Ankle Breaks: Recovery, Prevention, and Types of Fractures

• Thread starter Greg Freeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break
In summary: I didn't even know it until I looked down.In summary, an expert broke their fibula/tibia while dancing, due to their high pain tolerance. They were told by others that they had an unusually high pain tolerance and that they should take this into account when trying to prevent future breaks. They are currently on crutches and may need a hard cast when they are healed. They also advised that people take working out more seriously in order to prevent future injuries.
Greg Freeman
So I managed to break my fibula/tibia at the end near my ankle. I managed to do it, while, of all things, dancing. I was just doing my normal thing, doing a turn, I think I hopped just a little bit, heard a SNAP, then I was on the ground immediately. I heard someone freak out (I felt no pain or pressure/torque on my leg at all) and I expected to see bone shooting through my skin or something. Nope, when I looked down, my foot was twisted 90 degrees from the normal, straight position.

My ankle was also bothering me a slight amount, just a little discomfort, for about a week before hand. I've been told by people who witnessed what happened along with paramedics and doctors that I have an unusually high pain tolerance because I never shed a tear or screamed or lost my sense of humor. (There were people that freaked out a lot worse than I did, but I think my joke making at the absurdity of the situation calmed them down a bit) I think I might have had a small fracture in my ankle and I didn't know it, making the final break that much easier.

So now I'm stuck on crutches for about 6 weeks until I get a hard cast, then I don't know how much longer before I can walk normally again. They told me I should have most of the use of my joint back (with the plate and screws I have in my lower leg), but that I'll most likely develop arthritis in that joint.

Anyone else go through something similar? How long did it take to recover? Can you still do the same things you used to do? I'd like to be able to dance again. :-)

On another note, I think I'll take working out more seriously, so that I can strengthen my bones to prevent this or some other break from happening again.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Having a bad break when you're 18 is quite different from when you're 48.

My mother has a very bad sprain when she was about 45. The doc said it would have been better, at her age, to break the bone. They heal better than tendons and ligaments, especially in older people.

Now she's in her 70s and yes, she does have bad arthritis in that joint.

I broke my upper arm (humerus) up by the shoulder joint on 6/10/07 and it is all better now. (I even forget which arm it was; at times now)
When I did it (I flipped my ATV) I did not even know it was broke until I tried to flip the ATV back upright and my arm felt funny (kind of spongy).
I did not have to have a cast and the bone went right back into place and healed up with no problems. I thought that was my first broken bone but when the doc looked the X-rays he said that I had broken my collar bone at some point in my life and it healed a little crooked, but I don't recall any injury to my collar bone.

When I was in the Army, I tore quite a few ligaments (or tendons, I can't remember) in my left ankle. I was in a cast for two months. Luckily after the first two weeks, I got to go back and get a walking cast which made things a bit more bearable. Still, two months of a cast pretty much stunk. IIRC, it took me another month after getting the cast off to really feel like I was back to normal and took chances with doing things like harder running workouts.

Greg Freeman said:
So I managed to break my fibula/tibia at the end near my ankle. I managed to do it, while, of all things, dancing. I was just doing my normal thing, doing a turn, I think I hopped just a little bit, heard a SNAP, then I was on the ground immediately. I heard someone freak out (I felt no pain or pressure/torque on my leg at all) and I expected to see bone shooting through my skin or something. Nope, when I looked down, my foot was twisted 90 degrees from the normal, straight position.
A colleague of mine did something similar during a sparring exercise in Kempo. The opponent fell on his foot and pinned it while he was rotating and the tibia or fibula sheared just above the ankle. I need to find the pictures.

I once hyperextended my left foot after falling on it while doing a spinning hook kick. When I brought my left foot down, I landed it sideways, lost balance and basically sat down on top of it and it flexed backward way further than it was designed to. It swelled up and the top of my foot eventually turned various shades of yellow while the sides and toes turned various shades of purple. I didn't break any bones though - just wrenched a lot of ligaments and bruised a lot of tissue.

had some injuries too, when I started playing tennis even I never exercise for along time, my advice is stretch those legs first and maybe a warmup exercise when doing something like that.

lisab: I'm almost 24 right now, so yeah, it's not too serious of an injury.

It's hard to imagine I'll be cast up for a another couple months and then I'll have to rehabilitate. I just hope it doesn't mess me up on job interviews.

FredGarvin, ouch, I know someone who did something very similar to that recently. At least they can bear weight on it though. I've been told that's a big no-no for my situation.

Astronuc, I'd love to see the pictures, if you have them. I'll try to hunt down the pictures of my foot twisted in the wrong direction.

Greg Freeman said:
My ankle was also bothering me a slight amount, just a little discomfort, for about a week before hand. ...
I think I might have had a small fracture in my ankle and I didn't know it, making the final break that much easier.

Sounds like a good possibility. It would be pretty unusual to break a leg with just normal dancing, but if you had done something earlier in the week, or were developing some stress fractures from some other activity, then it would make more sense to break it with just jumping around. But, OUCH!

Too bad you're so young. I thought maybe we'd finally found a match for Evo. She still has good legs, but needs someone with good arms left. :biggrin:

Oh no, i just stepped into general discussion and already I've entered the dating auction! haha, just kidding.

24 too young? Evo's not that old, is she? ;-)

Greg Freeman said:

That should earn you a few GOOBF* cards from Evo.

*GOOBF: Get Out Of Banning Free

Greg Freeman said:
Oh no, i just stepped into general discussion and already I've entered the dating auction! haha, just kidding.

Well, she's got at least one daughter older than you, but I've tried to get her doweried-up so you'll be interested. (Hint: It involves an nice restored Evinrude Lightwin 3 outboard, a Grumman sport canoe, and some other goodies. I can teach her to tie dry flies and skin a deer, but the internships will cost her extra.)

Moonbear said:
That should earn you a few GOOBF* cards from Evo.

*GOOBF: Get Out Of Banning Free
<Sticks 5 GOOBF cards and 2 salmon fillets into Greg's computer.> :approve:

I'm older than dirt, and as Moonbear put it "dinged up".

I broke my ankle when I was 10. I scored my first soccer goal and right after the next kick off some dude on the other team cranked me in the ankle. Took me a few months to get back on my feet. I play three times a week now, but I was young and healed quickly.

Greg, do you have any hardware in your ankle?

And you other guys are starting to make my girlfriend nervous. :-)

I wish I had broken my ankle in HS. Instead, I suffered a severe sprain on my right ankle after the the last gate going full-out in a regional Giant Slalom competition. I told my coach that I wouldn't be able to show up for the cross-country competition the next day, and he accused me of malingering because he had cut me from the Slalom competition in favor of some kids from prominent families that couldn't match my consistency or times. Since I was the fastest cross-country skier, he threatened to cut me from the team for this "offense". Incredibly, he refused to apologize even after I showed up at school the next Monday on crutches with my ankle as big as my calf. What a jerk.

I still have a network of blue/purple vines there, and pain/sensitivity in that ankle when the weather changes. A good clean break would have been better.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Well, she's got at least one daughter older than you, but I've tried to get her doweried-up so you'll be interested. (Hint: It involves an nice restored Evinrude Lightwin 3 outboard, a Grumman sport canoe, and some other goodies. I can teach her to tie dry flies and skin a deer, but the internships will cost her extra.)
No my daughters are younger. :grumpy:

Greg Freeman said:
Greg, do you have any hardware in your ankle?

And you other guys are starting to make my girlfriend nervous. :-)
My friend had several pins placed temporarily in his angle, and they were removed after several months. Geez - I need to find those pics.

Evo said:
No my daughters are younger. :grumpy:
I didn't know that! Well maybe I can get you married off without skills at moose-skinning, but you're still going to have to learn to tie fishing flies, along with producing the boat and motor. You can always learn moose-skinning and butchering as you go along, if I can place you with a tolerant mate.

turbo-1 said:
I didn't know that! Well maybe I can get you married off without skills at moose-skinning, but you're still going to have to learn to tie fishing flies, along with producing the boat and motor. You can always learn moose-skinning and butchering as you go along, if I can place you with a tolerant mate.
I hope so!

Yeah, I broke an ankle while dancing too. But fortunately it wasn't my own. My wife forgives me though. Ever since we met, she's swept me off her feet.

Last edited:
Whoa, how did you break her ankle?One time I was out of town dancing and I grabbed one of friends that had come along with the group for the trip. I was stringing her behind me, trying to find an open spot on the dance floor. When we arrived, I heard her say that she had bumped into someone. I must've led her right past someone at the end of a swingout, and I looked over to see that poor woman starting to cry. I froze and couldn't dance for an hour, which was how long it took that woman to leave and then come back. I've never apologized so many times for accidentally bumping someone before. She had jarred her shoulder a little on my partner.

Greg Freeman said:
Whoa, how did you break her ankle?
By pulling her leg.

http://photos-416.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v173/61/33/2037416/n2037416_45003148_2439.jpg [Broken]

There's the hardware. But it's okay because I've been listening to this a lot:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw

Last edited by a moderator:
Woo, woo! You're going to be strip-searched every single time you try to fly. Hope they don't use the anal probe.:eek:

Hahaha, actually, I flew just a couple of days after surgery. They just swabbed my cast and I patted me down. Too bad it was a husky TSA type and not a leggy stewardess, though.

i fractured my ankle playing basketball. i jumped and was nudged in the air and fell on the outside my of foot, as in the sole of my shoe was facing my other foot instead of the ground. i had some tendon/ligament damage and the bone that makes the bump of the outside of the angle was cracked but there were no free fragments.

it felt like an extra bad sprain for a while, to the point i preferred to hop around on my good foot instead of walking/limping. because of the amount of swelling it was fairly apparent that x-rays were called for. i forget if i got a cast that night at the hospital or if they just took the x-rays in the afternoon and i got the cast in the morning.

for me the most annoying part of recovery was adopting a limp in my walking after the cast came off that took quite a while to over come. it wasn't a big problem or anything, but usually after walking for a while my right leg would get tired before my left one.

I'm really mad now. Went for a checkup and I have to have another surgery.

I went to a second doctor and he said that the way I was screwed together should have been done differently, and a separate, longer screw should have been placed through both the tibia and fibula to keep them aligned. My joint has shifted a bit because it wasn't properly held together.

I can't believe in this day and age that something like this can't be done right the first time, when it costs 10's of thousands of dollars, makes me sick.

That's terrible, but not surprising. I'm going to have to get my arm re-broken and reset because the orthopedic surgeon I went to when I broke my elbow guessed wrong.

I'm just hoping that the next few procedures on me will avoid having to get Harrington rods.

rewebster said:
I'm just hoping that the next few procedures on me will avoid having to get Harrington rods.

I had to google that to know what it was, ouch, yeah I hope you don't have to go through that!

Greg Freeman said:
I had to google that to know what it was, ouch, yeah I hope you don't have to go through that!

go through that?-----actually, I've been asking them to do it

rewebster said:
go through that?-----actually, I've been asking them to do it

Well then, in that case, best of wishes. Anything related to the back does not sound like fun.

Greg Freeman said:
I'm really mad now. Went for a checkup and I have to have another surgery.

I went to a second doctor and he said that the way I was screwed together should have been done differently, and a separate, longer screw should have been placed through both the tibia and fibula to keep them aligned. My joint has shifted a bit because it wasn't properly held together.

I can't believe in this day and age that something like this can't be done right the first time, when it costs 10's of thousands of dollars, makes me sick.

Evo said:
That's terrible, but not surprising. I'm going to have to get my arm re-broken and reset because the orthopedic surgeon I went to when I broke my elbow guessed wrong.

Sorry to hear that for both of you. :frown:

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! So sorry to hear that. I broke my elbow just a few days before Christmas '07. The worst part was watching my wife do all the Christmas work alone. My break was minor... never even had a cast but I still don't have full mobility and it still hurts every day. Nothing like what I imagine you both are going through though.
Very impressive X-ray, Greg. You should put that image on a card and present it to TSA if you are stopped after the cast comes off.

chemisttree said:
Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! So sorry to hear that. I broke my elbow just a few days before Christmas '07. The worst part was watching my wife do all the Christmas work alone. My break was minor... never even had a cast but I still don't have full mobility and it still hurts every day. Nothing like what I imagine you both are going through though.
Very impressive X-ray, Greg. You should put that image on a card and present it to TSA if you are stopped after the cast comes off.
Be careful, I was told a cast was optional and it healed crooked without a cast and the muscles look and feel pulled and it's causing quite a bit of pain, more than when I first broke it.

<h2>1. What is an ankle break?</h2><p>An ankle break, also known as an ankle fracture, is a break or crack in one or more of the bones that make up the ankle joint. This can include the tibia, fibula, and talus bones.</p><h2>2. How long does it take to recover from an ankle break?</h2><p>The recovery time for an ankle break can vary depending on the severity of the fracture and the individual's overall health. On average, it can take 6-8 weeks for a simple ankle break to heal, while more complex fractures can take up to 12 weeks or longer.</p><h2>3. What can I do to prevent an ankle break?</h2><p>To prevent an ankle break, it is important to maintain strong and flexible ankle muscles through regular exercise and stretching. Wearing proper footwear and avoiding activities that put excessive strain on the ankles can also help reduce the risk of a fracture.</p><h2>4. What are the different types of ankle fractures?</h2><p>There are several types of ankle fractures, including lateral malleolus fractures, medial malleolus fractures, bimalleolar fractures, and trimalleolar fractures. These fractures can vary in severity and may require different treatment approaches.</p><h2>5. How is an ankle break treated?</h2><p>The treatment for an ankle break depends on the type and severity of the fracture. In most cases, treatment involves immobilizing the ankle with a cast or brace and allowing it to heal naturally. In more severe cases, surgery may be necessary to realign the bones and stabilize the ankle.</p>

1. What is an ankle break?

An ankle break, also known as an ankle fracture, is a break or crack in one or more of the bones that make up the ankle joint. This can include the tibia, fibula, and talus bones.

2. How long does it take to recover from an ankle break?

The recovery time for an ankle break can vary depending on the severity of the fracture and the individual's overall health. On average, it can take 6-8 weeks for a simple ankle break to heal, while more complex fractures can take up to 12 weeks or longer.

3. What can I do to prevent an ankle break?

To prevent an ankle break, it is important to maintain strong and flexible ankle muscles through regular exercise and stretching. Wearing proper footwear and avoiding activities that put excessive strain on the ankles can also help reduce the risk of a fracture.

4. What are the different types of ankle fractures?

There are several types of ankle fractures, including lateral malleolus fractures, medial malleolus fractures, bimalleolar fractures, and trimalleolar fractures. These fractures can vary in severity and may require different treatment approaches.

5. How is an ankle break treated?

The treatment for an ankle break depends on the type and severity of the fracture. In most cases, treatment involves immobilizing the ankle with a cast or brace and allowing it to heal naturally. In more severe cases, surgery may be necessary to realign the bones and stabilize the ankle.