Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anybody own a fox

1. Jan 19, 2008 #1
    I've always wanted to either be a red fox or at least own one. :D The latter is my only realistic option :( For those of you who own a fox, what is it like raising a fox as a pet? Are they really dangerous if you do not domesticate them correctly, or is raising a fox like raising the hybrid of a cat/dog?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2

Mk

I don't think foxes can be domesticated.

4. Jan 19, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even though I don't have first-hand knowledge of raising foxes, I don't think it's a good idea. They aren't a domesticated species.

There's a Nova episode that was recently aired about the evolution of dogs, and they did a bit about foxes. Here's the link:

I agree that foxes are beautiful animals, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Jan 19, 2008 #4
    Foxes are beautiful animals but I would highly recommend against getting one as a pet, they just aren't meant to be domesticated. I remember by dad telling me about how one of the neighbours had found a coyote pup and tried to tame it, it was fine with people, just basically a like a puppy until it grew up. It got mean and they could not keep it from killing their chickens no matter what they tried.

6. Jan 19, 2008 #5
    There must be some way for scientists to lower there adrenaline level without changing their entire genetic makeup.

7. Jan 19, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why do you want to own a wild animal? Seems rather cruel.

8. Jan 19, 2008 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Foxes are feral animals, and they belong in the wild. We have them around our place, but they are rarely seen. They prefer lands away from people. A few show up dead along the roadways now and then.

Feral cats can't be tamed either.

Baby and young foxes need others of their kind, so it would be detrimental to the fox to own one from infancy, which one would need to do to have a chance at taming it.

Best to admire them from a distance.

9. Jan 19, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I rather suspect there are laws against owning wild animals like a fox.

10. Jan 19, 2008 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.foxes.org/urbanfox/part3.html

11. Jan 19, 2008 #10
    Or just do what I did, buy a Corgi that looks a little fox-ish and name her Foxylady
    [​IMG]

12. Jan 19, 2008 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You have the cutest dogs!!!!

13. Jan 19, 2008 #12
    Yeah, its like the people who try to keep lions as pets. It just ends up going bad. Sure you may get them to jump through flaming hola-hoops one day but sooner or later your gonna get bitten. Oh and ASTRONUC, your wrong about feral cats (if you were talking about feline domesticus) I adopted one at it has taken close to 6 months but "pepper" is all cute and cudley now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2008
  14. Jan 19, 2008 #13
    Yeah man, owning wild animals is WRONG! It should not continue or be promoted, especially by an intellectual (?) like you. Its a stupid facination of humans and it makes me sick. Otherwise, it would be like a dog, what do you think would be different? I like the Corgi idea.

15. Jan 19, 2008 #14
    But foxes are not lions ; It is easier to tamed a fox than a lion. A fox won't even attack a domesticated cat (based on the numerous observations I made of the interaction between a cat and a wild fox; in some case the cat will even chased the wild fox) , What makes you think a fox will prey on humans? Not all foxes are the same. Some will easily adapt to human environment and some won't . Each fox is different

16. Jan 19, 2008 #15
    Foxes are predators, they will kill things, that is just their nature. Trust me they can wreak havoc on a chicken coop. They may not "prey" on humans, that would be pretty silly of them to try to kill something so much larger than themselves but that isn't saying they won't bite you. They belong in the wild, leave them there. If you want a pet that bad then get a dog or cat, something that is actually meant to be a pet.

17. Jan 19, 2008 #16
    God, you don't get it at all do you? I wasn't saying that they will attack people or pets (they will attack cats, though) I was saying that its wrong to own an animal that should be free in the wild, not in someone's house. Its like feeding wildlife, no good ever comes from it.

18. Jan 19, 2008 #17
    Having a cat and dog is soo cliche. I want to own something thats pretty to look at and is playful. You know the ancient egyptians used to keep cheetahs as pets. In addition if people can own rottweilers, why shouldnt people own foxes

19. Jan 19, 2008 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Benzoate, there is a general theme of the posts here.

I understand your feelings. It's human nature to want to be close to natural world. You're really into foxes, because they are such beautiful animals.

But think of it from the fox's point of view - you know, animals have emotions, too. Since they aren't domestic animals, you would have to steal one from its mother! It would be wrong to do that!! Cruel, even!

I know you want what you want, but I don't think foxes want to be owned by humans. They want to be wild.

20. Jan 20, 2008 #19
    Don't call me names . You don't know me. Your acting very sophomoric. Just because its against the law to own foxes doesn't make foxes dangerous animals to have as pets. Just look at this video of a cat and a fox playing with each other; the fox is even chasing a laser pointer just like a cat would. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr6B6TqYobM&feature=related

21. Jan 20, 2008 #20
    Did you read this sentence once you wrote it? Sure a fox might not be dangerous as a pet, but as others have pointed out it wouldn't be a very good situation for the fox. And one would think that on top of it being illegal would be enough to deter most people.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?