Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone following the US Open?

1. Aug 31, 2006 #1

Staff: Mentor

I don't know if we have any tennis fans in here, but is anyone following the US Open? Agassi just finished an epic match with Marco Baghdatis. Toward the end of the 5th set, Baghdatis was looking like the better player, but collapsed with a quad cramp. He had already used his injury time, so he couldn't be treated for it and he limped through the rest of the match, keeping it impossibly close until Agassi won 7-5. And this after an almost equally epic match 2 days ago.

I don't know how much longer Agassi can keep this up (he isn't quite as sharp as he needs to be to win), but it is spectacular to watch.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2006 #2
    Baghdatis was playing well for being injured. It was a great match.
  4. Sep 1, 2006 #3
    yep, just saw it. Agassi will reach the 4th round i guess and then lose to Roddick ?

5. Sep 1, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Agassi is also playing with a bad back, save for a cortisone shot a day earlier.

Yup, the game is an instant classic, as good as when Pete Sampras was cramping (and throwing up) on court against Alex Croetia <sp> several years ago.

6. Sep 1, 2006 #5
    Andre never gives up ;)
  7. Sep 1, 2006 #6
    I think you meant to say Alex Corretja, the Spanish player who lost the 1998 French Open final to Carlos Moya

8. Sep 1, 2006 #7

Homework Helper

Someone in Andre's camp is spiking the drinks of the other players. The first one gets stoumach cramps and diarreah, and the second one gets leg cramps. It's a conspiracy.
  9. Sep 1, 2006 #8

Belgium wins again this year in the woman's competition...

See Ya

10. Sep 2, 2006 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow...is this a classic one or what? 3-3 in the tie-breaker.

Edit: Holy Cow!! He did it!
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  11. Sep 2, 2006 #10

Staff: Mentor

Um.... that IS a classic one (from last year, I think).... they are in a rain delay. Great match, though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?