1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone at Waterloo Engineering?

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    (Waterloo as University of Waterloo in Canada)

Hi

I have went through Waterloo's Engineering curricula and degree requirements. And it seems like there aren't any elective courses I can take. It is already full with engineering courses. Is it ture that engineering students cannot take any elective courses?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2
    If you're referring to electives outside of engineering, then I'm pretty sure you'll have a few ones. All engineering programs in Canada require a certain set and type of "complimentary studies" (CS) options outside of engineering. They're typically not completely free electives though, and amongst your CS courses you'll take things like engineering economics, ethics in the engineering profession, technical writing. You might also to pick from a set of courses that deal with the humanities and society (aka faculty of arts courses, except language ones) and also choose a course that deals with science, technology, and society.

4. Oct 22, 2011 #3
    I was wondering if I can take music courses (at least 5 courses)

5. Oct 22, 2011 #4
    Unless you want to stay an extra semester or year, no. I go to another accredited engineering program in Ontario (so similar curriculum) and I got to chose my one non-engineering elective out of like 5 courses (business, economics, psych etc..).

6. Oct 22, 2011 #5
    Then I might stay one more term

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook