Anyone here ever visited eharmony?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of using eharmony, a dating website, after a man's recent split from his partner. The man shares his experience with filling out a questionnaire and being asked to attest he has no criminal record, which he does. Other users suggest lying on the questionnaire or trying other dating websites. The conversation also touches on the age demographics and preferences for potential partners.
Danger
Gold Member
W and I have split the sheets. Well, not exactly. We're no longer a couple, although we still share a home and a bed. She's moving 560 km away in August to live closer to her kids and the grand-brats. That's a permanent situation. Rather than scoping the local bars for a new partner (which I will now be doing), I decided to take a shot at the eharmony free 'check out your matches' offer. At the end, they brought up the terms of usage that you have to agree to. The second one was to attest that you have no criminal record. I do have a bloody criminal record, as most of you know. It would have been nice if they'd brought that up before I wasted an hour filling out their damned questionnaire. :mad:
I wish that SOS was still around and wanting to move up here.

Physics news on Phys.org

Try to post something like "I am looking for a woman" in GD on PF. Even if you will not find anyone, you will at least get a good advice from Cyrus :wink:

Do you mean that having criminal record means you can't use their services? Sounds like discrimination to me.

Borek said:
Do you mean that having criminal record means you can't use their services? Sounds like discrimination to me.

They seem to have an illogical attitude toward that. The declaration is that you have no criminal record and are not a registered sex-offender—no differentiation between those two. My record is for carrying a .45 in my day-to-day life, which one idiot took exception to. The cops, and the judge in my trial, all knew that I carried, and they knew that I was on their side if it came down to it, but once a complaint was put in they had no choice but to arrest me. It cost me a couple of thousand dollars and the destruction of my guns.
I don't know how it is where you live; in Canada, being in possession of a restricted weapon (which includes all non-prohibited handguns) is strictly illegal aside from being in a gun-safe at home or at a shooting range (or locked up during transport between the two).

Did the quiz go something like this?

iMatch dimensional match (check any/all that apply, answer all questions)

1) I'm a: Male ( ) Female ( ) Other (please specify) ( ) __________

99) I have a criminal record: Yes ( ) No ( )

100) I am a liar: Yes ( ) No ( )
100a) Degree of lying: Boy scout ( ) When it suits my purposes ( ) Habitual ( ) Pathological ( )

101) Two guardians, one who always tells the truth, and one who never tells the truth...

:rofl::rofl:
That would have save me a lot of typing. :biggrin:

I have a criminal record...Crazy Horses by the Osmonds.

You could try other websites. Lots of people look for dates on myspace.

I don't know what having a criminal record has to do with anything. Just about anyone could have a criminal record. You could have one for jaywalking.

Just lie. They can't do anything about it. They won't do a background check.

The only thing that can really happen is that they revoke your membership. Who cares.

Please stay away from eharmony. They're absurdly expensive, and they don't allow you to browse member profiles.

There are some good free sites. OKCupid.com is my favorite, but it is geared towards the 20-30 year old crowd. Since I don't know your age, I figured I'd put that there. In any case, there are plenty of sites out there than won't charge you a body part to contact a potential match.

JasonRox said:
Just lie. They can't do anything about it. They won't do a background check.

The only thing that can really happen is that they revoke your membership. Who cares.

The problem would be if he meets someone from there, and then they find out about his record and make a complaint. Then he's in trouble for fraud.

NeoDevin said:
The problem would be if he meets someone from there, and then they find out about his record and make a complaint. Then he's in trouble for fraud.

He'd lose his account. For fraud you'd have to prove damages. I could go around calling myself a doctor all day long and so long as I don't try to take money based on my "being a doctor" or try to do any doctorly activities no one can sue me for fraud.

Of course the real concern is just what sort of knitting circle jesus freak teetotalers are you going to find on the site.

JasonRox said:
Just lie.

Naw... I can't do that. I can't even lie to you guys (aside from obvious jokes), so I sure can't to someone that I want to spend my life with.

Jack21222 said:
it is geared towards the 20-30 year old crowd
That's about what I'm looking for (I'm 53).

TheStatutoryApe said:
what sort of knitting circle jesus freak teetotalers are you going to find on the site.

:eek:
The diametrical opposite of that would be what I want. My dream girl, were she not fictional, would be Pauley Perrette's character of Abby on NCIS. Brains and Goth... got to love it. (Okay, Pauley is 40, but I'm pretty sure that Abby is supposed to be a lot younger.)

Just start making pen pals at the nearest women's correctional facility.

If you are not already interested in ballroom dancing, definitely become interested. Also keep in mind that while it may not be fair, at our age, single women outnumber single men. Especially at dances.

NeoDevin said:

Yeah, and the only punishment is really just ban you from membership. Who cares.

I know someone who just got married to a gal he met on American Singles...he said it took a while and he met some "real characters".

Last edited:

I find it funny how most couples they show on commercials get married in less than a year.

And what kind of girl are you looking for to mach your most excellent self there sir?

Seems there are several fine young men on this forum that are available now.
Perhaps someone should let an all woman's forum know about this.
This could be good science. A few good collisions in this PF bubble chamber.

Lacy33 said:
And what kind of girl are you looking for to mach your most excellent self there sir?

Actually, I had you in mind until you mentioned your husband in that PM. :redface:

I know a nice young lady in Kansas that just turned <cough> 21. She has psychotic pets and is accident-prone. Any interest? I might be able to come up with a boat and motor if you need a dowry.

I know a lovely lady who's looking for a man but you will have to take up line dancing.She's fairly nimble on her feet even though she is approaching her 100th birthday.

Danger said:
She's moving 560 km away in August to live closer to her kids and the grand-brats. That's a permanent situation.

You don't want to go along?

I have a friend who tried e-harmony about 7 years ago. He met his wife on there, and they are still married.

Dadface said:
she is approaching her 100th birthday.
From which direction?

Danger said:
W and I have split the sheets. Well, not exactly. We're no longer a couple, although we still share a home and a bed. She's moving 560 km away in August to live closer to her kids and the grand-brats. That's a permanent situation. Rather than scoping the local bars for a new partner (which I will now be doing), I decided to take a shot at the eharmony free 'check out your matches' offer. At the end, they brought up the terms of usage that you have to agree to. The second one was to attest that you have no criminal record. I do have a bloody criminal record, as most of you know. It would have been nice if they'd brought that up before I wasted an hour filling out their damned questionnaire. :mad:
I wish that SOS was still around and wanting to move up here.
Oh NO! I am so sorry to hear that Danger. :frown:

E-Harmony is a Christian dating service, I don't think it's your cup of tea. Although after some lawsuits, they don't push the fact that that was how it originated. If they didn't think you met their moral values, they would turn people down.

Go to OKCupid.

I think most people join OkCupid just because they're bored, not because they are looking for a date.

It's still a great free site for social networking if you're looking for someone. I have actually met some incredible scientists there. You would be surprised who is there. I know a lot of professors that are there, but hide their identity so their students don't recognize them.

Evo said:
E-Harmony is a Christian dating service, I don't think it's your cup of tea. Although after some lawsuits, they don't push the fact that that was how it originated. If they didn't think you met their moral values, they would turn people down.
I've been a member of eHarmony for several years, and had some success. In any case, though, I wouldn't have known it is "a christian dating service". There are members there from all religions and no religion and you tell them how important it is to you. I've dated catholics, protestants, jews and athiests from there.

Just because it was founded by a Christian, that doesn't automatically make it a "christian dating service". It isn't C-date.

Last edited:

Thanks for that clarification, Russ. Evo, you scared the living **** out of me with your post! The last thing in the world that I would want is to have a bunch of bloody Christians in possession of my personal information. The fact that is was founded by a Christian, though, is enough to keep me far away from it.
Anyhow, I need someone within 50 km or so of here.

Danger said:
Anyhow, I need someone within 50 km or so of here.
Personal notices could work, but the best tactic is to cozy up to women that you already know. Women have match-maker networks that you know nothing about. Years back, I had women hitting on me out of nowhere because some young ladies that I knew saw me playing music in public venues, and if my wife wasn't there, they predicted a split. Wrong! Just be vigilant. You don't want some "any port in a storm" relationship that will drain you for years later.

Danger said:
:eek:
The diametrical opposite of that would be what I want. My dream girl, were she not fictional, would be Pauley Perrette's character of Abby on NCIS. Brains and Goth... got to love it. (Okay, Pauley is 40, but I'm pretty sure that Abby is supposed to be a lot younger.)

I was joking... mostly. I just get the impression that is sort of the primary type of person in your age group that they attract.

I knew I had a pic of Pauley Perrette, and I was going to share, but I forgot that she isn't decent for PF in it. :-/

TheStatutoryApe said:
I knew I had a pic of Pauley Perrette, and I was going to share, but I forgot that she isn't decent for PF in it. :-/
I knew that your were kidding, Stats. No worries. Feel free to PM or email me the pix. Yeah, she has some nice ones out there. Weird thing, though, is that I prefer her as Abby rather than as herself. Same way as Jolene Blalock just doesn't look as good without short hair and pointed ears.

russ_watters said:
I've been a member of eHarmony for several years, and had some success. In any case, though, I wouldn't have known it is "a christian dating service". There are members there from all religions and no religion and you tell them how important it is to you. I've dated catholics, protestants, jews and athiests from there.

Just because it was founded by a Christian, that doesn't automatically make it a "christian dating service". It isn't C-date.
Their screening process was very strict in the beginning. I was scared off by the fact that even before I completed their *application* they sent my information off to members, and I had already decided this was not a place I wanted to be and didn't even finish. The questions they were asking were all going in a direction I didn't like. I was appalled that they had the gall to do such a thing and I let them know.

Of course people join that just see the advertisements, and I certainly am not judging the people that join.

I just know it's not a place for Danger.

Evo said:
Their screening process was very strict in the beginning. I was scared off by the fact that even before I completed their *application* they sent my information off to members, and I had already decided this was not a place I wanted to be and didn't even finish. The questions they were asking were all going in a direction I didn't like. I was appalled that they had the gall to do such a thing and I let them know.

Of course people join that just see the advertisements, and I certainly am not judging the people that join.

I did it not too long ago and I found the questions very Christan based for sure.

I don't think the lawsuits are well-deserved though. I don't support religion, but I do support providing a service to a particular group. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Evo said:

I don't know when you joined, but I joined longer ago than I like to admit - 4 years at least, and I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

russ_watters said:
I don't know when you joined, but I joined longer ago than I like to admit - 4 years at least, and I don't have a clue what you are talking about.
I was answering questions and they were getting creepy, so I decided not to hit the "I agree" button, I chose not to continue. The next thing I knew, I was being bombarded with e-mail's from members that had already been forwarded my incomplete and unauthorized profile. I posted on here about it, I was very upset. I did NOT agree to their terms and I did NOT agree to join, and I was violated by what they did. I contacted their office and told them they did NOT have my approval to send anything to anyone on their site and to cease and desist immediately. A number of people said that the same violations had been commited with their incompleted applications.

Some idiot employee apparently thought that if they sent the information around of someone that had NOT signed up and showed them that people were interested, that they could suck that person into joining. Except, I did not agree to release that information and that was illegal. I pointed that out to them.