Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone else having trouble connecting to PF?

1. Jan 10, 2008 #1
    hey, the main website won't connect for me, I can't even get to my userCP... i got here through my history; GD is pretty much the only part that works for me. Wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2008 #2
    Yup Im having the same problem...

4. Jan 10, 2008 #3
    I'm having problems all day long. I've been able to google a link to physics section, then choose a subforum using a pop-up window below. I hope it's nothing serious.

5. Jan 10, 2008 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a disaster! Someone move this to feedback, so Greg might see it. Can't have him enjoying his vacation, can we?

6. Jan 11, 2008 #5
    Yeah, got a 404 error for all attempts in the last 16 hours or so. I see several high frequency posters missing. I see hours in between posts.

7. Jan 11, 2008 #6

Mk

Haven't had any problems as of today, I view as many threads throughout the day as anybody.

8. Jan 11, 2008 #7
    For me the system is up to speed again. Yesterday morning it took minutes before pages reacted. The afternoon things froze. I see up to two hours in between two posts last night, (evening for central USA) For instance:

Many of the most frequent posters were/are inactive, for instance Astronuc, Evo, Rewebster, Turbo-1, Wolram.

And things are slowing down by the minute. I'm afraid. But I'm sure that Greg and Warren are on top of it, and I wish them all the wishdom to solve the problem.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  9. Jan 11, 2008 #8
    I started noticing weird things a day ago.The 'First-post preview' wouldn't work and when I clicked on certain links, a download pop-up appeared asking me whether I wanted to download some .php file. Later, those pop-ups appeared even when I clicked on the PF bookmark in my browser. Things seem normal now, and I'm happy to see only 3 pages of unread posts. :biggrin:

10. Jan 11, 2008 #9
    Yes I also experienced some issues yesterday.

But today things seem to be settled down and back to normal. I wonder what happened. I could access all the individual forums by using history or using google site searches, but the main page would never come up. Very odd indeed.

11. Jan 11, 2008 #10
    GD was the only thing able to be viewed for me too---the page would 'lock' when trying to view other sub-forums and I couldn't 'log on'---

Greg should have a special email account that would sound off like a weather alert from NOAA when there's a problem.

12. Jan 11, 2008 #11
    I haven't been able to connect to the site for about a day and half. Today seems back to normal.

13. Jan 11, 2008 #12

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

YesterPF = zero connectivity
    NowPF = just fine

For me at least. Maybe yesterday the UFO's were actively destroying our attempts to deny their existence. Uh oh....I've read too many PF posts today by the editors of grocery store tabloids.... it must be contagious - "it" being insanity. And here I thought insanity was hereditary - you get it from your kids.

14. Jan 11, 2008 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I couldn't get in even through history or google.

15. Jan 11, 2008 #14
    yay! working again!

take that, aliens!

16. Jan 11, 2008 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I couldn't access PF yesterday, either.

That always leaves me a little unsettled. What happens if Greg dies? Do we all just vanish into nonexistance or is there life after PF?

17. Jan 11, 2008 #16

Evo

Don't even say it!!! :surprised

18. Jan 11, 2008 #17
    I wondered if it was botnets

(alien botnets, maybe)

19. Jan 11, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it is time that the truth is known: We are nothing but a virtual manifestation of Greg's consciousness.

20. Jan 11, 2008 #19

Evo

We all need to be REALLY NICE to Greg. If he tires of us, he could sell us off. :cry:

21. Jan 11, 2008 #20
    mentors bring the highest money (esp. the female ones!)

----------

(price= rarity, demand, and condition)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?