Anyone at Waterloo Engineering?

• Thread starter ode_to_joy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the University of Waterloo's engineering program in Canada does have elective courses, but they are limited and must be chosen from a set of "complimentary studies" options outside of engineering. These options typically include courses in engineering economics, ethics, technical writing, humanities and society, and science, technology, and society. Taking music courses as electives may not be possible unless the student is willing to extend their program by an additional semester or year.
ode_to_joy
(Waterloo as University of Waterloo in Canada)

Hi

I have went through Waterloo's Engineering curricula and degree requirements. And it seems like there aren't any elective courses I can take. It is already full with engineering courses. Is it ture that engineering students cannot take any elective courses?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're referring to electives outside of engineering, then I'm pretty sure you'll have a few ones. All engineering programs in Canada require a certain set and type of "complimentary studies" (CS) options outside of engineering. They're typically not completely free electives though, and amongst your CS courses you'll take things like engineering economics, ethics in the engineering profession, technical writing. You might also to pick from a set of courses that deal with the humanities and society (aka faculty of arts courses, except language ones) and also choose a course that deals with science, technology, and society.

I was wondering if I can take music courses (at least 5 courses)

ode_to_joy said:
I was wondering if I can take music courses (at least 5 courses)

Unless you want to stay an extra semester or year, no. I go to another accredited engineering program in Ontario (so similar curriculum) and I got to chose my one non-engineering elective out of like 5 courses (business, economics, psych etc..).

Then I might stay one more term

Thanks

1. What is the admission process for Waterloo Engineering?

The admission process for Waterloo Engineering includes submitting an application through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC), completing a mandatory online Admission Information Form (AIF), and providing transcripts and supporting documents. Admission decisions are based on a combination of grades, AIF responses, and an optional interview.

2. What are the most popular programs at Waterloo Engineering?

The most popular programs at Waterloo Engineering are Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. These programs consistently have high enrollment numbers and are highly regarded in the industry.

3. What kind of co-op opportunities are available for students at Waterloo Engineering?

Waterloo Engineering has one of the largest co-op programs in the world, with over 7,000 active employer partnerships. Co-op opportunities are available in a wide range of industries, including technology, manufacturing, and consulting. Students have the opportunity to gain valuable work experience and earn a competitive salary while completing their degree.

4. What is the student experience like at Waterloo Engineering?

The student experience at Waterloo Engineering is known for its rigorous academic program and strong sense of community. Students have access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources, and are encouraged to participate in extracurricular activities, clubs, and design teams. The university also offers a variety of support services to help students succeed academically and mentally.

5. Can students at Waterloo Engineering participate in research opportunities?

Yes, students at Waterloo Engineering have the opportunity to participate in research through various initiatives, including the Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) and the Engineering Undergraduate Research Awards (EURA). These programs provide students with the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects with faculty members and graduate students, gaining valuable experience and skills in their field of study.