Anyone here into coin shrinking?

• Thread starter Pocketwatch
  • Start date
In summary: Has anyone?I agree. The force obviously acts on a vector from all points on the circumfrence toward the center. The circumfrence shrinks, the center thickens. Mass and volume are conserved.It doesn't seem that amazing...i'm not so sure that someone good with a hammer couldn't shape a coin anyhow without machines.
Pocketwatch
It seems to be an interesting hobby. Might be a little dangerous though if you aren't careful with electricity.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0%2C12543%2C490445%2C00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Go ahead and debunk it. Who wants to be first? :biggrin:

I think the coins are aliens in disguise made by extraterrestial technology just waiting for their moment to overtake humanity ... you conviced me or was that myself :/

Last edited:
Isnt defacing currency illegal?

I am very skeptical about this process. This would imply that either a significant amount of metal has been removed, or if that is not the case, then the smaller coin has then same mass as the original, therefore the density has been been changed.~^ If this is the case something very strange has happened.

I suspect a hidden lost wax casting machine.

Has this process been repeated by independent labs?

But why would a person want to shrink coins?

Pocketwatch said:
I don't doubt it can be done like they say. If I had all the capacitors and step up transformers it takes, I would shrink some coins myself. Other metal objects can be shrunk as well.

The mass of the coin remains the same. According to them, it is legal.

Here is a good page that describes the process.

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinkergallery.html

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinker.html

From those links, it looks like there is significant thickening. That makes sense. The magnetic forces would cause a stress that could be relieved by a reduction of surface area to volume ratio.

Njorl

recon said:
But why would a person want to shrink coins?

Judging from their price list of shrunken coins, it could be quite profitable. Especially since it seems very few people are doing it.

I found out about coin shrinking while I was searching for a way to compress time.

I am more interested in time compression than time dilation.

Pocketwatch said:
I found out about coin shrinking while I was searching for a way to compress time.

I am more interested in time compression than time dilation.

Hey, time is money!

Njorl

Njorl said:
From those links, it looks like there is significant thickening. That makes sense. The magnetic forces would cause a stress that could be relieved by a reduction of surface area to volume ratio.
I agree. The force obviously acts on a vector from all points on the circumfrence toward the center. The circumfrence shrinks, the center thickens. Mass and volume are conserved.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem that amazing...i'm not so sure that someone good with a hammer couldn't shape a coin anyhow without machines.

I haven't seen any shrunken coins on ebay.

1. How does coin shrinking work?

Coin shrinking is a process where a coin is heated and then quickly cooled, causing the metal to contract and shrink in size. This can be done using a flame or a special tool called a coin shrinking machine.

2. Can any coin be shrunk?

Coin shrinking works best with coins made of copper, bronze, or silver. These metals are more malleable and can be easily manipulated through heating and cooling. Coins made of iron or steel are not suitable for shrinking.

3. Is coin shrinking legal?

Coin shrinking is not illegal, but it is considered a form of alteration or defacement of currency. In some cases, it may be illegal to use the shrunken coins as legal tender or to sell them as collectibles.

4. Does coin shrinking affect the value of a coin?

Yes, coin shrinking can significantly decrease the value of a coin. Shrinking a coin alters its original appearance and can damage the coin's surface, making it less desirable to collectors or numismatists.

5. Can coin shrinking be reversed?

No, coin shrinking cannot be reversed. Once a coin is shrunk, it cannot be returned to its original size and shape. Attempting to reverse the shrinking process can further damage the coin and decrease its value.