Anyone here ever visited eharmony?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
Danger
Gold Member

It seems all I've ever found on the dating sites are total nutcases.
As opposed to what you've found in GD...? :uhh:

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member

GD meaning???? General Discussion here at PF? I have no expectations from this site. LOL I don't take anything too seriously concerning my social life from ANY web-site. Everyday life face to face interaction is a different story. In fact, I sometimes wonder if we would be better off without the internet and technology when it comes to our social lives. I'm not saying kill the internet or anything like that, but it just seems like some people don't know how to interact with other people without pushing buttons on a keyboard or mobile device.

...but it just seems like some people don't know how to interact with other people without pushing buttons on a keyboard or mobile device.
It's amazing and disappointing to me how the text or call always seems to take precedence over the actual, real life interaction right in front of people.

turbo
Gold Member

It's amazing and disappointing to me how the text or call always seems to take precedence over the actual, real life interaction right in front of people.
Too true. I have a cell phone, but always turn it off (not even vibration mode) when I'm visiting with family or friends. I wish others would do the same. I have a friend that looks at his phone maybe once an hour or so - not to check on calls, but because he stopped wearing a watch years ago when he started traveling regularly to India, Kashmir, Nepal, etc on business. His phone is his watch, now.

I wonder if they filter out alcoholics in their questionaire. And anyone who practices the really kinky things like human sacrifice after sex, of course.
Some of these sites decidedly somehow filter out people with depression. One of my friends was rejected (a rather depressed grad student finishing the dissertation stage after a brother's suicide)... as well as my husband (at one point before we hooked up). I think they at least had some disclosure about this to my friend. When my husband did it, he looked for matches "anywhere in the world" and was just told there were "no matches found" (like that helped ease the depression)! We find this later point funny now.

Hmmm... she called me on my cell while I was typing this (not knowing that I was in her place), nagging me to take a shave and change my clothes because she's going to take me in to see my mother tonight after work.
Okay, I'm going to slip out and spend my last few bucks on a 6-pack to prepare for it. Be back in a few minutes.
Hmmm... Danger wasn't back in a few minutes... makes me curious! Danger could make an episode of a daytime soap.... better than any crap I was submitted to as a kid when we had days off school and mom was doing laundry!

I met my now husband, in a chat room linked to a animal rescue group. We had a lot of things in common, and after several months of chatting we went on a date. Six months later we moved in together, and a year after that we got married. This July will be our 5th anniversary.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

I met my now husband, in a chat room linked to a animal rescue group. We had a lot of things in common, and after several months of chatting we went on a date. Six months later we moved in together, and a year after that we got married. This July will be our 5th anniversary.
I guess we need to get PF chat up and running again. :biggrin:

Or Greg could start a parallel dating site for PF type folks.

turbo
Gold Member

I guess we need to get PF chat up and running again. :biggrin:
That would be nice.

Or Greg could start a parallel dating site for PF type folks.
Yeah, Greg's "grab-a-geek" dating service. :approve:

Oy. The "Grab-a-Geek" suggestion makes me think of this ad I've seen a few times in Scientific American for "http://www.sciconnect.com/" [Broken]":
ratsw.gif

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award

Oy. The "Grab-a-Geek" suggestion makes me think of this ad I've seen a few times in Scientific American for "http://www.sciconnect.com/" [Broken]":
ratsw.gif
I knew someone who was a "regular" there - she was very happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger
Gold Member

I'm way under-qualified for that club, but I've got to say that they have one of the best logos I've ever seen.

This just keeps getting weirder. Night before last she made me sleep over at her place. She's now insisting that we aren't breaking up. Just because she's moving 500 km away doesn't mean that we aren't a couple any more. She plans to come back every couple of weeks to visit, and wants me to visit her up there as well. (She's actually going to leave the minivan here for me, since the El Camino would scare her neighbours. Even with it, though, that's $200 worth of gas every trip. The Camino would probably take $300.)
I'm going to go along with that, since I really don't want to lose her, but I'm still remaining in my house meanwhile to get it organized and get myself used to being alone most of the time. I can't see that it will be much different than if I were away working the rigs for a month at a time or she were a travelling sales rep.
It might not work out, but it's sure worth a shot.

turbo
Gold Member

This just keeps getting weirder. Night before last she made me sleep over at her place. She's now insisting that we aren't breaking up. Just because she's moving 500 km away doesn't mean that we aren't a couple any more. She plans to come back every couple of weeks to visit, and wants me to visit her up there as well. (She's actually going to leave the minivan here for me, since the El Camino would scare her neighbours. Even with it, though, that's $200 worth of gas every trip. The Camino would probably take $300.)
I'm going to go along with that, since I really don't want to lose her, but I'm still remaining in my house meanwhile to get it organized and get myself used to being alone most of the time. I can't see that it will be much different than if I were away working the rigs for a month at a time or she were a travelling sales rep.
It might not work out, but it's sure worth a shot.
Odd situation, but I have seen odder. An old friend of mine divorced and after a few years, she met a guy that she clicked with right away - they met on road-biking trips and they went on a B&B bicycling tour for their honeymoon. They never spent much time discussing their living arrangements, so she still lives in her house with her daughter and he lives in his house, going on at least 5 years or so now. My wife and I never got that separated, but there were many times when we were both working and my rotating shifts didn't line up at all with her day shifts, and other times later when I was gone for a month at a time doing consulting work for pulp and paper mills. When you're flying on your own dime you don't hop back and forth from Maine to the deep south on a whim. Just the travel-time, layovers, and delays would eat up almost the whole weekend anyway.

Good luck, Danger. Hope it all works out.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

This just keeps getting weirder.
Real life is better than fiction. Sometimes weirder, too! :biggrin: Anyway, it's more real. :rofl:

Night before last she made me sleep over at her place.
Er, um - she made you?! :uhh:

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

500km isn't that far compared to some relationships. I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work if you want to.

Danger
Gold Member

Er, um - she made you?! :uhh:
She begged and whined until I agreed. Seems that she doesn't like living alone either. Details are not for public display, but it paid off for me. :biggrin:

Distance might be good. Seeing and talking to your partner on a daily basis can often be what triggers the fights and fueds.

Danger
Gold Member

Seeing and talking to your partner on a daily basis can often be what triggers the fights and fueds.
We actually very seldom had fights, and never a feud. The only scraps were when she was really drunk. (I'm a constantly-drinking alcoholic; she's a binge drinker.) That was prevalent for the first year or so, then I got her onto antidepressants and it's been fine since. The reason for her move is that she wants to be with her kids and grandkids, back in her hometown. They and I share a mutual hatred, so there's no way that I'm going with her. (Her ***** daughter, after meeting me once for 5 minutes, avowed that I'm a 'child pediphile' [sic] with the mind of a 10-year-old. This from a 30-year-old woman who needs a recipe book to make toast, and demands that her mother drive for 12 hours using the aforemetioned $200 of gas to baby-sit for her, rather than shell out the $30 or so for a local sitter. :rolleyes:)

Interesting thread. Seems as if I'm not the only "disfunktional" human being on this planet...

Danger
Gold Member

:rofl: