Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone familiar Napoleonic Wars?

1. Feb 21, 2007 #1
    I may be on the wrong section, but I'll give it a try nonetheless. I have to make an exhaustive research of the battle of Waterloo. The goal is to choose a specific question on the subject and try to answer it through thorough analysis. Now, I have familiarized myself with the battle but I still have to find such a question. Any suggestion?
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2007 #2
    you must analize your own question?
  4. Feb 21, 2007 #3
    Well, yeah, basically that's it. You have to base your analysis on a central question, which you will have formulated yourself.
  5. Feb 28, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Should Nappy have restrained Ney's use of his calvary?

Should Nappy have started the battle earlier?

Could Grouchy have been more aggressive in his pursuit of the Prussians?
  6. Feb 28, 2007 #5
    I read that as getting a general understanding of the whole battle and then pick a pivotal point be it an action a deployment or even a political stance that was taken before the conflict. Then look at all the arguments for and against the decision that was made and hypothesis if it was the correct decision given the circumstances as opposed to hindsight.
    The battle of Waterloo was big, complex and based on lots of individuals operating autonomously, it is ideal for this sort of analysis and many people have looked at this sort of thing.
    See if you can find a text by Richard Holmes, this is the sort of stuff he does in order to show how modern battles can and should be fought.
  7. Feb 28, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Should Agnetha Fältskog be lynched?
  8. Feb 28, 2007 #7
    I agree, but the battle itself was winnable or at least not losable, if the correct action was taken, at least in theory.

The formation of the British decided the war or did it and how,ie the formation against cavalry, the late contribution by Prussian reinforcements was also important, I suggest you ask a question about Napoleon's decisions during the battle, and how this impacted on the outcome, these are the most decisive- how did the greatest general of his day get beaten, and what was the pivotal moment of his loss? This is possibly the best question. Prussian surprise attack on right flank? How could he have combated this, and if he couldn't what could he have done?
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?