1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone else not really enjoy undergrad but enjoy engineering as a profession?

1. Jun 6, 2005 #1
    Gday,

Im a 2nd yr mech eng student. Im just wondering if how I feel is common amongst ugrads.

I find a lot of the subjects boring. For example solid mechanics. I know its important and everything, but I find working out flexure etc to be really boring. I love to have an understanding of how things work, but still, a lot of my subjects bore me.

Is this normal?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

No. Completely abnormal. You should have your head examined.

Just kidding. It's understandable. You're going through the basics and no matter what, until you really see a few good applications of what you are learning, it can get very tedious. Consider it one of those things you have to endure before you get to the fun stuff. It should pick up for you in your junior year. That's when most people start the real core engineering classes that you'll spend the most of your time in later down the road.

4. Jun 7, 2005 #3
    Thanks Fred, thats what I was hoping would happen. Just seems like a long way off at the moment.

5. Jun 8, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It will seem like a long way off until one day you'll look back and wonder where the time went. I remember looking at the long list of classes I had to take to graduate and thinking that I would never get out. Good luck and try to enjoy yourself.

6. Jun 10, 2005 #5
    I get like this all the time during exam period. Hopefully the feeling will subside as I walk out of the last exam.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?