Anyone else having trouble connecting to PF?

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
In summary, many of the most frequent posters were inactive, the site was slowing down, and strange things were happening. However, things seem to be back to normal now.
moe darklight
hey, the main website won't connect for me, I can't even get to my userCP... i got here through my history; GD is pretty much the only part that works for me. Wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup I am having the same problem...

I'm having problems all day long. I've been able to google a link to physics section, then choose a subforum using a pop-up window below. I hope it's nothing serious.

It's a disaster! Someone move this to feedback, so Greg might see it. Can't have him enjoying his vacation, can we?

Yeah, got a 404 error for all attempts in the last 16 hours or so. I see several high frequency posters missing. I see hours in between posts.

Haven't had any problems as of today, I view as many threads throughout the day as anybody.

For me the system is up to speed again. Yesterday morning it took minutes before pages reacted. The afternoon things froze. I see up to two hours in between two posts last night, (evening for central USA) For instance:

Intuitive content of Loop Gravity--Rovelli's program ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
marcus T 02:31
marcus
Beyond the Standard Model Spice mutual inductance
mlamey T 00:34 (European time)
berkeman

Many of the most frequent posters were/are inactive, for instance Astronuc, Evo, Rewebster, Turbo-1, Wolram.

And things are slowing down by the minute. I'm afraid. But I'm sure that Greg and Warren are on top of it, and I wish them all the wishdom to solve the problem.

Last edited:
I started noticing weird things a day ago.The 'First-post preview' wouldn't work and when I clicked on certain links, a download pop-up appeared asking me whether I wanted to download some .php file. Later, those pop-ups appeared even when I clicked on the PF bookmark in my browser. Things seem normal now, and I'm happy to see only 3 pages of unread posts. :biggrin:

Yes I also experienced some issues yesterday.

But today things seem to be settled down and back to normal. I wonder what happened. I could access all the individual forums by using history or using google site searches, but the main page would never come up. Very odd indeed.

GD was the only thing able to be viewed for me too---the page would 'lock' when trying to view other sub-forums and I couldn't 'log on'---

Greg should have a special email account that would sound off like a weather alert from NOAA when there's a problem.

I haven't been able to connect to the site for about a day and half. Today seems back to normal.

YesterPF = zero connectivity
NowPF = just fine

For me at least. Maybe yesterday the UFO's were actively destroying our attempts to deny their existence. Uh oh...I've read too many PF posts today by the editors of grocery store tabloids... it must be contagious - "it" being insanity. And here I thought insanity was hereditary - you get it from your kids.

I couldn't get in even through history or google.

yay! working again!

take that, aliens!

I couldn't access PF yesterday, either.

That always leaves me a little unsettled. What happens if Greg dies? Do we all just vanish into nonexistance or is there life after PF?

BobG said:

That always leaves me a little unsettled. What happens if Greg dies? Do we all just vanish into nonexistance or is there life after PF?
Don't even say it!

I wondered if it was botnets

(alien botnets, maybe)

BobG said:
What happens if Greg dies? Do we all just vanish into nonexistance

Yes, it is time that the truth is known: We are nothing but a virtual manifestation of Greg's consciousness.

We all need to be REALLY NICE to Greg. If he tires of us, he could sell us off. :cry:

mentors bring the highest money (esp. the female ones!)

----------

(price= rarity, demand, and condition)

Last edited:
BobG said:

We asked him that at the last PF gathering he came to. He's thought about that too.

rewebster said:
mentors bring the highest money (esp. the female ones!)

----------

(price= rarity, demand, and condition)

Well, you might get top dollar for MIH and me, but Evo's a bit dinged up.

Moonbear said:

she's a 'fixer upper':smile:

I had zero PF connectivity yesterday; it was back to normal this AM.

Moonbear said:
:cry:

rewebster said:
she's a 'fixer upper':smile:
I can be fixed. <sniff>

Evo said:
I can be fixed. <sniff>
:rofl: That's the spirit!

There, now...

Evo said:
I can be fixed. <sniff>

A little spackle on that elbow and you'll be priceless once again

Evo said:
:cry:

I can be fixed. <sniff>
I am very touched by your emotional, human side, Evo.

My vote is yours. :smile:

EnumaElish said:
I am very touched by your emotional, human side, Evo.

My vote is yours. :smile:
Hey, it worked for Hillary. :approve:

Evo said:
Hey, it worked for Hillary. :approve:

When's your due date?

(to fix the 'near' humerus problem)

1. Why can't I connect to PF?

There could be several reasons why you are having trouble connecting to PF. It could be due to a temporary server issue, a problem with your internet connection, or an error on your end. It is best to troubleshoot by checking your internet connection and restarting your device before contacting PF support.

2. Is PF down?

It is possible that PF may be experiencing technical difficulties, resulting in users not being able to connect. You can check the PF social media accounts or their website for any announcements or updates on the issue. If there are no updates, it is likely a problem on your end.

3. How can I fix the connection issue?

First, try restarting your device and checking your internet connection. If that does not work, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If the problem persists, you can contact PF support for further assistance.

4. Can I use a different browser to connect to PF?

Yes, you can try using a different browser to see if that resolves the connection issue. It is also recommended to use the latest version of the browser for optimal performance.

5. Is there a limit to the number of devices that can connect to PF?

PF does not have a limit on the number of devices that can connect to their platform. However, if you are experiencing connection issues, it is best to only have one device connected at a time to avoid any potential conflicts.