How Can I Cook This Massive Amount of Chicken? Need Creative Recipes!

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person who bought a large amount of chicken on sale and is now looking for creative recipes to cook it. Suggestions include marinating the chicken in Italian dressing and baking it, making Chicken Adobo with optional pork, cooking the chicken in a buried fire pit, making Beer Butt Chicken, and using leftover chicken in a Grilled Curry Chicken Salad & Pita. Different spice mixtures are also recommended for cooking the chicken in the oven.
Zero
I caught a HUGE sale on 5 lb fryers Friday...$2.50 apiece! So, of course, I bought about a dozen of them, figuring you can cook chicken a million ways. Now, I am at a loss. How am I going to cook all this chicken?

I'm looking for creative recipes. I know how to roast a chicken, make chicken soup, and I make the best chicken salad sandwiches on the planet. And, I am NOT buying a turkey and a duck, and making a three-layered roast, no matter what anyone says(The removal of all the bones is too difficult for me...)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no master chef, but I once cooked a meal for a girl.. Marinate(or soak) the chicken in an italian dressing or other dressing of your choosing for about 3-4 hours, then bake/roast it... very tasty, and the girl loved it

If you want something exotic, try Chicken Adobo the pork is optional:

1 cup distilled white vinegar (or cider vinegar)
1 cup water
2 tablespoons peeled and crushed garlic
2 teaspoons salt
2 pieces of bay leaves
half teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound chicken, cut into serving pieces, Chinese style
2 pounds pork butt, cut into cubes
soy sauce
oil

Add vinegar, water, garlic, salt, bay leaves and pepper into a large casserole. Bring to a boil. Add the meat, cover and bring to a boil. Simmer and cook for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle liberally with soy sauce and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Remove met and reduce sauce. Remove sauce to a bowl. Put oil into the casserole and brown cooked meat. Drain oil from the casserole, and return the reduced sauce back with the meat.

You left out the Adobo??

Here's an example of what I already have...take a package of bird stuffing, mix in a pound of sausage and a cup of shredded cheese, stuff the bird, roast it, and baste in a glaze of mint, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper.

if you have a yard have a small camp fire in a foot deep and round hole once you have some hot coals wrap the chicken in foil and tie a pice of long wire to it and burry it (with wire sticking out of the ground) in the coals and cover the hole so no smoke comes out. the oxgen will burn it. it should stay in there for 8 to 12 hours depending on the size of the chicken. when you eat it it will be verry tender (we used to do it at the ranch when we had parties) :smile:

Originally posted by Zeke
if you have a yard have a small camp fire in a foot deep and round hole once you have some hot coals wrap the chicken in foil and tie a pice of long wire to it and burry it (with wire sticking out of the ground) in the coals and cover the hole so no smoke comes out. the oxgen will burn it. it should stay in there for 8 to 12 hours depending on the size of the chicken. when you eat it it will be verry tender (we used to do it at the ranch when we had parties) :smile:
Sounds like fun, if nothing else!

Very fun, but what happens when the neighbors see you putting coals and chicken into the ground, and then burying it..

Originally posted by Mattius_
Very fun, but what happens when the neighbors see you putting coals and chicken into the ground, and then burying it..
They come over to eat, once they smell what is cooking? A good trick, BTW, when burying food with coals, is to wrap the food in lettuce leaves...the moisture of the leaves keeps the food from burning.

Beer Butt Chicken.

Take on full can of beer, punch a few holes in it, stick it in the chicken [up the rear] and then roast or BBQ like normal. The beer boils off through the bird as it cooks.

Edit: I think this works for swan also.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Beer Butt Chicken.

Take on full can of beer, punch a few holes in it, stick it in the chicken [up the rear] and then roast or BBQ like normal. The beer boils off through the bird as it cooks.

Been there, done that!'
And it is GOOD!

This is a good idea for all the left over chicken you might have after eating your belly to the fullest:

Grilled Curry Chicken Salad & Pita

- 1 whole skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 tbsp canola-oil mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp nonfat plain yoghurt
- 1/3 cup peeled and diced apple
- 1/4 cup red seedless grapes, quartered
- 3 tbsp diced red onion
- 2 tsp apple juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper

- 2 whole-wheat pita rounds, cut in half
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 8 slices tomato

Just grill the chicken or use whatever you've got left over. Make the salad and serve it with the pita and garnish with the tomato and lettuce. The diced chicken goes through the salad.

I agree, it takes some time to quater grapes, just make sure the knife is sharp. The taste is incredible! The apple, grapes, chicken, yoghurt and curry make for an incredibly fresh experience

Last edited:
I always cook my chicken in the oven 350° on a piece of greased aluminium foil, pork also does well in the oven..

I make up my own spice mixture to rub into the meat, you might like it:

- 6 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp coarse salt
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 pinches cayenne pepper

cook for 6-8 minutes for each inch of thickness and enjoy!

Originally posted by Monique
This is a good idea for all the left over chicken you might have after eating your belly to the fullest:

Grilled Curry Chicken Salad & Pita

- 1 whole skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 tbsp canola-oil mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp nonfat plain yoghurt
- 1/3 cup peeled and diced apple
- 1/4 cup red seedless grapes, quartered
- 3 tbsp diced red onion
- 2 tsp apple juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper

- 2 whole-wheat pita rounds, cut in half
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 8 slices tomato

Just grill the chicken or use whatever you've got left over. Make the salad and serve it with the pita and garnish with the tomato and lettuce.

I agree, it takes some time to quater grapes, just make sure the knife is sharp. The taste is incredible! The apple, grapes, chicken, yoghurt and curry make for an incredibly fresh experience
Sounds really good, thanks!

I still remember the time I went to Costco with a friend and we bought 3 whole chickens, because it was 2 + 1 for free.. I didn't want any, but since 3 whole chickens don't fit into the freezer, I received one..

Well, I got home, looked at the poor chicken.. rationalizing I tried to tell myself that I had handled meat many times before and that this one was no different.. in fact I was freaking out by the sight of it.. I undid the plastic wrapping and looked at it again.. take out the giblits, it said.. I just totally freaked every time I had to touch the featherless chicken, coming close to a nerve breakdown ..

At last I just couldn't do it and gave back the chicken to the friend to clean and dismember.. [b(]

Really stupid, I know, I even once cut open a mouse and took out its intestines (for an immunology class that is), but I was wearing gloves at the time.. no more whole chicken for me

Originally posted by Mattius_

You can always ask the agents from Homeland Security to stay for dinner.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Beer Butt Chicken.

They missed this one on the site about how to cook a space alien.

Here is my favorite recipe.
I just guess the proportions.

Cut up the chickens into pieces. Soak pieces in a pan of concentrated lime juice for hours. Salt and pepper. Flour if you must.
Fry up or bake the chicken.

Meanwhile, cut up a hefty bagful of sweet dates into quarters.
Add, oh, a cup of sherry. Add sliced crystallized ginger and saffron threads to taste.
Pulse the mixture in a food processor to mash it up, if you have one.
Cook and reduce to a sauce on the stove.

Steam a pot of rice.

Slice up several papayas.

Spread cooked rice on a large platter.
Place cooked chicken pieces around the bed of rice.
Pour the date mixture over the chicken and rice.
Place papaya pieces around the platter.
Place watercress around the platter.
Eat it up.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhm!

That sounds goooood!

Stew Chicken Recipe

1 whole chicken
1 onion sliced
1 sweet bell pepper, sliced
3 small balls recardo*
2 Tbs. seasonall
1 Tbs. black pepper
1 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/3 cup tomato paste

Cut chicken into about 12 pieces. Wash and drain. Add a little water to the recardo and rub on chicken pieces to coat. Add seasonall, pepper, parsley, and garlic powder. Mix well and let sit for 15 minutes. In skillet heat oil until hot. Add chicken pieces and cook until browned on both sides. Remove chicken to baking pan. Remove most of the oil from skillet. Saute onions and pepper in oil, add tomato paste diluted with 2/3 cup water. Pour over chicken in baking pan with remaining recardo gravy from seasoning chicken. Cover with foil and bake at 400-degrees for 10-15 minutes. Serves 4-6

If you serve with some fried ripe plantain, stewed beans and rice (or rice and beans), you have a very nice meal.

Here's a quick recipe that takes very little effort yet tastes pretty good in my opinion.

Chicken legs or chicken thighs
Soy Sauce (Kikoman is my preferred brand)
1 lemon or more to taste.

Place 2-4 chicken legs and/or thighs on a baking dish.
Pour 3 cap fulls of soy sauce per chicken ("cap" equals cap of the soy sauce bottle you use.
Squeeze one lemon juice over the entire dish (add more if you wish).

Heat the oven to 350-400 degrees Farenheit
Bake the chicken for about 15-25 minutes.

Serve with rice and veggies. Quick, easy and delicious.

Most people I've served this to liked it. Hope you do too.

1. How can I store and preserve a large amount of chicken?

One option is to divide the chicken into smaller portions and freeze them in airtight containers or freezer bags. Another option is to cook the chicken and then store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

2. What are some creative recipes for cooking a large amount of chicken?

Some ideas include making a big batch of chicken stir fry, chicken and vegetable soup, chicken enchiladas, or chicken casserole. You can also use the cooked chicken in salads, sandwiches, or as a topping for pizza or pasta.

3. How can I ensure that the chicken is cooked thoroughly?

It is important to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. The thickest part of the chicken should reach 165°F (74°C) to ensure that it is fully cooked. You can also cut into the chicken to make sure there is no pink color or raw texture.

4. Can I marinate the chicken before cooking it?

Yes, marinating the chicken can add flavor and moisture. Just make sure to marinate the chicken in the refrigerator and discard any leftover marinade that has come into contact with raw chicken. You can also use dry rubs or seasonings to add flavor to the chicken.

5. What is the best way to cook a large amount of chicken?

It depends on personal preference and the recipe you are using. Some methods include roasting, grilling, sautéing, or baking. You can also use a slow cooker or pressure cooker for convenience. Just make sure to adjust cooking times and temperatures accordingly for a larger amount of chicken.