Anyone here speedcube?

I'm just wondering if anyone on the PF ever solves the Rubik's cube competitively or with a relatively fast time. I'm currently at a 25 second average and once I get to sub 20 by the end of July, I'll join some competitions for fun. I'm also trying to solve the Rubik's cube blindfolded, but it takes me about 4 and a half minutes on average (when it's not a DNF, of course). It's really not that hard to improve your times by the way in case you're interested. I solved the 3x3 in around 2 minutes last month and I've been improving ever since.

Answers and Replies

turbo
Gold Member
There was a time when the cubes were on bar-counters and cafe tables all over the place. I drank a lot of free beers betting people that I could solve a cube in under 2 minutes, but I never worked at it long enough to do it reliably in under a minute.

I really respect people who could solve the Rubik's cube back then since there were no published methods or much help for people to learn how to solve it. I doubt I could solve the Rubik's cube without already knowing all the algorithms needed and trying to make my own. It was remarkable just it solving back then, but now there's a plethora of different methods, most explained very well so that literally anyone can solve it.

turbo
Gold Member
I really respect people who could solve the Rubik's cube back then since there were no published methods or much help for people to learn how to solve it. I doubt I could solve the Rubik's cube without already knowing all the algorithms needed and trying to make my own. It was remarkable just it solving back then, but now there's a plethora of different methods, most explained very well so that literally anyone can solve it.
It was pretty gnarly when the cubes first came out, but if you were persistent, you could derive some rules. I used to like starting with a solved cube, and figure out how to get a corner or edge piece moved to a different location with X orientation. That got me going, though extrapolating to series of moves that change a lot of stuff simultaneously was an uphill slog.

I can solve the Rubik's cube fairly quickly. It usually takes me something like 30 seconds, my fastest time is 21 seconds and a bit. I could improve my times a lot by learning all the algorithms for the last layer, but I don't really consider it worth the effort as I have no interest in cubing competitively.

Do you use the Fridrich/CFOP method?

Yeah, I use the intuitive Fridrich method for the first two layers and a two-look approach for the last layer.

Mentallic
Homework Helper
I have a 3 year old cube thats sitting on my desk and still unfinished.