Analyzing Graph's Key Features

• Thread starter noneedtocare
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem where the speaker is asked to comment on the key features of a graph. The graph is either dV/dh = -(A^2)/ 4pih^2 or V=(92pi-x)^2sqrt(4pix -x^2) )/ (24pi^2). The speaker is unsure of how to approach the problem and is asking for help understanding the key features and how to graph the function. They have asked their teacher for clarification but have not received a response.
noneedtocare
It is just how can you comment on the key features of the graph ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you are given a map f(x) and need to comment on its graph?

Surely there is an example in your textbook of such commenting. Usually one points out at which points there are local and global minima and local and global maxima, where there are saddle points, where there are inflexions points. Also relevant may be to indicate the global behavior of the map: is it bounded above? below? Is there asymptotic behavior?

sorry as i give less info of my graph.

I was given a graph of V'(x) and is asked to comment on the graph.

The graph has an x - int as 1.55, part of a graph on LHS of this point is above the x-axis and RHS is below until it reaches 2pi (also an x- int)

Thx for ur help

Btw, i am doing an analysis task and there is a ques abt practical problem in creating an open cylinder with max volume. How do answer this ?

The Volume increases as the height increase. dV/dh = -(A^2)/ 4pih^2

noneedtocare said:
Btw, i am doing an analysis task and there is a ques abt practical problem in creating an open cylinder with max volume. How do answer this ?

The Volume increases as the height increase. dV/dh = -(A^2)/ 4pih^2

No it doesn't. According to the equation you show, the volume decreases as height increases. Assuming that A and h are positive (a reasonable assumption), dV/dh is always negative. You haven't given us the problem explanation, but I'm guessing that the cylinder is made from a fixed amount of material, so increasing the height causes the area of the base to get smaller, causing the volume to get smaller.

Have you graphed dV/dh versus h? What questions are you supposed to answer?

Idk how to graph the ques
sorry ty 4 ur help

Do you know how to graph y = -1/x2? The function in your problem looks a lot like this.

Also, what are you asked to do in this problem? Please try to answer in complete words, not textspeak.

We have an equation : V=(92pi-x)^2sqrt(4pix -x^2) )/ (24pi^2)
Sketch the graph of dV/dh and give comment on the key features of this graph

Sorry for giving unclear info ! Thx 4 ur time LOL

noneedtocare said:
We have an equation : V=(92pi-x)^2sqrt(4pix -x^2) )/ (24pi^2)
Sketch the graph of dV/dh and give comment on the key features of this graph

Sorry for giving unclear info ! Thx 4 ur time LOL

The equation you just gave has V as a function of x, not h, so it doesn't make any sense to talk about dV/dh unless there is some relationship between x and h.

Are you supposed to graph dV/dx and talk about its key features?

What key features are you supposed to comment on?

my bad , sorry i was in hurry ! You were rite ! It is dV/dx

it just say sketch the graph and comment on key feature

So the problem statement is this:
For this function,
[tex]V = \frac{(92\pi - x)^2 \sqrt{4\pi - x^2}}{24\pi^2}[/tex]
  1. Calculate dV/dx.
  2. Comment on key features of the graph of dV/dx.
Do you know any rules of differentiation? The ones that would be very useful here are the constant multiple rule, product rule, chain rule, in that order. That's a hint.

Have you asked your teacher for clarification on what is meant by "key features?"

LOL, he won't tell as this is an analysis task ! I did ask him but he didnt answer. He kinda mean !

Ty , Mark !

It would be helpful if you answered each question I ask.
Do you know any rules of differentiation? The ones that would be very useful here are the constant multiple rule, product rule, chain rule, in that order. After you have found the derivative dV/dx, then you can graph it. When you have the graph, you can decide what you think are key features of it.
If you did, we might be a little further along in this problem. With 14 posts in this thread, I can't see that you have actually done anything.

Speaking of the problem, it seems to have shifted around somewhat in this thread. You first described it this way in post 4:
dV/dh = -(A^2)/ 4pih^2

Then it turned into this in post 8:
V=(92pi-x)^2sqrt(4pix -x^2) )/ (24pi^2)

Are you asking about two different problems?

What is the purpose of analyzing a graph's key features?

The purpose of analyzing a graph's key features is to gain a better understanding of the data presented and to identify any important patterns or trends.

What are some common key features to look for when analyzing a graph?

Some common key features to look for when analyzing a graph include the shape of the graph, any peaks or valleys, the slope of the graph, and any outliers or unusual data points.

Why is it important to identify the key features of a graph?

Identifying the key features of a graph is important because it allows us to summarize and interpret the data in a meaningful way. It also helps us to make predictions and draw conclusions based on the data.

What techniques can be used to analyze a graph's key features?

Some techniques that can be used to analyze a graph's key features include visually examining the graph, calculating measures of central tendency and variability, and using regression analysis or other statistical methods.

How can analyzing a graph's key features be useful in scientific research?

Analyzing a graph's key features can be useful in scientific research as it allows us to visualize and understand complex data sets, identify relationships between variables, and make informed decisions based on the data presented.