owning a fox. Plus , if we are going to let foxes be wild, then why do people keep animals like parrots as pets? I think its cruel keeping birds locked up in a cage, than keeping a fox in your house/backyard. Birds were born to fly, not to be locked up in a cage/ At least a fox get the chance to interact with humans and other pets

Last edited:
Benzoate said:
Wouldn't you rather have the fox be raised as a pet , than be preyed upon by hunters/poachers and natural predators?

Hunters/poachers possibly, but natural predators is not an argument at all, why don't we raise everything that has a natural predator as a pet then?

Perhaps you could scale back a bit from one of the top predators in northern environments to a more social animal. Skunks are very sociable, attractive and trainable, and they (and their ferret relatives) could be interesting alternatives to dogs, cats, rabbits, etc. I would never want to have a fox, raccoon, or bobcat as a pet, but I have owned many ferrets, and have held wild skunks that were sweeties.

Benzoate said:
Wouldn't you rather have the fox be raised as a pet , than be preyed upon by hunters/poachers and natural predators? As long as you spend time with your fox like you would with your child I see no problem owning a fox. Plus , if we are going to let foxes be wild, then why do people keep animals like parrots as pets? I think its cruel keeping birds locked up in a cage, than keeping a fox in your house/backyard. Birds were born to fly, not to be locked up in a cage/ At least a fox get the chance to interact with humans and other pets

Then how is it not equally cruel depriving a fox from being around its natural habitat with other foxes interaction with humans and other pets (I assume normal domesticated pets here) is not the same.

Perhaps one could contact a wildlife rehabilitator in one's area. A woman in an office next to mine is a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, and she recently helped a bobcat who had been injured.

If one wants to work with wild animals, then it would be worthwhile to study under an expert and learn the proper methods for dealing with specific animals.

My wife found a baby fox in our back yard and she was able to find a rehabilitator who was able to take it. The rehabilitator had another baby fox and both kits benefitted, since foxes are usually raised in litters.

Having a fox as a pet may be possible, but it requires an enormous commitment beyond simply having a domestic cat or dog.

Benzoate said:
Having a cat and dog is soo cliche. I want to own something that's pretty to look at and is playful. You know the ancient egyptians used to keep cheetahs as pets. In addition if people can own rottweilers, why shouldn't people own foxes
I take it you are just making this up for some unknown reason to get people riled.

Enough.

1. What makes owning a pet fox different from owning other common pets?

Owning a pet fox is different from owning other common pets because foxes are wild animals and have not been domesticated for as long as dogs or cats. This means that they still retain some of their instincts and behaviors that can make them more challenging to care for.

2. What type of environment do foxes need to thrive as pets?

Foxes need a large and secure outdoor space to roam and play, as well as a comfortable indoor space to sleep and relax. They also require plenty of enrichment activities and mental stimulation to keep them entertained and prevent boredom.

3. Are foxes suitable pets for families with young children?

Foxes are not recommended as pets for families with young children. They have sharp teeth and claws, and their wild instincts may cause them to act aggressively towards small children. Additionally, they can be difficult to train and may not be suitable for a household with young children who may not understand how to interact with them properly.

4. What type of diet do pet foxes need?

Pet foxes need a diet that is high in protein and fat, similar to their natural diet in the wild. This can include a variety of meats, fruits, and vegetables. It is important to do research and consult with a veterinarian to determine the specific dietary needs of your pet fox.

5. Do pet foxes require any special care or medical attention?

Yes, pet foxes require regular veterinary check-ups and may require vaccinations and parasite control. They also need regular grooming, including nail trimming and dental care. It is important to stay up to date on their medical needs to ensure they stay healthy and happy as pets.