Why Is My LaTeX Figure Misplaced and How Do I Remove an Unwanted Blank Page?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter camillerinadia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: Hello, I'm using a different version of latex and I'm having the same problem. I think it has something to do with the \setcounter{page}{1} command that you're supposed to put right after \documentclass[twoside, 17pt]{gsm-l} and \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}. Can you tell me more about this?
camillerinadia
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

I've been trying for a long time to use graphics on my pdf file, using latex, but I cannot succeed. I've used mathematica to save my graphics as .eps files, and when I insert the commands in LaTeX as follows:

\begin{figure}
\includegraphics[width=8cm]{sinx.eps}\\
\caption{Figure 1}
\end{figure}

and compile the file, I get the graphic file but it's not printed where I need it. It's somewhere else. Why is this happening?

PLEASE HELP! I'M IN NEED OF SOMEONE'S HELP!:cry::cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you replace your first line with \begin{figure}[h] it should set it in between the correct paragraphs.

Thanks so much Cristo! You made my day!

Hello, I have written some notes, and in the end I want to dedicate a page to the Index of my notes. I have made \index{} before a word that I want it in the index page, I've also written \makeindex at the start but I do not see any index when I compile it as a .dvi file. Can anyone help me??
Thanks a lot

Last edited:
still with a problem

Thanks cristo, I used the link you sent me. There is written:

Add the makeidx document-style option to the list of options in the
\documentstyle command. (See page 21 of the LaTEX manual.)

Where should I add the command: makeidx? I do not know where. Can you help me please? thanks a lot

Help with LaTeX

thank you for your reply. I am using latex and I'm using a feature called {gsm-l} which changes the format of the first page of every chapter. The problem is that the pdf document I'm writing starts from the 3rd page not from 1st page. Please can you help me with this??

camillerinadia said:
thank you for your reply. I am using latex and I'm using a feature called {gsm-l} which changes the format of the first page of every chapter. The problem is that the pdf document I'm writing starts from the 3rd page not from 1st page. Please can you help me with this??

If the problem is simply that the page numbering is off, you can use :

\setcounter{page}{1}

and it will reset the page count to 1 from wherever that command is placed. Also check your documentclass, as some classes leave the first few pages title pages, a blank page for aesthetic purposes, etc.

Hello, thank you for your help. I've put the command \setcounter{page}{1} right after these commands:

\documentclass[twoside, 17pt]{gsm-l}
\usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
\begin{document}\Large

\flushleft\chapter{Basic Algebra}but the page is starting from 3, not from 1. What am I doing wrong?

Try placing the \setcounter{page}{1} right after the \begin{document} line (and before \chapter{...}).

LaTeX help

Hi,

I need some help with latex.

I have a document created using the 'article' class. The formatting for the rest of the document is perfect but for some reason, latex inserts an additional blank page as the first page.

I have no idea as to how to remove this first blank page? I must remove it because it even disturbs the page numbering for the rest of the document.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

What is Latex?

Latex is a typesetting language used for creating professional-looking documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and engineering.

Who can use Latex?

Anyone can use Latex, but it is particularly popular among scientists, academics, and researchers due to its capabilities for creating complex equations and formulas.

Why should I use Latex?

Latex offers many advantages over other word processing programs, including superior typesetting, support for complex mathematical equations, and the ability to easily create professional-looking documents for publication.

Do I need to be an expert in programming to use Latex?

No, you do not need to be an expert in programming to use Latex. While some knowledge of programming may be helpful, there are many resources available for beginners to learn how to use Latex.

Are there any alternatives to Latex?

Yes, there are other typesetting languages and programs available, such as Microsoft Word and Adobe InDesign. However, Latex is the preferred choice for many scientists and researchers due to its specialized features for scientific documents.