Exploring IPhO 2005: Who's Attending and What to Expect?

• Thread starter AndersoN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ipho
In summary, the International Physics Olympiad is a competition where physics students from all over the world come to compete. The competition is well organized and has a lot of fun. Participants must be less than 20 years old, and must have graduated from a university. Although the competition is fun, it can be very demanding because participants must get up at 7:30 in the morning and go somewhere for breakfast.
AndersoN
Hi, people!
I'm a bit new to this site, and I was wondering how many of you are coming to the 36th International Physics Olympiad(2005) , which will be held in Salamanca, Spain.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was in the 33rd IPHO (2002) in Bali, Indonesia. It was well organized, although I didn't manage to get a medal or a honorable mention. :smile:

http://www.fi.itb.ac.id/~ipho33/

Last edited by a moderator:
You coming this year? Or... should I guess you are already in your 3rd year at a university :)
Last year in Korea the organization was also good, and we had a lot of fun. What I didn't like is that we always had to go somewhere, as get up at 7:30, have breakfast and GO! :)

AndersoN said:
You coming this year? Or... should I guess you are already in your 3rd year at a university :)
Last year in Korea the organization was also good, and we had a lot of fun. What I didn't like is that we always had to go somewhere, as get up at 7:30, have breakfast and GO! :)

No, I would have liked to but I cannot because I have already graduated from University :smile: . Why, were you last year as well? Is this possible?

I am still a student, currently in the 11th grade, and thus there is no problem for me to come to the IPhO. As far as I know you can go to IPhO only if you are LESS then 20 years old + some other rules apply. So I guess you can not go. But, if you speak to the comitee, I think you can come as a guide or sth like that, just observer or don't know who. I know that last year one Korean guy was the guide of the Korean team, while he himself was a participant of IPhO in 2003.

By the way. Did your participation in IPhO help you while applying to the university? :-)

I'm going to come the 2005 ipho in spain, as participant.

where are you from?
is it your first time at IPhO?

I'm from Israel and This is my first ipho. I'm not nervous or anything, I'm just curious about the process students from other countries have to undergo to get into the olympic team and the way they are treated once they're in.
Therefore, I'd like you to tell me where you're from and a bit about the filtering process, and the rewards the olympic team gets.
Other than that, if you'd like to talk, you may contact me via msn messenger (my msn messenger email is bolverk17@hotmail.com).

1. What is the date and location of IPhO 2005?

IPhO 2005 was held from July 3-12, 2005 in Salamanca, Spain.

2. Who is eligible to attend IPhO 2005?

IPhO 2005 was open to high school students who were selected by their respective national physics organizations to represent their countries in the competition.

3. What is the purpose of IPhO 2005?

The International Physics Olympiad (IPhO) is an annual physics competition for high school students from around the world. Its goal is to promote interest in physics and recognize the achievements of young physicists.

4. How many countries participated in IPhO 2005?

A total of 69 countries participated in IPhO 2005, with over 300 students competing.

5. What events and activities were included in IPhO 2005?

Aside from the theoretical and experimental physics exams, IPhO 2005 also featured a cultural program, sightseeing tours, and a closing ceremony where medals were awarded to the top-performing students.