Anyone here play portal? Mechanics question

Say I place a portal on the underside of a table. I place a large sheet of cardboard on top of the table and then place a portal on the sheet. I then stand in the portal so my legs are below-table and my torso is above-table. Can I lift the cardboard?

Answers and Replies

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I'm not sure current physic describes the interactions of "portals". However I personally would say yes, you can move it.

This is a great question. I think the answer would depend on whether or not a portal's relative position can be changed. If so, then I would say yes, you could lift the cardboard. Consequently, your legs would be forced to bend downwards to make room for your torso underneath the table. Otherwise, the table would need to be lifted as well.

Once again, this is a great question. I recently turned in a project analyzing the physics of "Portal" in my high school physics class, and I think my teacher will be happy to hear this question.

If your feet are on the ground I would say that you should be able to lift the sheet in both the case where the portal moves with the sheet and in the case where the sheet is fixed in space but permits matter to pass trough its position. The only time it would not permit the movement would be when the portal is fixed in space and completely attached to the sheet.

Anybody tried the new Portal ?

Depends on where your arms are. Actually, the sheet would be in between the underside of the table and the portal. You can't reach it.

ideasrule
Homework Helper
Are there even any movable objects that you can shoot a portal onto? Somebody should try this out in the game.

Are there even any movable objects that you can shoot a portal onto? Somebody should try this out in the game.

if I remember correctly all box objects are smaller than a portal.

if I remember correctly all box objects are smaller than a portal.

Correct.

I don't think you could make a portal on a moving object.

FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
Somebody should try this out in the game.
I want to, but I don't have it yet.
I don't think you could make a portal on a moving object.
Maybe they could add that feature in a sequel.

I want to, but I don't have it yet.

You're missing out big time.
Maybe they could add that feature in a sequel.

The sequel was just released.

I am going to play it soon!

ideasrule
Homework Helper
You're missing out big time.

The sequel was just released.

Have you tried both 1 and 2? Most people say that Portal 1 is definitely worth the small price, but 2 is $50.

Have you tried both 1 and 2? Most people say that Portal 1 is definitely worth the small price, but 2 is $50.

Only played 1, awaiting delivery of 2.

FlexGunship
Gold Member
Only played 1, awaiting delivery of 2.

The co-op in Portal 2 is worth it alone. It's awesome to solve puzzles that require 4 portals and not just 2.