Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone good at Maple?

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    Hello,

Any of you guys here know how to use Maple? I am trying to solve a differential equation using Maple but not sure how to do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2008 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I personally don't know how to use Maple, but I do know that a lot of other people here do. Basically just posting to be patient, there are people here who will answer your question soon. In the mean time, it may be useful to tell us exactly what differential equation you have?. I don't actually know, but there may be different instructions depending on variables, order of the equation, homogeneous or not, partial or ordinary etc etc.

4. Feb 7, 2008 #3
    You assign your equation to a variable and then call the function dsolve with the variable and the function you want to solve for as arguments. For example, to solve [itex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} + k^2y = 0[/itex], you would type:
    DE := diff(y(x),x,x) + k^2*y = 0
    dsolve(DE,y(x))

which would print [itex]y \left( x \right) ={\it \_C1}\,\sin \left( kx \right) +{\it \_C2}\,
    \cos \left( kx \right)
    [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?