What is Su Doku and How to Solve It?

• Thread starter Mike AkA Don
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan
In summary, the conversation was about the game Sudoku and the different methods and websites people use to solve it. The speaker has become fond of the game and averages 12 minutes on hard puzzles. They also mention getting their mom and a physics major hooked on the game. However, the speaker does not find the puzzles in newspapers to be challenging enough and prefers to play on a website. They also mention a computer assignment they had to do involving creating a solver for the game.
Mike AkA Don
I've become particulary fond of these, 3x3 boxes with 3x3 boxes in each and you must have 1-9 vertical, horizontal and in each 3x3 box. I'm sure most have seen it before. The link below provides a program for it. I average 12 minutes on hard puzzles.

http://www.sudoku.com/

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't played recently. Got my mom hooked on it though.

Cosmo16 said:
I haven't played recently. Got my mom hooked on it though.
I did too but it takes her like an hour to finish one in the news paper... Sad.

I have been playing it for a while now. I think the newspapers are a bit too easy: Yesterday the paper had a "5 star" (out of 5) puzzle and it took less than 10 minutes. I play at www.websudoku.com

All the physics majors i talk to can do these things in like 10 minutes max. This one girl in this class i took... she's all "I love these soduku thingies, it only takes me an hour to finish them sometimes".

I then proceeded to slap her

All the physics majors i talk to can do these things in like 10 minutes max. This one girl in this class i took... she's all "I love these soduku thingies, it only takes me an hour to finish them sometimes".

I then proceeded to slap her

It depends on how much attention I am paying to it and how much I am playing. I have no idea how long the ones in the newspaper would take me. I have only done like 2 from there.

Our first computer assignement was making a brute-force solver for these (we weren't ALLOWED to make a 'smart' solver, because there were so many around the net)

1. What is Su Doku?

Su Doku is a logic-based number-placement puzzle that became popular in Japan in the 1980s. It involves filling a 9x9 grid with numbers so that each row, column, and 3x3 subgrid contains all the digits from 1 to 9.

2. How do you play Su Doku?

To play Su Doku, you must fill the grid with numbers while following the rules of the game. Each row, column, and subgrid must contain all the digits from 1 to 9 without any repeats. Some numbers are given as clues to help you get started. The goal is to fill the entire grid correctly.

3. Is Su Doku good for brain health?

Yes, playing Su Doku can have many benefits for brain health. It can improve critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and memory. It also provides a mental workout and can help reduce the risk of cognitive decline as we age.

4. Can Su Doku be solved using computer algorithms?

Yes, Su Doku can be solved using computer algorithms. In fact, there are many computer programs and apps that can solve Su Doku puzzles quickly and accurately. However, the challenge and enjoyment of Su Doku come from solving it without the aid of technology.

5. Is there a strategy for solving Su Doku puzzles?

Yes, there are various strategies and techniques for solving Su Doku puzzles. Some common ones include scanning, cross-hatching, and counting. It is also helpful to start with the easiest clues and work your way up to the more challenging ones. With practice, you can develop your own personal strategy for solving Su Doku puzzles.