Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone here into coin shrinking?

1. Apr 27, 2004 #1
    It seems to be an interesting hobby. Might be a little dangerous though if you aren't careful with electricity.

Coin shrinking
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2004 #2
    Go ahead and debunk it. Who wants to be first? :biggrin:
  4. Apr 28, 2004 #3
    I think the coins are aliens in disguise made by extraterrestial technology just waiting for their moment to overtake humanity ... you conviced me or was that myself :/
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  5. Apr 28, 2004 #4
    Isnt defacing currency illegal?
  6. Apr 29, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am very skeptical about this process. This would imply that either a significant amount of metal has been removed, or if that is not the case, then the smaller coin has then same mass as the original, therefore the density has been been changed.~^ If this is the case something very strange has happened.

I suspect a hidden lost wax casting machine.

Has this process been repeated by independent labs?
  7. Apr 29, 2004 #6
    I don't doubt it can be done like they say. If I had all the capacitors and step up transformers it takes, I would shrink some coins myself. Other metal objects can be shrunk as well.

The mass of the coin remains the same. According to them, it is legal.

Here is a good page that describes the process.

8. Apr 29, 2004 #7
    But why would a person want to shrink coins?
  9. Apr 29, 2004 #8

Science Advisor

From those links, it looks like there is significant thickening. That makes sense. The magnetic forces would cause a stress that could be relieved by a reduction of surface area to volume ratio.

10. Apr 30, 2004 #9
    Judging from their price list of shrunken coins, it could be quite profitable. Especially since it seems very few people are doing it.
  11. May 1, 2004 #10
    I found out about coin shrinking while I was searching for a way to compress time.

I am more interested in time compression than time dilation.
  12. May 3, 2004 #11

Science Advisor

Hey, time is money!

13. May 3, 2004 #12
    I agree. The force obviously acts on a vector from all points on the circumfrence toward the center. The circumfrence shrinks, the center thickens. Mass and volume are conserved.
    Last edited: May 3, 2004
  14. May 3, 2004 #13
    It doesn't seem that amazing...i'm not so sure that someone good with a hammer couldn't shape a coin anyhow without machines.

I haven't seen any shrunken coins on ebay.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?