Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone here ever visited eharmony?

1. Apr 30, 2009 #1

Danger

Gold Member

Anyone here ever visited eharmony?
    W and I have split the sheets. Well, not exactly. We're no longer a couple, although we still share a home and a bed. She's moving 560 km away in August to live closer to her kids and the grand-brats. That's a permanent situation. Rather than scoping the local bars for a new partner (which I will now be doing), I decided to take a shot at the eharmony free 'check out your matches' offer. At the end, they brought up the terms of usage that you have to agree to. The second one was to attest that you have no criminal record. I do have a bloody criminal record, as most of you know. It would have been nice if they'd brought that up before I wasted an hour filling out their damned questionnaire. :mad:
    I wish that SOS was still around and wanting to move up here.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: Matchmakers

Try to post something like "I am looking for a woman" in GD on PF. Even if you will not find anyone, you will at least get a good advice from Cyrus :wink:

Do you mean that having criminal record means you can't use their services? Sounds like discrimination to me.

4. Apr 30, 2009 #3

Danger

Gold Member

They seem to have an illogical attitude toward that. The declaration is that you have no criminal record and are not a registered sex-offender—no differentiation between those two. My record is for carrying a .45 in my day-to-day life, which one idiot took exception to. The cops, and the judge in my trial, all knew that I carried, and they knew that I was on their side if it came down to it, but once a complaint was put in they had no choice but to arrest me. It cost me a couple of thousand dollars and the destruction of my guns.
    I don't know how it is where you live; in Canada, being in possession of a restricted weapon (which includes all non-prohibited handguns) is strictly illegal aside from being in a gun-safe at home or at a shooting range (or locked up during transport between the two).

5. Apr 30, 2009 #4

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Did the quiz go something like this?

iMatch dimensional match (check any/all that apply, answer all questions)

1) I'm a: Male ( ) Female ( ) Other (please specify) ( ) __________

99) I have a criminal record: Yes ( ) No ( )

100) I am a liar: Yes ( ) No ( )
    100a) Degree of lying: Boy scout ( ) When it suits my purposes ( ) Habitual ( ) Pathological ( )

101) Two guardians, one who always tells the truth, and one who never tells the truth...

6. Apr 30, 2009 #5

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl::rofl:
    That would have save me a lot of typing. :biggrin:

7. Apr 30, 2009 #6

I have a criminal record....Crazy Horses by the Osmonds.

8. Apr 30, 2009 #7

You could try other websites. Lots of people look for dates on myspace.

I don't know what having a criminal record has to do with anything. Just about anyone could have a criminal record. You could have one for jaywalking.

9. Apr 30, 2009 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just lie. They can't do anything about it. They won't do a background check.

The only thing that can really happen is that they revoke your membership. Who cares.

10. Apr 30, 2009 #9

Please stay away from eharmony. They're absurdly expensive, and they don't allow you to browse member profiles.

There are some good free sites. OKCupid.com is my favorite, but it is geared towards the 20-30 year old crowd. Since I don't know your age, I figured I'd put that there. In any case, there are plenty of sites out there than won't charge you a body part to contact a potential match.

11. Apr 30, 2009 #10

The problem would be if he meets someone from there, and then they find out about his record and make a complaint. Then he's in trouble for fraud.

12. Apr 30, 2009 #11

He'd lose his account. For fraud you'd have to prove damages. I could go around calling myself a doctor all day long and so long as I don't try to take money based on my "being a doctor" or try to do any doctorly activities no one can sue me for fraud.

Of course the real concern is just what sort of knitting circle jesus freak teetotalers are you going to find on the site.

13. Apr 30, 2009 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Naw... I can't do that. I can't even lie to you guys (aside from obvious jokes), so I sure can't to someone that I want to spend my life with.

That's about what I'm looking for (I'm 53).

:eek:
    The diametrical opposite of that would be what I want. My dream girl, were she not fictional, would be Pauley Perrette's character of Abby on NCIS. Brains and Goth... gotta love it. (Okay, Pauley is 40, but I'm pretty sure that Abby is supposed to be a lot younger.)

14. Apr 30, 2009 #13

Just start making pen pals at the nearest women's correctional facility.

15. Apr 30, 2009 #14

If you are not already interested in ballroom dancing, definitely become interested. Also keep in mind that while it may not be fair, at our age, single women outnumber single men. Especially at dances.

16. Apr 30, 2009 #15

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, and the only punishment is really just ban you from membership. Who cares.

17. Apr 30, 2009 #16

I know someone who just got married to a gal he met on American Singles...he said it took a while and he met some "real characters".

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  18. Apr 30, 2009 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I find it funny how most couples they show on commercials get married in less than a year.

19. Apr 30, 2009 #18

And what kind of girl are you looking for to mach your most excellent self there sir?

Seems there are several fine young men on this forum that are available now.
    Perhaps someone should let an all woman's forum know about this.
    This could be good science. A few good collisions in this PF bubble chamber.

20. Apr 30, 2009 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Actually, I had you in mind until you mentioned your husband in that PM. :redface:

21. Apr 30, 2009 #20

turbo

Gold Member

I know a nice young lady in Kansas that just turned <cough> 21. She has psychotic pets and is accident-prone. Any interest? I might be able to come up with a boat and motor if you need a dowry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook