TED Talks: A Platform for Informative and Inspiring Discussions

• Thread starter Ironmanlet
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the speakers' love for TED talks and their favorite talks from the series. They enjoy the talks because they have a lot of information in a short time and prefer the more informative ones. They mention specific talks that have made them emotional or have stuck with them, and also mention that there are some talks that they do not enjoy as much. They also mention the availability of TED talks on different platforms.
Ironmanlet
I like then because they have so much information packed into a short time frame. Most of them are under 20 minutes. Some of them I really do not enjoy, but those are usually more political. I like the more informative ones.So here is a TED talk of Stephen Hawking in parabolic flight. One of my favorites. I cried the first time I watched it.

(let's see if I can figure out how to embed real quick)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Ironmanlet said:
I like then because they have so much information packed into a short time frame. Most of them are under 20 minutes. Some of them I really do not enjoy, but those are usually more political. I like the more informative ones.So here is a TED talk of Stephen Hawking in parabolic flight. One of my favorites. I cried the first time I watched it.

(let's see if I can figure out how to embed real quick)

I enjoy them.
Yours is a very good one!

My favorite was the one by Jill Bolte Taylor: "My Stroke of Insight".

It's an amazing series and I usually get hooked quickly and watch a few. Love that they have a channel on Roku.

I am not familiar with Roku.

Jill Taylor was very well articulated in that one. I have watched it many times.

I love the one where they discuss Cassini-Huygens Saturn program. I cried watching that one as well.

I love Ted talks too !

They are more hit and miss these days. They always seem amazing, but there is some snake oil as well.

'My favorite was the one by Jill Bolte Taylor: "My Stroke of Insight".'

I'll second that. Usually I get bored quickly though and go listen to music.

1. What are TED Talks?

TED Talks are short, powerful talks given by experts in various fields such as science, technology, business, and culture. They are designed to spread ideas and inspire people in a concise and engaging format.

2. How long are TED Talks?

TED Talks are typically around 18 minutes long, although some can be as short as 5 minutes or as long as 20 minutes. The length is carefully curated to keep the talks focused and impactful.

3. Are TED Talks only about technology and science?

No, TED Talks cover a wide range of topics and disciplines. While science and technology are common themes, there are also talks on art, social issues, and personal experiences. The goal of TED Talks is to share ideas that are worth spreading, regardless of the subject.

4. Can anyone give a TED Talk?

TED Talks are carefully curated and speakers are selected through an application and audition process. While anyone can apply to give a TED Talk, the selection process is competitive and speakers are chosen based on their expertise, unique ideas, and ability to deliver a captivating talk.

5. Are TED Talks only available in English?

No, TED Talks are available in over 100 languages through subtitles and translations. TED also has a program called TED Translators where volunteers translate talks into different languages to make them accessible to a global audience.