Anyone here ever visited eharmony?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of using eharmony, a dating website, after a man's recent split from his partner. The man shares his experience with filling out a questionnaire and being asked to attest he has no criminal record, which he does. Other users suggest lying on the questionnaire or trying other dating websites. The conversation also touches on the age demographics and preferences for potential partners.

Well You're right, danger does not sleep. But we are Trying to plan a wedding here.
Do you mind keeping it light and not scare the whipped cream out of us.

Physics news on Phys.org

Lacy33 said:
Do you mind keeping it light and not scare the whipped cream out of us.

I was about to ask why you have whipped cream in you, but I'm enjoying the fantasy too much to ruin it.

Danger said:
I was about to ask why you have whipped cream in you, but I'm enjoying the fantasy too much to ruin it.

Just assuming I was once young I had milk in me and if you shake me up enough you are going to get whipped cream, snapper whipper!~

It starts to get kinky.

Borek said:
It starts to get kinky.

There may be lumps in a cake but no kinks.

Hey hey now...Do I need to go all motherly on you all :) The switch can come out soon, if you want it too!

mcknia07 said:
Hey hey now...Do I need to go all motherly on you all :) The switch can come out soon, if you want it too!

I think to bring it out now or not all the lumps are going to be in the cake. :}

mcknia07 said:

Please... :blushing:
By the bye, if you were my mother you couldn't wean me with a crowbar.

Jack21222 said:
There are some good free sites. OKCupid.com is my favorite, but it is geared towards the 20-30 year old crowd. Since I don't know your age, I figured I'd put that there.

Danger said:
That's about what I'm looking for (I'm 53).

I think a good rule of thumb is to only date people older than your kids. Mid-forties is a pretty hot age group. Of course, there is that little problem where you stop at a restaraunt after a day at the park and neither one of you has your glasses and you can't read the menus.

Danger, I'm sorry to hear that you and W are splitting. :frown:

I ran from eHarmony too. I actually did complete the whole profile for one of those free trial weeks, but stopped short of giving them a credit card number. I think they had my information out within seconds of completing the profile, because people were already sending me messages...but the dippy site doesn't let you reply to anyone when you're there on a free trial. So, what's the point of a free trial? But, it didn't matter, because they were about as far off base as possible with matches. I recall being particular about a few things...don't like sports, don't want anyone who is a sports nut, and I think every guy matched with me was listing sports as something they couldn't live without. :rolleyes: I don't know what the point of all that profile information was when they seemed to just ignore it anyway and matched me to completely incompatible people. And, you can't just browse around for other more compatible people. I quit the site before the free trial was over.

Maybe you should just tell W that she can't leave until she trains a replacement. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Danger, I'm sorry to hear that you and W are splitting. :frown:
Thanks, Moonie. As mentioned elsewhere, we've already split up but are still sharing a home and a bed. We're going to be friends forever. She's not moving away until August. I hope that she leaves it until the last half of August, because the 14th will be her 59th birthday and I want to do something special for her.

I too am sorry to hear your relationship has split, Danger. I'm curious, though, if it's not too personal to ask. If it is, please just say. Why are you keen to jump right back in again? Or are you just exploring options?

The latter, Georgina. I spent my entire life (after moving back to Alberta) looking for someone. There were a couple of casual things that never worked out, and 6 1/2 years wasted on a woman who finally elected to remain with her husband.
I ran into W by accident. Her (now our) nephew had been a casual friend for a couple of years, and invited me to their table at the bar when they were celebrating her sister's 70th birthday, and thence to her home for continued partying. W and I wanted nothing to do with each other. In fact, she jumped into some other guy's lap rather than sit beside me. Our niece who is now staying with us was there, as well as the other niece whose home it was.
Next day, W and the live-in niece showed up at my house, pissed as nits, and dragged me back to their place for a party. W was just visiting, so all of us were in the same little apartment. After about 8 hours, W drove me out to the country, where we got busy in the back of the van in a friend's driveway. Then she rented us a motel room for the next 2 weeks, then we moved back into the niece's place. With the exception of 2 arguments, I haven't been back to my house in over 3 years.
I avoided making an emotional commitment for the first couple of years, because I was sure that she was in 'rebound' mode. Her husband had just died of cancer a couple of months before we met. It turned out that we do really love each other, but neither of us has been 'in' love. This is a totally painless split on both sides. I have become accustomed to having a built-in date, though, and also I am now going to have to figure out how to work a vacuum cleaner.

Last edited:

Danger said:
also I am now going to have to figure out how to work a vacuum cleaner.

Most models I have seen have a large switch somewhere on the top. Not sure what to do after you press it though.

However, if would like to know how to replace dust bag, I have some experience that I am willing to share. You yell "Junior, Mom told to replace dust bag".

Happy matches, everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

Danger said:
..and also I am now going to have to figure out how to work a vacuum cleaner.

For sex? Surely you'll find someone before it comes to that. :eek:

Math Is Hard said:
For sex?

Are you nuts?! That's why I have a cat and 5 rolls of duct tape.

Danger said:
Are you nuts?! That's why I have a cat and 5 rolls of duct tape.
What? No liver and olive oil?

turbo-1 said:
What? No liver and olive oil?

That's merely a back-up plan.

Aaaaaaaaaaa!~

Yeah... If the duct tape fails and the cat explodes, another receptacle is nice to have available.

OK, here is where you either go with friends and make a bunch of cat loving enemy's or your keep quiet and be a suck up... hmmmmmm
BLAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!~

Lacy33 said:
OK, here is where you either go with friends and make a bunch of cat loving enemy's

That's enemies. :tongue:
And it should be pretty obvious from my post that I am a cat lover. :uhh:

As an update, W went off the rails on me today, so I'm moving myself and my cat back to my house. I have about 1 1/2 hours to do so before she gets back from work. Tomorrow I'll be making arrangements to have the water back on within a couple of days. Unfortunately, I will have no internet connection. I'll check in once in a while, but it's a 2 mile walk to the local library to use one of their computers. I still have my computer, but no phone line. Once I get my Social Assistance or AISH set up, I might be able to afford a new connection. In the meantime, don't fret for me. I'll try to log on whenever possible, and I'll be thinking of you all.

Danger said:
and I'll be thinking of you all.

And vice versa :biggrin:

Bye, bye for now enemy. Will be waiting for your return.
Yeah and I love cats too, just am very allergic so we stick with fish cause they keep their fur under water.

FYI (especially for you, Danger) about eHarmony:
eHarmony: Heart and soul

By Janet Kornblum, USA TODAY

PASADENA, Calif. — You've no doubt seen Neil Clark Warren on TV commercials: He's the affable, silver-haired gentleman touting eHarmony, the rapidly growing online dating site he founded five years ago.
A psychologist with a divinity degree, Warren has emerged from the Christian community — three of his 10 books on love and dating were published by conservative Focus on the Family — to become one of the Internet's most unlikely entrepreneurs.
Warren started out marketing primarily to Christian sites, touting eHarmony as "based on the Christian principles of Focus on the Family author Dr. Neil Clark Warren."

The connection may come as a surprise to today's mainstream users: Nothing in Warren's TV or radio ads ($50 million spent last year, $80 million projected this year) hints at his Christian background.

And while it's no secret, the Web site doesn't play it up, either.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-05-18-eharmony_x.htm

Gokul43201 said:
FYI (especially for you, Danger) about eHarmony:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-05-18-eharmony_x.htm

That doesn't seem so bad to me. It depends what a customer is looking for.

I really didn't plan to start dating right now and who knows how things will work out after just one weekend. But dating life might not be so bad.

I wonder if they filter out alcoholics in their questionaire. And anyone who practices the really kinky things like human sacrifice after sex, of course.

Hi; I'm back for a little while.
Thanks for that last post, Gokul. And thanks to everyone for the kind messages.
As happened in previous conflicts, W called me the next day and said that I'm still welcome here (I'm in her apartment right now, using her net connection) until she moves in August. It was too late for me to give up my own house, though. Lucy's already re-established there, and the water is back in service after $500 worth of plumbing (which was less than half of what I expected it to cost; a bunch of pipes froze last year because of a broken basement window). I've been back here almost every day to visit or watch some TV, but this is the first time that I thought to bring my computer. (She doesn't have one, and my internet account is attached to her phone.)
Anyhow, I still have my key, I'm welcome any time without knocking, she keeps trying to feed me, and she gave me her minivan to use for as long as she's here.
Hmmm... she called me on my cell while I was typing this (not knowing that I was in her place), nagging me to take a shave and change my clothes because she's going to take me into see my mother tonight after work.
Okay, I'm going to slip out and spend my last few bucks on a 6-pack to prepare for it. Be back in a few minutes.

Interesting relation you have, it makes a fascinating reading :rolleyes:

It seems all I've ever found on the dating sites are total nutcases.

Averagesupernova said:
It seems all I've ever found on the dating sites are total nutcases.

As opposed to what you've found in GD...? :uhh:

GD meaning? General Discussion here at PF? I have no expectations from this site. LOL I don't take anything too seriously concerning my social life from ANY web-site. Everyday life face to face interaction is a different story. In fact, I sometimes wonder if we would be better off without the internet and technology when it comes to our social lives. I'm not saying kill the internet or anything like that, but it just seems like some people don't know how to interact with other people without pushing buttons on a keyboard or mobile device.

Averagesupernova said:
...but it just seems like some people don't know how to interact with other people without pushing buttons on a keyboard or mobile device.
It's amazing and disappointing to me how the text or call always seems to take precedence over the actual, real life interaction right in front of people.

zoobyshoe said:
It's amazing and disappointing to me how the text or call always seems to take precedence over the actual, real life interaction right in front of people.
Too true. I have a cell phone, but always turn it off (not even vibration mode) when I'm visiting with family or friends. I wish others would do the same. I have a friend that looks at his phone maybe once an hour or so - not to check on calls, but because he stopped wearing a watch years ago when he started traveling regularly to India, Kashmir, Nepal, etc on business. His phone is his watch, now.

BobG said:
I wonder if they filter out alcoholics in their questionaire. And anyone who practices the really kinky things like human sacrifice after sex, of course.

Some of these sites decidedly somehow filter out people with depression. One of my friends was rejected (a rather depressed grad student finishing the dissertation stage after a brother's suicide)... as well as my husband (at one point before we hooked up). I think they at least had some disclosure about this to my friend. When my husband did it, he looked for matches "anywhere in the world" and was just told there were "no matches found" (like that helped ease the depression)! We find this later point funny now.

Danger said:
Hmmm... she called me on my cell while I was typing this (not knowing that I was in her place), nagging me to take a shave and change my clothes because she's going to take me into see my mother tonight after work.
Okay, I'm going to slip out and spend my last few bucks on a 6-pack to prepare for it. Be back in a few minutes.

Hmmm... Danger wasn't back in a few minutes... makes me curious! Danger could make an episode of a daytime soap... better than any crap I was submitted to as a kid when we had days off school and mom was doing laundry!