Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone here in MENSA?

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    Just wondering...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No, I was warned against the politics many, many years ago by a couple of friends that worked at NASA that quit MENSA, besides seeing no point to the organization, they both said most members were not exceptionally bright but were exceedingly obnoxious. I guess how bad or good the people you meet vary, but I've heard almost all negatives about the attitudes. Do these people actually do anything constructive?

4. Nov 1, 2007 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You were warned against it, but do you qualify?

I'm not a member of Mensa and nor do I know if I quality. I would my IQ is higher than average but probably not quite that high.

5. Nov 1, 2007 #4

berkeman

I was a member back in highschool, but didn't get much out of it and didn't keep up my membership.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  6. Nov 1, 2007 #5

Evo

Yes, I do qualify, I was professionally tested at the request of a school teacher, so I have valid test scores, which Mensa will accept.

7. Nov 1, 2007 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My mother was a member but didn't keep it up because she didn't get much out of it.

8. Nov 1, 2007 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was a member several years ago. They had decent forum, but you had to be a member of compuserve to get to it (early 90s, before net browsers became the norm). Their magazine was dreadful, and their mailserve discussions were dominated by the most obnoxious more-mensa-than-you jerks I can imagine.

Evidently, it's a good organization if you like regular Scrabble competitions. I was not impressed.

9. Nov 1, 2007 #8
    I am a MENSA drop out. I just couldn't stand being around people, who were so full of their own egos. Everyone talking over each other, trying to tell you how smart they are.:yuck:

10. Nov 1, 2007 #9

Astronuc

I kept getting invited to join, but decided not too for the reasons stated by Evo, berkeman, Chi Meson and hypatia.

And believe me, Evo is certainly overqualified to be in Mensa, but I am pleased she didn't/wouldn't lower her standards. :approve:

I wish that I had had a forum like PF in which to participate, but that was back before the internet.

11. Nov 1, 2007 #10
    I was told MENSA was borderline NWO.

12. Nov 1, 2007 #11
    I don't see why anyone would join that kind of group in the first place.

13. Nov 1, 2007 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Neither do I. Wish I had someone to wave me away back then. But, no great loss. Was only $30 or so.

14. Nov 2, 2007 #13

Astronuc

PF is a much better investment!

15. Nov 2, 2007 #14
    I just went over to their website and took their sample test. It seemed rather easy to me for this sort of thing, what's next in the sequence, what item in the list is different from the others, etc. I spent 5 minutes on it when they gave me 30 and I got 21 right out of 30, not exactly Mensa quality, you would think. But the response I got was that if I took the real test, I would probably pass it. This leaves me with the impression that to Mensa, everyone with $30 is smart.

16. Nov 2, 2007 #15

Astronuc

You're catching on! You may be Mensa material afterall. :biggrin:

17. Nov 2, 2007 #16

Doc Al

Just for a laugh I joined many decades ago, thinking it would be a good place to meet girls. (Yeah, I guess I wasn't that smart.) I went to one of their testing centers in NYC, where they give you two IQ tests. One was so ancient (diagrams from the 1950s, I think) and so fuzzily printed that I couldn't even recognize some of the objects in the visual analogies portion. (Oh... that ball was supposed to be the moon!)

I recall that one of the tests was a joke, really easy if you know a bit of algebra. (If you didn't know algebra or basic math, you'd really have to be sharp to pass.) The other test was very strange, filled with odd verbal analogies like: VERY is to WAS as APPLE is to ??? Somehow, I got the same score on both.

I went to a few meetings. Seems that the major topic of conservation was just how smart everyone was, and whether you qualified for an even smarter, more exclusive subgroup. A snorefest. I even went to a Mensa convention, where I was shocked at the number of members who apparently believed in nonsense such as astrology and ESP.

I didn't last long. My experience may not be typical, as NYC has a lot of nutballs.

18. Nov 2, 2007 #17
    was a member. the whole family was in and they were very devoted to the circle of friends that were members in my growing up years. they were engineers, mathematicians and scientists. they were a fun crowd. not stuck on themselves at all. drunks perhaps, but not arrogant. didn't see anything wrong with it until I got older and found that the old mensa crowd had changed to a younger bunch of people stuck on themselves indeed.
    It still meant a lot to me because my mother still believed the people were the same. just not the case. perhaps she will never find out.

19. Nov 2, 2007 #18
    I decided to go to Mensa headquarters and find out the real skinny on this group. When I got the the door, they said I couldn't get in unless I got a puzzle right. They asked me "What's the next name in the sequence:"
    Bush, Clinton, Bush, ...
    I answered Clinton and slid right in. A fellow there motioned for me to sit down next to him. He asked me my name and when I told him, he said "That's right, you get 5 points". When I asked his name he posed me the following: What's found on a duck, a goose, and a platypus. I said Bill, and he said that's right, "Bill Webb". I asked him what his IQ was and he said: What's the next number in the sequence:

129, 130, 131, 132, ...
    I said 133? and he said right. Then he asked me my IQ. I said $30 and left.

Here is my take on this. If you laid all the Mensa members end to end, you would never finish because there's another one born every minute.

20. Nov 2, 2007 #19

Astronuc

Definitely a contender for Funniest PF Member! :rofl:

21. Nov 2, 2007 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They have at least a few interesting members. In fact, some their members might debunk a few things said in the 'prettiest person' thread:

Geena Davis, actress (in fact, a good actress)
    Dr. Julie Peterson, former Playboy "Playmate"
    Deborah Yates, member of the Radio City Rockettes

Some, you'd think if they were so smart, they might be a little more concerned about preserving their smarts:

Bobby Czyz, former WBA Cruiserweight champion and now a boxing commentator (he had an excuse - his family was so poor they couldn't afford vowels).
    Henry Milligan, 1983 National Amateur Heavyweight Champion (boxing)
    Maurice Kanbar, owner of Skyy Vodka (although selling it doesn't necessarily mean he uses it to kill brain cells every night)

Most interesting has to be Bob Speca, Jr, professional domino toppler. (sad to say, but I'm not actually saying that with sarcasm - domino toppling is kind of cool, even if it is an awful lot work for a few seconds of pleasure).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?