1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone at AAPT Portland?

1. Jul 14, 2013 #1

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Anyone at AAPT Portland?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2013 #2
    Are you ? :) Looks like a lovely area!

4. Jul 19, 2013 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

:cry:

And I had this whole week off......
    And I have a Physics Forums t-shirt.......
    And I stayed home and sat on my butt all day on the 17th........

:cry:

Wait. I'm not an AAPT member. It would have cost me $900 to attend. Good god, I could buy a ton of scientific gear for that much money.

hmmm.... What's this? They made six trips to the "World´s Tallest Barometer"? And it was free!

I'll have to stop by notaPSU and take a look. That sounds very cool.

5. Jul 19, 2013 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was there from Sunday to Wednesday. Portland was a nice place.... Food was tasty. The meeting went well.

(I usually attend at least one of the two national AAPT meetings a year, presenting either a 10 minute talk or a poster.)

The next meetings are in Orlando (Jan '14) and Minneapolis (Jul '14).

6. Jul 19, 2013 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Cool, I just joined AAPT last month. I live on the opposite coast, however, and the trip was not feasible for me.

7. Jul 20, 2013 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The meeting moves around. It helps when the meeting expenses ( registration , travel, and hotel ) are covered by an educational institution.

In addition to the national meetings, there are regional meetings as well :
    http://www.aapt.org/aboutaapt/calendar.cfm (click the search button at the bottom if the entire year isn't shown.)

[There has been a perception (particularly by classmates when I was in grad school) that the AAPT is just for high school physics teachers. That's not true. There are also many college and university faculty, as well some enthusiastic undergrads and grad students,... from all over the US and from the rest of the world. Topics include, for example: construction of apparatus (from hands on tabletop experiments to advanced undergraduate labs), studying student understanding of various concepts in physics, new strategies and technologies to keep students engaged, new ways to teach (say) quantum mechanics, strategies for career advancement and applying for grants, etc...]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook